Saw can't clear chips quick enuff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of saw is it? Baileys sells wide clutch covers for husqvarna's that are supposed to let the chips clear out easier

That's why they make skip tooth chain.... For big saws and big bars, or underpowered saws that can't pull the bar they are running...

I keep about a inch of space between the trunk and the dawgs when sawing if the problem arises. That usually solves the problem for me. Enough room for chip clearance.

Ahh yes, another strong case for the large felling dogs and roller chain catcher. Also I've found that RS chain with rakers at -.040" while noodling wet cottonwood is enough to plug a MS441RCM right solid.

I've seen guys take the clutch cover off and run a few flat washers in its place for a temporary "make do" if it is a once in a lifetime thing.
I've also seen some cut away part of the clutch cover along the rear bottom to let them clear.

Mike

Setting up your rakers to the best height for the saw/bar/wood is the first thing to do. Try that first. While you are at it clean the debris out of the clutch housing, clean the bar groove , and dress the rails.

As mentioned dawgs that hold the saw away from the wood help, but I think the monster ones/doubles on a saw < 70cc is a mismatch. You also loose an extra inch of effective bar length that the saw still has to pull.

Next on the list, if it's a saw with an oversized bar, would to try semi skip. Most 70+ cc saws won't need to do this with bars up to 25" if the chain is set up properly.

Last resort would be full skip chain.

That IMHO

thank you for all the good advice :msp_smile: Im not running an over size bar and I do keep it out
an inch from wood my chain is set up right but I will give a skip tooth a try next time I'm
in town ill pick up a loop o and my saw in ? is my little 009L now laugh if you like :hmm3grin2orange:
I think it is kinda funny and getting to be a pain.

Last edited:
If you can't find skip chain for that little saw, I'd grind some teeth off. Two teeth together then leave two teeth, etc. Just don't touch the links.

When I was cutting alot of big wood up for firewood, I used to run my saws without the clutch cover when I was noodling big rounds. You just need a few washers in there like Moperman said. It's awesome to see the noodles fly with the clutch cover removed. :D

just 3/8
its the biggest bar Id run on a 42cc saw it has no problem pulling the chain with the
full bar in the wood it just cant clear all the chips quick enuff.

Latest posts

Back