saw choice 362 or 381

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another consideration: parts down the line. The 038 was first produced, when, around 1980 I think? That's 31 years' worth of aftermarket and used parts available even if new-manufacture parts stopped right this moment. The 362 has been on the market a little over a year, and is an entirely new design. There's no aftermarket, used parts are scarce, and dealers charge an arm and a leg. If you use the saw a lot, you may find the 381 much cheaper to maintain.

Old or not if the 381 performs like my 038 mag II you'll like it. It's just a slight bit slower than a stock 044 with dual port and only a pound heavier. Mine weighed the same as my 7900 and wasn't that far behind it in performance. The 038 mag II rev's up almost a high as a 044 too. Before the 044 came out, the 038 mag was a common PNW fallers saw. It may be an old design but it doesn't perform like it.

362 should be easier on fuel, probably giving you more production per tank. Better air filtration, and less (misplaced word removed) vibs. Unless you get into 25" bar usage I would opt for the lighter, more nimble 362. Latest technology as well.

Well said ;), but some of the later tech is due to EPA rules in the USA etc, and doesn't really help the user......

The added weight of the 362 vs. the 361 surely isn't an improvement.

i have less then two weeks to make up my mind the saw will be for my :bday: present and the sale runs out at the end of the month. I first wanted a 381 more power and cheaper price about 6 months ago but held off getting it and made do with what i had.
But now the wife has said that she will go up to 362 price
so im grinding my nut trying to work out which one I want :bang:

Mate, lots of good info here. I think you need to look at the needs of the saw and base your choice around that.

As stated, the 381 might be old tech but sure doesn't perform old.

Primo on the birthday purchase too, my last birthday present to myself was a Ducati Monster M900. The wife wasn't happy at first but when she got on the back she changed her mind. She AIN'T using my saws though lol

Mate I have never run a 362 but it is a little lower on power than the 381 however lighter which you might notice at the end of the day. Stihl.co.nz says it will run a 20" bar which is what the 381 came with as well.

Not sure if the 362 will be faster in the cut or not but it is still a commercial saw and I would doubt it would sneeze at pine.

Actually the quoted power of the 362 is slightly higher than the 381.

Although the 381 is not too bad a saw it is not really in the same league as the 362 as far as tech goes. the 362 will pull a 25 inch bar in pine and will last a long time is made in germany and spare parts will be available for a long time to come. The 381 is basically a dinosaur and is close to the end of its production life, It is made in Brazil, and the only way it wins over the 362 is the fact that it has 72cc's they do not rev as hard but they do pull well, my brother has one and his complaints are that it eats dust, basically The filtration is very sub par, My 034 cuts faster and is only slightly easier to bog up to 25 inch of bar but the 381 may pull a 28 in pine.

Personally I think the 362 would be worth the small amount extra.

Well said ;), but some of the later tech is due to EPA rules in the USA etc, and doesn't really help the user......

The added weight of the 362 vs. the 361 surely isn't an improvement.

that same comment was bandied about when the 441 took over from the 440/044, it didn't stop them selling!

Although the 381 is not too bad a saw it is not really in the same league as the 362 as far as tech goes. the 362 will pull a 25 inch bar in pine and will last a long time is made in germany and spare parts will be available for a long time to come. The 381 is basically a dinosaur and is close to the end of its production life, It is made in Brazil, and the only way it wins over the 362 is the fact that it has 72cc's they do not rev as hard but they do pull well, my brother has one and his complaints are that it eats dust, basically The filtration is very sub par, My 034 cuts faster and is only slightly easier to bog up to 25 inch of bar but the 381 may pull a 28 in pine.

That must be some 034.

My 036s can't come close to any of my 038Ms. And I would not even consider putting a 25" bar on the 036 as the 038M pulls with so much more authority.

Another thing you might want to consider, how much fun it will be working on the 362 carb setup (OMG) vs the simple carb on the 381

I do agree with your post except one small flaw. Stihl.co.nz quotes power for the 362 at 3.4Kw while the 381 is pushing 3.9kw.

Apart from that your post is very valid in terms of new tech verses old tech.

An interesting thought though that someone else posted was availabilty of parts. While the 381 is old tech there is many proven aftermarket parts for the saw and will be available for a long time. The 362 is fairly new tech so perhaps it has yet to stand the test of time.

I'm not playing mr bias here but I bought mine due to the small amount of more power, and the fact that my dealer failed to inform me that a 440/441 would be a better purchase due to being pro saws, new tech, lighter and just as powerful. I am not however regretting my 381 because it gives me an excuse to go out and get a MS660 followed by a MS460. CAD anyone lol

Why do you think they are reintroducing the 440? :msp_wink:

The same reason they did the 381, cause there are a lot of people out there who are just set on the old school style saws, and they were good saws.

Another consideration would be a shindaiwa 757 would be a bit cheaper than both, better filtration, and better power to weight than the 381, or for that matter a makita dolmar 7900 also a good saw at a good price.

along time ago I asked the quetsion about stihl 391 and husqavana 570 and got talked up to a 361/2
now I asked the question about a 362 and a 381 and im getting talked up to the next model
how odd I wounder where this path will lead me :laugh: :msp_unsure:

The same reason they did the 381, cause there are a lot of people out there who are just set on the old school style saws, and they were good saws.

..... .

:msp_rolleyes: Not comparable cases at all - the 381 is an improved 038Mag, made in Brazil, and sold at a reasonable price on markets where there are little or no emissions rules - while the new 440 probably is inspired by what Husky did to the 372xp, like the MS461 most likely is.....

Actually the quoted power of the 362 is slightly higher than the 381. ......

Posting obviously false "info" like that isn't helping anyone, it is a .5 kW difference the other way - you resemble an internet troll more all the time - just here to cause trouble and confution.....:angry:

An 038 Mag will walk on a 362. I've ran both quite a bit. My buddies MM'd 362 can't quite hang with my 038M. The 038 has loads of torque and you can lay on it hard before it will bog. Mine pulls a 25" bar as good as any saw would.
Not ran a 381 but I imagine it to be about like my 038M. If you need the extra power and can handle about a pound difference, then get the 381. If you want a lighter saw that will still get most things done about as quick then get the 362. A 362 really wakes up alot after being broken in well. I originally sold my 361 to get a 362 after running my buddies 362 that has around 25 tanks run on it and is mm'd. It's a screamer after being broken in, but still won't hang with my 038. It is pretty close though.
These two saws would be a hard choice for me.

Ran a 362 for the first time today. Power:Weight was nice, revved snappy, felt good in the hands... until I put it in wood. The A/V is too good -- can't feel the saw at all. Stiffer springs would help. Also the saw basically folds in half when you lean on it because of the soft springs. Otherwise, I think it's a pretty good machine. Aftermarket, get busy -- we need some stout springs for this puppy!

An 038 Mag will walk on a 362. I've ran both quite a bit. My buddies MM'd 362 can't quite hang with my 038M. The 038 has loads of torque and you can lay on it hard before it will bog. Mine pulls a 25" bar as good as any saw would.
Not ran a 381 but I imagine it to be about like my 038M. If you need the extra power and can handle about a pound difference, then get the 381. If you want a lighter saw that will still get most things done about as quick then get the 362. A 362 really wakes up alot after being broken in well. I originally sold my 361 to get a 362 after running my buddies 362 that has around 25 tanks run on it and is mm'd. It's a screamer after being broken in, but still won't hang with my 038. It is pretty close though.
These two saws would be a hard choice for me.

And if you Muffler Mod, mildly port and tighten up squish on the 038/381 you will have a wood eating beast that still has tons of torque. With shorter bars run a 8-pin and you won't notice the slower chain speeds in small stuff ( =,< 20").

Let me say up front that I am an unashamed Husky man, but I have run Stihls, (under sufferance).
Forget the 391 it is an absolute POS! Yes, I have run one.
Secondly it depends what you cut and how you cut it. Pine will favour chain speed, hardwoods will require torque.
The 362 may rev harder but to some degree you can compensate by lowering your depth guides and taking advantage of the superior torque of the 381. In order to preserve warranty I will assume that both saws are to be run as standard.
Perhaps consider other brands, Husqvarna and Makita/Dolmar come to mind, along with Jonsereds and try to actually run some of them in wood.
Stihl is not the be all and end all, (my local Stihl dealer has a Husky 372 as his personal saw:hmm3grin2orange:)
I have issues with the air filtration, anti vibe and metal quality on many Stihls, but to be fair would consider them for future purchases.
I agree with sawtroll that trial by video is a poor means of comparison, as are most advertised specs.
Pro saws would be my choice in any make and don't get carried away with bar length, it seems many see a chainsaw bar as a phallic extension.

got my new ms 362 o my god it cuts like a hot knife through butter more then enough power i must of had the biggest smile on my face after putting it through the 25inch round in a matter of seconds
:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:
thanks all for your in put

Latest posts

Back