Saw Bake

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, after reading a bunch of threads, I went and bought some stihl grey and painted the clutch cover. Wet sanded the chips and scratches and put 3 coats. Then baked it at 170 degrees for 40 min. came out real nice. Now my question is do I need to drain the gas and oil out of the head before I put it in the oven??:jawdrop:and where is that master link so I can pop the chain off the bar?:)

Just kidding.

But really, can i use the plain Polyurethane spray to protect the paint?

Millman

thanks

Thanks Brad,
I got the idea from one of your previous posts and couldnt fine it. Glad you answered.

Greg

Yes it does, but after a day up here in the cold and wet, it still felt a little tacky. After baking, you could tell the difference. Do a search on Painting with Stihl paint and you'll see a wealth of suggestions, trials and errors. Also I never baked anything before. who knows, I may have another career!

Millman

No bake plastic

The plastic you should be able to fine sand the grit away. From other posts, the Stihl orange is not very good. I was going to try some clear poly on a extra shroud I have and see. I had the clutch cover in the woods yesterday in the mud and snow and it held up really nice. I'll let you know how the poly works on the plastic, if I remember!

Millman

I've been putting clear poly over the color coat for a couple years now. Just make sure it air dries for at least 48 hours or longer to be safe. Spilled oil and gas hasn't caused any problems. Got a Husky 268 in process. I cleaned the plastic top cover with acetone (didn't hurt the plastic at all and cleaned it really well) then followed with clear poly. It's pretty glossy, though.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by
legislating the wealthy out of freedom.... When half of the people get the idea that
they do not have to work because the other half is going to
take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea
that it does no good to work because somebody else is going
to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the
end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

~~~~~ Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931

:monkey:....... Now that's a quote.

Nice buzz sawyer!

Back