Saw questions.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris J.

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm working on a Mac 3100 (don't stop reading now!) for my neighbor. He mentioned a good-sized one man saw that he has, and showed me a 4 foot saw. The blade is in pretty good condition, and I could make out the lower portion of a Liberty Bell with the words Special Cast Steel, and Supplee-Biddle Hardware. I couldn't make out the wording on the handle badge.

Now...I have a similar saw, but without any markings on the blade, and the handle badge reads Warranteed Superior with an eagle in the center. Mine has a second handle on the top of the blade near the main handle.

My main question is how should I treat the blade to stop the rust from reappearing? Our humidity, despite it being December, is still very high. Any thoughts or comments on these saws would be appreciated.

Thanks, skwerl. I've wiped it down with bar oil, was wondering if something more specifically formulated for rust prevention would be better (I have a gallon of Kroil en route). Also, does my neighbors' saw have any value? Does mine? I don't have my hopes up.

Aw ra best!

Amsoil metal protectant. MP I believe is what they call it. Comes in WD40 size cans but works great! Just spray a heavy coat and let it dry (No filmy residue or oily feel. looks normal). Done. If the saw is used then re-apply and she will last the winter no problem. How I found this stuff was due to my barrels getting pit rust from all the fog on my hunting trips. After treating it with the Amsoil spray it would last a week by the ocean in heavy fog. No more rust. Wiping with oil would only last a few days it seemed. Good luck.

Surface rust is my main concern, Wescoman, thanks for the tip. I know that these type of saws are a dime a dozen (okay, maybe not that cheap) in parts of the country. I'm wondering if mine might make a good 'beginner' saw if I decided to enter some saw competitions? I know the pro quality racing crosscut saws run some serious $$. Of course in the beginning I'd expect to receive multiple bruises and contusions on my glutious maximus, A/K/A get my azz kicked.

There are two great products for this :

BOE-SHEILD - a repacked (spray can) verison of what Boeing sprays inside their aircraft to stop corrosion.

Top Cote - Used to treat the surfaces of table saws and like to prevent rust. I use this on all my woodworking equipment (about once a year). You can get this from "Western Tools" (mail order) or from many hardware stores. I believe it's made by 3M.

Back