Saw Planning Opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ChrisWild

ChrisWild

Looking for some opinions on planning a saw path. I currently have a MS260 (purchase used 8-10 years ago) which I’m in the process of doing a muffler mod ( having a hard time tuning it though) as well as MS310 (stock). I’m looking at taking out a number of trees 1-2 cords annually to support home heating. Diameter ranges from 12-20” with the preference for the standard northeast hardwoods . Personally I think the 310 is a bit of a dog so I am looking to move away from that. My question is given the age of the MS260 would it make more sense to start new with a new 50cc (MS261) and look to add a 70cc down the road or jump into a 60cc like the MS362 and keep the MS260. Is there enough of a power delta between these two to make that a sound plan? For those that have run them does even a muffler modded MS260 fall significantly short of the more powerful MS261?

Brent Nowell

Brent Nowell

Addicted to ArboristSite
Looking for some opinions on planning a saw path. I currently have a MS260 (purchase used 8-10 years ago) which I’m in the process of doing a muffler mod ( having a hard time tuning it though) as well as MS310 (stock). I’m looking at taking out a number of trees 1-2 cords annually to support home heating. Diameter ranges from 12-20” with the preference for the standard northeast hardwoods . Personally I think the 310 is a bit of a dog so I am looking to move away from that. My question is given the age of the MS260 would it make more sense to start new with a new 50cc (MS261) and look to add a 70cc down the road or jump into a 60cc like the MS362 and keep the MS260. Is there enough of a power delta between these two to make that a sound plan? For those that have run them does even a muffler modded MS260 fall significantly short of the more powerful MS261?
I can say that there are other factors to consider and ask yourself.

First I will say that I always wanted a small and light saw, but the more I use it the more I keep going back to the 70cc class.

Second, I also have a large collection of bars that are large mount which do not work with my 50cc. Chains too, many 3/8 and only a couple of .325 that the 50cc uses.

I find it irritating to carry two different files and two sets of bars and chains, but that’s just me. Didn’t bother me before but now after more experience I dislike it much.

If your gonna spend the dough IMO for a firewood saw I really enjoy the 60cc classes and up. 50cc has its place for the people that have a better attitude than mine. Most likely they are pro climbers and fallers that don’t fell anything bigger than an 18” bar can handle. The reduced weight makes an 8 hour day that much more bearable.
For me though, the miller and firewood gatherer I like the 60cc and up. If you noticed a lack of power with your current saw and it irritates you then maybe 50cc ain’t for you.

Whichever you choose I would choose something a little more than you can afford given the amount of use you use it. Consider the bar mount and if it supports the same style you use, I am unsure if stihl uses different sizes. This is if you already have a collection.

If you get an mtronic get it from a reputable dealer, have them update it and set it up for you, pay that extra 5-10$. And do not put your money down until you can start it for yourself and see that it runs properly. Should be no bogging or hard starts :)

Good luck!

Tinman204

Tinman204

ArboristSite Guru
Get a 70cc saw and you'll never be sorry you did.

These days I mostly run a 562xp and a 044 for all my firewood duties.

I sold my 50cc saws once I got 60 and 70cc class saws. Its hard to go back once you get saws with good power to weight ratings.

And I say all that knowing full well that theres nothing wrong with a 260. I've had 2 of them and they are fine saws, one of the best 50cc saws ever made.

Hand Splitter

Hand Splitter

ArboristSite Operative
I’d consider going to a 90cc saw. I have a 260 , 461, and 660, and other saws. If I could only keep 2 saws I’d definitely keep the 260 and 660. But I like to cut really big. I don’t really notice the weight difference between the 461 and 660. Of course if you never have to cut 30+ inch wood a 70 cc saw is just fine.

Latest posts