Saw fixing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HI Bruce; The heat cycle is bad for the saws finishes so I only leave them in the drying cycle 5 mins and then open the door. If you are not going to be around to manually shut off the heat it is best to wire in a switch to disable the heater coil. I don`t have to wash my own saws often as I clean them after each use. It is usually saws that I fix for others or saws given to me and sometimes saws I pick up for parts or repair that are so gummed up from neglect that I put through the washer as I will not work on dirty machinery,guess it comes from my machines background. The 034 I was given a couple days back really was dirty and the flywheel,recoil rotor and cavity around the flywheel were impacted with so much gunk it had jammed the flywheel solid and the shop I got it from thought it was seized up. After going through the washer the flywheel would turn a little so it loosens up even solid crud but I still had to pry off the recoil cover to get at what was inside. It seemed like fine clay with a black sticky binder like hardened molasses,not sure what it was but once it was cleaned out I popped off the flywheel it was even in behind it. Once all cleaned out and put back together the saw runs really well. Pioneerguy600

Jerry. Thanks a million. I have learned something new again since I joined this website, in April. I never thought of using a dishwasher to clean parts with. Very impressive idea. Thank you so much for all your help, and advice. I greatly appreciate it.
Do you use dishwashing detergent, or do you use some type of degrees-er in the dishwasher? How much do you recommend. Thanks again Jerry. Bruce.

Jerry. Thanks a million. I have learned something new again since I joined this website, in April. I never thought of using a dishwasher to clean parts with. Very impressive idea. Thank you so much for all your help, and advice. I greatly appreciate it.
Do you use dishwashing detergent, or do you use some type of degrees-er in the dishwasher? How much do you recommend. Thanks again Jerry. Bruce.

Depending on how gunked up the saw is,really bad,add 1/2-1 cup degreaser ,just throw it in and let run. If the saw is only oil and sawdust dirty then dishwasher soap like cascade will work ,about 1/4 cup should do the job.Sometimes a little soapy water escapes over the retainer lip and seal so it helps to have it on a self draining floor like in the shop it is located near a sloped to a floor drain area.

Depending on how gunked up the saw is,really bad,add 1/2-1 cup degreaser ,just throw it in and let run. If the saw is only oil and sawdust dirty then dishwasher soap like cascade will work ,about 1/4 cup should do the job.Sometimes a little soapy water escapes over the retainer lip and seal so it helps to have it on a self draining floor like in the shop it is located near a sloped to a floor drain area.
Thanks again Jerry for your help. I'm thinking about moving the dish washer out to the barn, and putting in a small water heater out there as well. I can have the water drain into the gutter, for the stable cleaner, and it will run out to the run off pit.
The barn was built in 1987 and was used to Finnish pigs. The barn is empty right now with no livestock and I'm going to move my Dads Sheet Metal Fabricating Equipment from the Garage, out there as well, to give more room in the Garage for a third vehicle.
I also have a couple of Circular Saw Sharpening Machines, A Bel Saw Saw and Tool Grinder, that does Circular Saw Blades up to 16" and a Automatic Filing Machine does both hand saws, and Circular Saw Blades.
I built another mounting platform for Bel Saw Saw and Tool Grinder to be able to sharpen bigger sized Circular Saw Blades.
I traded a Farm Equipment Dealer a Grain Auger I had, for a Buss Saw, and I needed something to properly sharpen the Circular Saw Blade for the Buss Saw. Who ever had this Buss saw before me, sure made a mess of it trying to sharpen it.
So, I found these sharpening machines through e Bay, 3 hour away from me, and was able to get them for a good buy. Paid $400.00 US combined for machines worth $5000.00 to $6000.00 US combined.
I'm thinking of opening a All types of Saw Sharpening and Service out in the barn, and moving my Chain Saws (keep the gas smell out of the basement, where my saws are kept now) and Saw work bench and chain grinder out there too. Finish the partial partition, and insulate it, and put some kind of heater out there, for the winter.
Thanks again for your help Jerry. I appreciate all the advice you have given me. Bruce.

Thanks again Jerry for your help. I'm thinking about moving the dish washer out to the barn, and putting in a small water heater out there as well. I can have the water drain into the gutter, for the stable cleaner, and it will run out to the run off pit.
The barn was built in 1987 and was used to Finnish pigs. The barn is empty right now with no livestock and I'm going to move my Dads Sheet Metal Fabricating Equipment from the Garage, out there as well, to give more room in the Garage for a third vehicle.
I also have a couple of Circular Saw Sharpening Machines, A Bel Saw Saw and Tool Grinder, that does Circular Saw Blades up to 16" and a Automatic Filing Machine does both hand saws, and Circular Saw Blades.
I built another mounting platform for Bel Saw Saw and Tool Grinder to be able to sharpen bigger sized Circular Saw Blades.
I traded a Farm Equipment Dealer a Grain Auger I had, for a Buss Saw, and I needed something to properly sharpen the Circular Saw Blade for the Buss Saw. Who ever had this Buss saw before me, sure made a mess of it trying to sharpen it.
So, I found these sharpening machines through e Bay, 3 hour away from me, and was able to get them for a good buy. Paid $400.00 US combined for machines worth $5000.00 to $6000.00 US combined.
I'm thinking of opening a All types of Saw Sharpening and Service out in the barn, and moving my Chain Saws (keep the gas smell out of the basement, where my saws are kept now) and Saw work bench and chain grinder out there too. Finish the partial partition, and insulate it, and put some kind of heater out there, for the winter.
Thanks again for your help Jerry. I appreciate all the advice you have given me. Bruce.

I wish you good luck with your sharpening business,around this area you would be very busy and in a short period of time you would have to hire help or turn down work as the shops are run off there feet in the spring and summer. Every type of blade needs sharpening and most people don`t know how to do their own. Chainsaw sharpening alone could keep one person busy full time.One guy I know sharpens a dozen lawnmower blades a day,every day five days a week and says he is always swamped,usually 3-4 days behind on drop off`s.
Pioneerguy600

I wish you good luck with your sharpening business,around this area you would be very busy and in a short period of time you would have to hire help or turn down work as the shops are run off there feet in the spring and summer. Every type of blade needs sharpening and most people don`t know how to do their own. Chainsaw sharpening alone could keep one person busy full time.One guy I know sharpens a dozen lawnmower blades a day,every day five days a week and says he is always swamped,usually 3-4 days behind on drop off`s.
Pioneerguy600

Thanks Jerry. I appreciate it. I was also wondering Jerry, have you ever put a HeliCoil in far a spark plug of a chain saw. On one of my saws, the spark plug wasn't tight enough, vibrated in the hole, and wrecked the threads in the power head. I was able to put in another spark plug, and so far it has stayed tight. I know that I will have to do something sooner than later. Thanks again. Bruce.

HeliCoils used in the hole for a spark plug

I was wondering if any body ever used a HeliCoil in the spark plug hole of a chain saw. On one of my saws, the spark plug wasn't tight enough, and vibrated loose. It wrecked the threads of the power head, and I was able to replace it with a new plug, and so far it has stayed tight. Sooner than later, I will have to do something and fix it. So I thought I'd ask for your input, and advice. Other than that, this saw works great. It's been in the family since new, 40 years ago, and has cut a lot of wood, and hope it continues that way. Thanks. Bruce.

I was wondering if any body ever used a HeliCoil in the spark plug hole of a chain saw. On one of my saws, the spark plug wasn't tight enough, and vibrated loose. It wrecked the threads of the power head, and I was able to replace it with a new plug, and so far it has stayed tight. Sooner than later, I will have to do something and fix it. So I thought I'd ask for your input, and advice. Other than that, this saw works great. It's been in the family since new, 40 years ago, and has cut a lot of wood, and hope it continues that way. Thanks. Bruce.

I hear through this forum that helicoils do work but what I use and others on here recommend as well are time serts or other insert types especially designed for sparkplugs. The setup can be bought through auto outlets like UAP .the KD brand work well and essentially all that is needed is the installation kit they sell along with the inserts.It involves reaming the hole oversize and cutting a thread for the insert with the tool supplied with the kit. I mix a little Devcon up and smear it on the threads in the head and insert then screw them in.JB weld or similar epoxy would work also to help seal the insert in place and prevent leakage around the insert threads.I have done four installations on chainsaws and they are working fine so far. The inserts are a little too long as they are made for automobile cylinder heads and sparkplugs are usually longer reach so I grind a little off the length to size them for the shorter sparkplugs used in chainsaws.
Pioneerguy600

I hear through this forum that helicoils do work but what I use and others on here recommend as well are time serts or other insert types especially designed for spark plugs. The setup can be bought through auto outlets like UAP .the KD brand work well and essentially all that is needed is the installation kit they sell along with the inserts.It involves reaming the hole oversize and cutting a thread for the insert with the tool supplied with the kit. I mix a little Devcon up and smear it on the threads in the head and insert then screw them in.JB weld or similar epoxy would work also to help seal the insert in place and prevent leakage around the insert threads.I have done four installations on chainsaws and they are working fine so far. The inserts are a little too long as they are made for automobile cylinder heads and spark plugs are usually longer reach so I grind a little off the length to size them for the shorter spark plugs used in chainsaws.
Pioneerguy600
Perfect. Thanks again Jerry for the help. I greatly appreciate it. This Chain Saw has Ben in the family since new, and has cut a heck of a lot of wood. My great Uncle bought this Mac 10-10 Automatic new in 1968, and my Dad bought it from him in 1974, I have on it since 1998, when Dad died. Since I'm not ready to quit cutting wood, I feel it's not ready for the scrap pile. A few years ago I had to change it from a clutch side start, to a fly wheel side start, because I didn't get the clutch tightened properly, and it wobbled, chewing out the key way, in the crank shaft. Other than this, It has been a great Saw. Bruce.

Perfect. Thanks again Jerry for the help. I greatly appreciate it. This Chain Saw has Ben in the family since new, and has cut a heck of a lot of wood. My great Uncle bought this Mac 10-10 Automatic new in 1968, and my Dad bought it from him in 1974, I have on it since 1998, when Dad died. Since I'm not ready to quit cutting wood, I feel it's not ready for the scrap pile. A few years ago I had to change it from a clutch side start, to a fly wheel side start, because I didn't get the clutch tightened properly, and it wobbled, chewing out the key way, in the crank shaft. Other than this, It has been a great Saw. Bruce.

I have tried to keep all of my dads and my uncles chainsaws up and running also. I have them all here with me and the only one that I cannot find is dads old Remington Mighty Might 34 cc saw that mom gave him when he retired in 1974 . He cut off a piece of our land the first winter with that saw and it totaled 388 saw logs 20"-24"dia x 12-14' long and 41 cords of pulp. He owned other saws but used the Remington to show what could be done if you knew what you were doing but not in a hurry. All the wood was pulled out with a horse and piled roadside. Dads saws I have with me are, Pioneer 600, Pioneer 1110, Poulan 306 A and Sachs Dolmar 116 . My uncles Mac 15 ,Mac 250 and Mac Titan . Father in laws PM125, Homelite 663 and Homelite XL Automatic. That makes up for ten of my 56 running saw collection.

I have tried to keep all of my dads and my uncles chainsaws up and running also. I have them all here with me and the only one that I cannot find is dads old Remington Mighty Might 34 cc saw that mom gave him when he retired in 1974 . He cut off a piece of our land the first winter with that saw and it totaled 388 saw logs 20"-24"dia x 12-14' long and 41 cords of pulp. He owned other saws but used the Remington to show what could be done if you knew what you were doing but not in a hurry. All the wood was pulled out with a horse and piled roadside. Dads saws I have with me are, Pioneer 600, Pioneer 1110, Poulan 306 A and Sachs Dolmar 116 . My uncles Mac 15 ,Mac 250 and Mac Titan . Father in laws PM125, Homelite 663 and Homelite XL Automatic. That makes up for ten of my 56 running saw collection.

My Goodness Jerry. With all those saws, you Must Have A Really Big Dog House. HA! HA! The Pro Mac 60 was also my Great Uncles. He bought it new in 1973. I was 7 years old, then. I used to have to walk to the corner, 1000 feet in the morning, and too the house after School.
My great Uncle used to cut wood in our bush, for his winters heat. When I got off the School Buss, and heard that chainsaw in the bush, well sir, it didn't take me long to run up the road to the house.
I was always in a hurry to be with him, and if my Mother wasn't at the door to flag me down, when I walked well ran in the door, and change out of my School Clothes, I was gone to the bush School Clothes and all. When I got there, My Great Uncle knew I didn't change, he'd walk me to the house, to get changed, because he knew I didnt want to miss anything.
In 1981, when I started running chain saws. I was 15, and that's when Dad bought the Pro Mac 700, with a 20" bar. Dad wouldn't let me run the 700 for a couple of years, because of the power it had, and was afraid of the saw getting away from me. He wanted me to run the Mac 10-10 Automatic, until He thought I was going to be alright running a chain saw, and graduated me to the 700
In 1984, I was 18, and had a job cutting fire wood for a logging company. They had a crew, that cut the tree tops, and I needed a chain saw. Dad and I went to an auction sale, and I bought a Homelite XL-76, with a 20" bar. for $125.00 It was a very clumsy, and awkward saw to handle, compared to the McCullochs, and Dad loaned me his Pro Mac 700 as a spare.
The first Friday I got home from fire wood camp, I went to Canadian Tire, and was going to order a new Pro Mac 700. The sales person went to the back to get the order forms, and Dad told me about my Great Uncle wanting to sell his Pro Mac 60. It had a 16" sprocketnose bar, and a 20" hard nosed bar.
The saw didn't cut much fire wood, and him being a very fussy Mechanic, looked after everything he owned. He didn't want very much for it. He wanted $250.00 and being I knew what work the saw did, how it looked after and the price of the Pro Mac 700, I paid him $350.00, what I thought and Dad thought the saw was worth. My Great Uncle was happy, and I was Happy
The following Friday was pay day, and I figured the guy owed me a lot more than what he paid me. He told me that I got paid by the cord, and that he figured was the amount of wood I had cut. I told him that there was a lot more than that, and I was cutting fire wood to heat our house, and knew more than he was giving me credit for. He told me if I didn't like it, I knew what to do, so I quit.
For the rest of the Summer I cut fire wood for farmers, and when word got around, that I did that type of work, man I was sure busy for the rest of the Summer. Then it was back to School, for my Senior Year, Grade 12, and I did the odd job on the weekends, until I had to help Dad cut our fire wood for the following winter.
I enjoy taking these saws into the bush, and working with them. I always never feel alone when I go, because I feel the presents of my Dad, and my Great Uncle, and when I do something that I shouldn't have, I seem to hear my Dads voice saying, what are you doing, I thought I taught you better than that, and my Great Uncle saying OH Give Him Such A Drive In The A$$
Things like that, I will never forget.
Now I'm teaching my Step Son how to run chain saws. The same way I was taught, but I started him out with a Mini Mac though.
I bought a Pro Mac 10-10 from e Bay, and I'm going to see what it needs to get it running, and I will give him that Saw if I can get ti running with out too much trouble.
The guy said it had good compression, and no spark. I have lots of spare parts here, so I'm not stuck. If it doesn't run, it will be salvaged for parts, and there will always be another saw for him.
In a few years, I will try and teach my Daughter if she wants to learn, how to run a chain saw like her Dad. She has a favorite sport like her Dad already, and that's Fishing, especially for Bass, Just like Dad.
When I'm gone, I hope my Daughter takes the Saws that has been in the family, all four saws Mini Mac 30, Mac 10-10 Automatic, Pro Mac 60, and the Pro Mac 700, and I want my Step Son to have the rest of the saws.
I'll talk to you later Jerry. Bruce.

Well guy`s I am happy with the outcome ,the MS 260 I got on trade is worth $660. new up here in N.S. ,it is a year old and has very little use,around three tanks of gas and the chain has not even been sharpened. I have been offered $550. for it but turned that down as an old friend of mine needs it more than I do, he has a bad back and had a stroke two years back. He has recovered some since then but cannot work or hold a steady job. I usually cut 4-5 cord of wood for him each year and drop it off at his place cut and split.
He and his family own a piece of land with good firewood on it but his saw is a joke. Most of my saws are too heavy to loan him and this one will be just the ticket for him to get out and cut a little wood on his own. I have dropped off around 6 cord of split hardwood already this year so he is set for this winter but he can get a start on for next years wood and he will feel better for doing some of the work himself. Pioneerguy600

You ain't never gonna get rich, but you are one helluva human being. I know about the rich thing because that's what I always do to myself "how can I help someone else out?" If more people were like that we wouldn't have so dang many problems in the world.

Bruce --

I see you may be going to hook up a dishwasher in your shop....great idea as there's a caveat to the original idea.

Wife and I been married 27 years but it almost ended the first year we were married. I had a set of TRW 11:1 pistons for a small block chevy I needed to clean up --- I had scarfed them for free from a buddy and they were dirty. The local shop wanted $10 to hot tank them and I didn't have it. I needed them to race at a local dirt track the following Saturday night

Wife was at work so I tossed the pistons in the dishwasher, set it to red-hot, put in some detergent..............and forgot I had them in there.

When wife came home all I heard was "WHAAAAATTT?" and realized I'd left the pistons in her dishwasher...............

I learned crow tastes good in all sorts of dishes.........................

.............but mister, those pistons were CLEAN!!!!

You ain't never gonna get rich, but you are one helluva human being. I know about the rich thing because that's what I always do to myself "how can I help someone else out?" If more people were like that we wouldn't have so dang many problems in the world.

Thanks and +1. Pioneerguy600

My Goodness Jerry. With all those saws, you Must Have A Really Big Dog House. HA! HA! The Pro Mac 60 was also my Great Uncles. He bought it new in 1973. I was 7 years old, then. I used to have to walk to the corner, 1000 feet in the morning, and too the house after School.
My great Uncle used to cut wood in our bush, for his winters heat. When I got off the School Buss, and heard that chainsaw in the bush, well sir, it didn't take me long to run up the road to the house.
I was always in a hurry to be with him, and if my Mother wasn't at the door to flag me down, when I walked well ran in the door, and change out of my School Clothes, I was gone to the bush School Clothes and all. When I got there, My Great Uncle knew I didn't change, he'd walk me to the house, to get changed, because he knew I didnt want to miss anything.
In 1981, when I started running chain saws. I was 15, and that's when Dad bought the Pro Mac 700, with a 20" bar. Dad wouldn't let me run the 700 for a couple of years, because of the power it had, and was afraid of the saw getting away from me. He wanted me to run the Mac 10-10 Automatic, until He thought I was going to be alright running a chain saw, and graduated me to the 700
In 1984, I was 18, and had a job cutting fire wood for a logging company. They had a crew, that cut the tree tops, and I needed a chain saw. Dad and I went to an auction sale, and I bought a Homelite XL-76, with a 20" bar. for $125.00 It was a very clumsy, and awkward saw to handle, compared to the McCullochs, and Dad loaned me his Pro Mac 700 as a spare.
The first Friday I got home from fire wood camp, I went to Canadian Tire, and was going to order a new Pro Mac 700. The sales person went to the back to get the order forms, and Dad told me about my Great Uncle wanting to sell his Pro Mac 60. It had a 16" sprocketnose bar, and a 20" hard nosed bar.
The saw didn't cut much fire wood, and him being a very fussy Mechanic, looked after everything he owned. He didn't want very much for it. He wanted $250.00 and being I knew what work the saw did, how it looked after and the price of the Pro Mac 700, I paid him $350.00, what I thought and Dad thought the saw was worth. My Great Uncle was happy, and I was Happy
The following Friday was pay day, and I figured the guy owed me a lot more than what he paid me. He told me that I got paid by the cord, and that he figured was the amount of wood I had cut. I told him that there was a lot more than that, and I was cutting fire wood to heat our house, and knew more than he was giving me credit for. He told me if I didn't like it, I knew what to do, so I quit.
For the rest of the Summer I cut fire wood for farmers, and when word got around, that I did that type of work, man I was sure busy for the rest of the Summer. Then it was back to School, for my Senior Year, Grade 12, and I did the odd job on the weekends, until I had to help Dad cut our fire wood for the following winter.
I enjoy taking these saws into the bush, and working with them. I always never feel alone when I go, because I feel the presents of my Dad, and my Great Uncle, and when I do something that I shouldn't have, I seem to hear my Dads voice saying, what are you doing, I thought I taught you better than that, and my Great Uncle saying OH Give Him Such A Drive In The A$$
Things like that, I will never forget.
Now I'm teaching my Step Son how to run chain saws. The same way I was taught, but I started him out with a Mini Mac though.
I bought a Pro Mac 10-10 from e Bay, and I'm going to see what it needs to get it running, and I will give him that Saw if I can get ti running with out too much trouble.
The guy said it had good compression, and no spark. I have lots of spare parts here, so I'm not stuck. If it doesn't run, it will be salvaged for parts, and there will always be another saw for him.
In a few years, I will try and teach my Daughter if she wants to learn, how to run a chain saw like her Dad. She has a favorite sport like her Dad already, and that's Fishing, especially for Bass, Just like Dad.
When I'm gone, I hope my Daughter takes the Saws that has been in the family, all four saws Mini Mac 30, Mac 10-10 Automatic, Pro Mac 60, and the Pro Mac 700, and I want my Step Son to have the rest of the saws.
I'll talk to you later Jerry. Bruce.

Sounds like we lived a parallel life,I don`t have a son but share and teach anyone interested in chainsaw use and falling techniques ,most of which I learned from dad and my uncles who were heavily involved in logging and pulp before the mechanical harvesters took over. I do a lot of restricted space falling and arborist type work now including top to bottom removals and falling trees between buildings or close to buildings and restrictions like power lines etc. I try to teach,show and share with the guy`s that work with me what i am doing each time we tackle a removal and I know they take some of it in but they are reluctant to try it on their own and say to me that they rather watch me cause you make it look so easy. I only do the ones I am comfortable with and if I have any doubts about falling one we hook the boom truck to it and lift it out or cut it from the top down. Pioneerguy600

I can remember 25 to 30 years ago, my Father saying that every one has to try and out do one another, and always expecting more than they should be getting, and don't want to take the time to help someone in need. I strongly agree with that, by looking at the world today, and the way inflation, and the World economy is going.
It's getting harder, and harder to survive. At on time, a 2 income family could make a go of it, buy sooner than later, this won't be enough. The way fuel prices are going, and the Weather Forecasters, are saying that we are going to have another winter like last winter.
How many Families are not going to make it, that are at a lower incomes, or fixed incomes such as Senior Citizens. Tougher times are lurking on the horizon.
My thought any way, and I totally agree with you 100%.
Bruce.

Picked a big Huskvarna up this afternoon,a 181 as the tag turns out to be. The seller thought it was a 188 but he bought it 20 yrs ago and had only used it a couple of times. Its in great shape, has 162 lbs comp cold and we modded the muffler as soon as we got it home,filled the tank with fresh mix and bar oil. Took it out to the woodpile and tuned it in,it cuts great no doubt about it. The piston still has the factory machine marks on it and there is no carbon in the exhaust port or muffler,very low hour saw. Pioneerguy600

Back