Saw Chain Gauge!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigblackdodge

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So why are there different widths of drive links? Which ones do you prefer to run? Why? Is one better than another? I ask because i have several saws that i would like to be able to swap bars, chains & rims around on. Would save a lot of money and simplify my operation.

So all your saws have the same pitch, but different gauge? Pitch is the most complicating variable.

So all your saws have the same pitch, but different gauge? Pitch is the most complicating variable.

No, I have 3 different pitches right now. 3/8 Low Profile on the Homelite and McCulloch both in a .50 gauge and in a .43 gauge on the MS170, .325 on the MS290 in a .63 and 3/8 on the 038 in a .63.
I need new bars and chains for the MS290 & 038, I would like to buy the same pitch, gauge & rim sizes for both saws and be able to swap bars around on them some. It would really simplify things for me.

It is my understanding that gauge doesnt really matter. Its just a way for manufacturers to make bars and chains less interchangable and more brand specific. On your MS170, you can go to a 3/8lp .050 gauge. That solves your small saws. For your larger saws, you just have to decide which pitch to go with, .325 or 3/8, then get the same gauge. You'll also have to swap out a rim on one of the saws to fit the new pitch. Maybe some more experienced people on here can recommend which pitch to choose for your large saws. It would probably help is you mentioned what length of bars you run on the larger saws.

Another thought, do 3/8lp and 3/8 take the same sprocket/rim? Could he potentially go 3/8 (lp chain for small saws, regular 3/8 for larger saws) .050 for everything?

Last edited:
The sprockets differ in size and shape for 3/8lp and 3/8 pitch, since the tie straps and drive links are different. Some users run 3/8lp on the 3/8 rim and sprocket, but since the wearing surfaces are mis-matched, the wear is increased.

I just have two saws now but have standardized even those as I have miscellaneous bars and chains hanging around. Getting rid of all except 16" .050 .325 for the small saw and 20" 0.050 3/8" and 26 .058 3/8" for he larger saw. The 26" bar just came in .058. Much easier to remember that way and less chance of grabbing a chain and ending up with the wrong one.

Bill

Latest posts

Back