Saw Reassembly Lube?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torquin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a Husky 335XPT I had to pull down completely to fix the oiler. The parts are in and I'm ready to put it back together, but I have not done a 2-stroke before. When I put together a 4-stroke I put engine assembly lube on the bearings to assist until oil pressure comes up. As the lube system is obviously different with the 2-stroke, I wonder if I should put some of this lube, or other type lube into the bearings as I reassemble this engine. I have not pulled the piston off the rod, or the rod off the crank, nor have I done any cleaning to that area with solvents that would remove whatever lube is already there, and the crank to case bearings are sealed.
Advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

I put a little 2-stroke oil on the wrist pin bearing, crank bearings and the bottom end rod bearing. I leave the piston / rings dry. I've been doing 2-stroke dirt bikes like this for years, I know some of you would never put a piston in dry but it's the way it's done these days - with dirt bikes (2-strokes) anyway. I'm fairly new to saws but I've been putting them together dry just like I do bikes with no problems whatsoever. A good way to lightly hone chrome bores is to wrap a wet rag around a ball hone and use Soft Scrub, works great on bike cylinders.

Last edited:
I agree with everything that Matt said except the "dry" part.....I guess I am a little old school as I used to work at a motorcycle shop back in the 70's and I am not familiar with modern methods. I would never saturate the rings and piston like is done when assembling a 4 stroke - for a 2 stroke I would wipe a light film of oil on the cylinder before assembly. (I hate that dry metal rubbing metal sound).

I would use a light coat of oil on the cyl walls as suggested by oneoldbanjo, and after it was together, before trying to start it, put a just a little 2 stroke oil (like maybe 2cc's) in the top end (through the spark plug hole) and slowly crank it over a few times to spread the oil around. It will smoke a little when you first crank it up, but it will be well lubricated.

Oil won't hurt a thing,just smoke a little bit.

On two cycles I just oil them with plain old motor oil. On auto engines I often use STP.If it doesn't smoke for 10 minutes after the initial start up I worry I didn't use enough.

Back