Saw lanyard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumberjach

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was just curious what some of you might use for saw lanyards. I myself use a light piece of poly rope cut just below my boot. I have attatched a small aluminum carabiner at the end with a bowline in case my saw gets stuck in a falling limb. I have heard some arborists use no lanyard and attatch the saw directly to their saddle. In a bind it seems someone would hesitate to dump their saw. This seems dangerous to me. any pros and cons?

The setup I prefer is a piece of cordage permanently tied to my saddle with a brass swivel snap at the end. Nothing on the saw itself. Its about 12-18" long. On bigger saws I pass the lanyard through the handle and snap back to my saddle.

I use a Buckingham tear away chainsaw lanyard. Its gone as it connects to the harness and has a ring so you can hang it on your harness if you have a saw hook. Connects to saw by passing round the handle and threw its self. Downside is that its only good for saws upto 15lbs so a Husky 365 with 1/5 tank of fuel and oil in it is a heavy as it will go without deploying when you drop the saw.

Thinking of geting some XTC fire to use with snap on a bowline and the rope tied to the rear handle of the saw.

Latter hook attached to my saddle with a biner.Only had to dump a saw once, when I lost my balance and fell off a limb, swung 25' had the saw in my right hand as I came back to the trunk I pitched the saw. I needed my hand to impact the tree. Got a sore wrist from that act. Saw was fine.

3/8" Blue Water (or whatever is available) rope, biner on each end, approx. 5-6 feet long. One biner is attached to Stihl, 019, the hinged ring built into the saw...the other biner to saddle until I cut..the saw either hangs below my feet or I biner it up close to the saddle if limbs are numerous.

Whenever I cut I attach the saw to the tree, not me. If the saw gets dumped or snatched out of my hand something has gone wrong. I don't want the added distraction of feeling the saw jerk my saddle as it reaches the end of the lanyard.

One wrong thing at a time is enough for me.

I use a regular dog leash. I wrap the loop through the saw and hook the other end to my saddle. I like one that hangs below my feet so I never get into a position where my leash is to short to reach the branch I'm streching out to cut. I don't like working without my saw being secured.

TreeMike, LOL, I use one too. thought I was the only one here. I picked up a 1 1/4" ring at the hardware store here, and had the missus' mother sew in on the leash for me. total price, $3.
-Ralph

I have webbing tube (the same type rock climbers use) with a bungy running through the centre and a backpack lid type plastic clasp that attaches to the saw. IF the saw is unattached then the lanyard stays just below knee level and pretty much out of the way, with the wieght of the saw it stays below my feet.

Back