Saw break in time?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I bought my 2159 in January on it's second trip cutting fire wood it had about 5 full tanks through it and a non cat muffler put on it.{the muffler mod followed on the third trip}But it was very noticeable how the power picked up! I did richen up the H side after the muffler mod matched the port to the exhaust port on the saw and added a 1/2 inch hole with a short piece of pipe and screen to the top right hand looking down at it, corner of the muff. I need a new camera as mine had a accident! but it looks just like the European version of the saw but with more flow.It did get stronger after the mod but in stock form 5 tanks really did loosen up the saw.
So basically the question is how many tanks on a saw before it is broke in? I did'nt baby it just went out and cut wood. I personally would say 7-10tanks in the saw,but after 5 it was running better!

I bought my 2159 in January on it's second trip cutting fire wood it had about 5 full tanks through it and a non cat muffler put on it.{the muffler mod followed on the third trip}But it was very noticeable how the power picked up! I did richen up the H side after the muffler mod matched the port to the exhaust port on the saw and added a 1/2 inch hole with a short piece of pipe and screen to the top right hand looking down at it, corner of the muff. I need a new camera as mine had a accident! but it looks just like the European version of the saw but with more flow.It did get stronger after the mod but in stock form 5 tanks really did loosen up the saw.
So basically the question is how many tanks on a saw before it is broke in? I did'nt baby it just went out and cut wood. I personally would say 7-10tanks in the saw,but after 5 it was running better!

Just keep cuttin' wood and don't worry about it...:popcorn:

Gary

This is for the Homeowner saws, 2141, 2145, 2150, and for the Professional saws, 2147, 2152, 2156, 2159.
The factory carb settings are counter clockwise out from light clockwise stop; H = 1, L = 1, around 600 – 700 RPM lower then Max RPM (this is from the factory).
After at least 3 – 4 hour brake in period, the carb should then be re-tuned.
(the specs I have given here is from the technical workshop manual)

My 2152 started to loosen up really good after 8 tanks, and after 12 tanks it was broken in and I re-tuned the carb. My 2159 was almost the same, around 8 tanks it had loosen up extremely good and was running more and more powerful. This saw's are non-cat and I'm running them on 98-Oct gas whit full-synthetic 2-stroke oils.
attachment.php

This is for the Homeowner saws, 2141, 2145, 2150, and for the Professional saws, 2147, 2152, 2156, 2159.
The factory carb settings are counter clockwise out from light clockwise stop; H = 1, L = 1, around 600 – 700 RPM lower then Max RPM (this is from the factory).
After at least 3 – 4 hour brake in period, the carb should then be re-tuned.
(the specs I have given here is from the technical workshop manual)

My 2152 started to loosen up really good after 8 tanks, and after 12 tanks it was broken in and I re-tuned the carb. My 2159 was almost the same, around 8 tanks it had loosen up extremely good and was running more and more powerful. This saw's are non-cat and I'm running them on 98-Oct gas whit full-synthetic 2-stroke oils.
attachment.php
Thanks for the input I also have to compensate for my altitude. Most of my cutting is at 5200ft on my gps all on 94-oct gas. I find my saws run rich if I set them up in the backyard 3700ft not a big difference, but the saws do run different in the woods. I always forget to bring my tach with me when I go to get firewood!!!

IMO around 10 tanks is enough for break-in, then i retune and thats it...

Just keep cuttin' wood and don't worry about it... :popcorn:

...oh wait, I already said that. :help:

Gary
That's what I do, but I was curious to see how many tanks of fuel most of you find it takes before the saw is broke in.Really starts running good. It seems everyone thinks the same :clap:

'cept me... I don't count tanks of fuel... nor do I "break in" saws... but that's me.

Gary
I do three tanks = one pickup truck of fire wood that way I don't cut more than I can bring back unless I take my trailer also.but that does not include limbing I use another saw for that.

It may be my imagination; but, I seem to notice power improvement after the third tank or so. And it seems to level off after 5 to 7 tanks of fuel. The important part for me is to let the saw 'warm up' good before I begin sustained cutting; and, to let it idle a bit before I shut it down for any extended period of time. Same philosophy seems to work for my 'engine' when I go on long bike rides too. :cheers:

I suspect there may be a differense between one- and two-ring pistone, but I don't really care.

10 litres/15 tanks is what my dealers (Husky and Stihl) have said, and I believe it is close enough..........:D :D

Back