Saw Chain Grinding Angles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol' Brian

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was sharpening chains earlier today, and got to wondering about the effects of different angles.

I sharpen everything at 25/55/0... and it's been working well enough forever. But, as sometimes happens, I started wondering if there was something better. I couldn't find much at all tonight just searching the web... so I figured I'd ask here. Wondering if anyone has done any real research and put the results down on paper... what does changing the angles do to how the chain cuts and performs?

Anyone have any info that they'd care to share?

Hey guys, I was sharpening chains earlier today, and got to wondering about the effects of different angles.

I sharpen everything at 25/55/0... and it's been working well enough forever. But, as sometimes happens, I started wondering if there was something better. I couldn't find much at all tonight just searching the web... so I figured I'd ask here. Wondering if anyone has done any real research and put the results down on paper... what does changing the angles do to how the chain cuts and performs?

Anyone have any info that they'd care to share?

Hello Ol' Brian, it would help if you would state what chain you have been sharpening .

And the intention behind the grind (exs. speed, bite, durability, etc.)
That's really the meat of my question... you just asked it in a statement:

What is the effect of different angles on the cutting performance of the chain.

Hello Ol' Brian, it would help if you would state what chain you have been sharpening .

I'll just say 3/8" .050... because I don't really know anymore. All good quality chain, no cheap chinese stuff. All either Oregon or Carlton. Most is full chisel, but I do have a couple of semi-chisel chains. All previously sharpened to 25/55/0. And to my way of thinking, once you deviate away from and alter the factory grind, you no longer really have 72LGX or whatever it was that you started out with except for the properties of the metal that the chain is made from. Ever hear anyone say their chains cut better than the factory grind after they sharpen them themselves?

All the wood I cut is Midwest hardwoods.

That's really the meat of my question... you just asked it in a statement:

What is the effect of different angles on the cutting performance of the chain.

I'll just say 3/8" .050... because I don't really know anymore. All good quality chain, no cheap chinese stuff. All either Oregon or Carlton. Most is full chisel, but I do have a couple of semi-chisel chains. All previously sharpened to 25/55/0. And to my way of thinking, once you deviate away from and alter the factory grind, you no longer really have 72LGX or whatever it was that you started out with except for the properties of the metal that the chain is made from. Ever hear anyone say their chains cut better than the factory grind after they sharpen them themselves?

All the wood I cut is Midwest hardwoods.
Round or square?

Sharper angles will cut faster but dull faster as well. More blunt angles will last longer but not cut as fast. It’s all about balance. There’s not one setting that stands out above the rest. Something like 25/55 for hardwood and 30/50 for softwood
Yes… I agree with your sharpening angles… I use these angles too and find them to work just fine!

Latest posts

Back