Saw shop requirements

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't agree that only those who are worried about constitutional rights have something to hide. Many people, myself included, feel that no rights should be surrendered whether you have something to hide or not.

About drug testing, I imagine it would fall under amendment 4:
This is no doubt speaking of residences, but I think drug testing could easily be considered a "search." The issue, as I see it, does not apply to employer testing, however. Government testing necessarily must follow different standards. Of course, I'm talking out my ass here. :jester:

I see what you are getting at, but the people who apply to work have volunteered for a drug test. It is their prerogative to not apply and go to work somewhere that does not require drug screening. It is Red's right as a business owner to screen employees as he sees fit. Illegal drug use is not a constitutional right! The only time I have ever been tested was when I applied to work in a nuclear plant or other high security area.

Last edited:
I see what you are getting at, but the people who apply to work have volunteered for a drug test. It is their prerogative to not apply and go to work somewhere that does not require drug screening. It is Red's right as a business owner to screen employees as he sees fit. Illegal drug use is not a constitutional right! The only time I have ever been tested was when I applied to work in a nuclear plant or other high security area.

That's what I was saying rb.

Exactly.

Its not high security work, but it is high risk.

Operating saws and mowers requires a clear head.

Add to the fact that drugs are expensive, and 15/hr wont buy alot of drugs...gotta get that $$ somewhere, be it stealing from the business, or stealing equipment and selling it, or selling parts or something.

Drug use does NOT benefit anyone except those selling them.

Obviously, I would not refuse to hire someone if they failed a test because of prescription meds.

I've never done illegal drugs... so I can walk into any piss test and not worry. I remember when I went to boot camp... we were goin' through our initial medical screenings, and there were guys askin' other guys to piss in the bottles for them.

Some had just got high the day they got on the plane to go to boot camp. :bang:

I have never understood the "attraction" of illegal drugs.

Gary

I've never done illegal drugs... so I can walk into any piss test and not worry. I remember when I went to boot camp... we were goin' through our initial medical screenings, and there were guys askin' other guys to piss in the bottles for them.

Gary

+1:rock:

Gary

I think the two statements in bold are related in some way.

I think the two statements in bold are related in some way.

Yup...

I once broke 4 ribs and was in quite a bit of pain on coming out of the ER. The doc gave me Oxycondone(sp) for the pain. I did not enjoy that feeling the drugs gave me. If that is how people that get high like to feel... then I apparently am not a good candidate to do drugs.

I basically dealt with the pain... and flushed the oxycondone down the toilet.

Gary

Yup...

I once broke 4 ribs and was in quite a bit of pain on coming out of the ER. The doc gave me Oxycondone(sp) for the pain. I did not enjoy that feeling the drugs gave me. If that is how people that get high like to feel... then I apparently am not a good candidate to do drugs.

Gary

I would talk with you offline about this sometime. That is all.

Gary

Exactly the way I feel.

My parents always told me they were bad...Id never known my parents to Lie, so I believed em.

Ive seen the effects of an illegal drug addiction though. An Aunt in Arizona was addicted to just about everything, Meth, PCP, Coke, Crack...Her bottom jaw rotted off and she spent the last 5 years of her life getting nutrients through an IV and stomach tube. Finally she offed herself last year.

My 1st cousins sister killed herself in February of this year after 25 years of addiction to numerous drugs. She had a rap sheet a mile long, but physically she looked relatively healthy, but downing a bottle of pills, a pint of Jack and enough drain cleaner to unclog the last stall at the local Taco Bell....It does things to your body..:(

NOTE- Drug users dont live to a ripe old age with lots of freinds...

Yup...

Gary
I've been given Oxycodone for pain too. Oxycodone makes Hydrocodone (Vicodin/Loritab which I have also been given) seem like candy. Oxycodone is very powerful. It's nothing like weed...............so I've heard! ;)

Yup...

Gary

I had a freind in Highschool that had some Dental work done, they gave him a scrip for Vicodin. He liked the way it made him feel, he found a way to get more, and more...Ive never see nsuch a quick 180 in all my life.

Ive broken my legs a number of times, pain meds make you loopy as all getout.:dizzy:

I had a freind in Highschool that had some Dental work done, they gave him a scrip for Vicodin. He liked the way it made him feel, he found a way to get more, and more...Ive never see nsuch a quick 180 in all my life.

Ive broken my legs a number of times, pain meds make you loopy as all getout.:dizzy:
All things in moderation,if you've ever heard that said before .I had a friend in school that got so used to Vics inhaulers he could scarce breath without it's usage.
I had an ex that took so many pain medications that it took codine to work on her of which she ingested like candy.I doubt I've taken a small bottle of plain old aspirin in my entire life time for that matter.That is just fact,it makes me no better or worse than anybody else.

Now what about this leg breaking thing.Do you have soft bones or are you as clumsy as a labrador pup ?Now if it's soft bones,my condolences.If it's clumsiness perhaps some lesson in poise and grace would be in order.Dance lessons come to mind.Tip toe through the tulips in a tutu would make an interesting photograph.:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
I can pass any drug test too, but that is not the point. It is having to
prove my innocence that kind of rubs me wrong.

Not too many AS members wanted to tell old jail stories eh?

BTW, to be a good small engine tech, it takes the availability of some
expensive tools, which most shops will not be willing to buy.

Red, do you or your shop have any way to cut valves or seats?
If you have ring expanders, compressors, you should at least have a
minimal set of seat cutters.

All things in moderation,if you've ever heard that said before .I had a friend in school that got so used to Vics inhaulers he could scarce breath without it's usage.
I had an ex that took so many pain medications that it took codine to work on her of which she ingested like candy.I doubt I've taken a small bottle of plain old aspirin in my entire life time for that matter.That is just fact,it makes me no better or worse than anybody else.

Now what about this leg breaking thing.Do you have soft bones or are you as clumsy as a labrador pup ?Now if it's soft bones,my condolences.If it's clumsiness perhaps some lesson in poise and grace would be in order.Dance lessons come to mind.Tip toe through the tulips in a tutu would make an interesting photograph.:hmm3grin2orange:

Osteogenesis Imperfecta is the Technical Term for my condition, The common term is "Brittle Bone Disease".

Its effects the males in my moms side of the family from Birth to about Age 14, Then it goes into a remission until approx. age 35.

Ive broken my legs some 5 times, multiple surgeries, 3 Waist down body casts for 3 months at a time, finally the troublesome left leg was repaired by a titanium rod.

I have an extremely high tolerance for pain, I get a few kidney stones a year, I started ignoring them after 3 years. I dislocated my right shoulder when I was 15, tried to hold back a gokart I was working on, throttle stuck wideopen, I grabbed the bumper to try and hold it, it pulled hard enough to rip pretty much everything in my shoulder. I popped it back in, my parents made a sling, and I was back out working that afternoon, 2 tylenol to take the edge off.

not many posters from Californian so I have to add in.
drugs:
Drug testing is required pretty much anyplace you apply - except under the table construction work.
Once you have an employee here in Calli it is a lot tougher to get rid of them if they are doing drugs. YOU as the EMPLOYER pay for their unemployment benefits. So I would see it as Red's choice as owner of business.

My wife as office manager cant fire someone on the spot if they come in high on drugs. She has to document 2 failed drug tests before she can fire them. :dizzy:

Pay:
If you are in the sticks $15 an hour is ok money. Lots of places out where I live - 60 miles East of downtown Sacramento - pay $15 an hour. You have to look around your area and see what is paying. However, see my note below.

Ex-Cons:
I have worked with ex-cons before. Some of them screwed up once and away they went. I would agree with one of the previous statement that some of these guys are the hardest working guys. Do I watch them closer? Youbetcha It is all personal comfort level.

The contrary thought I have for you Red is how long do you expect to keep a worker? If you get a good hardworking kid (under 25) that you train to repair small engines. At what point do you expect to lose them? I would think it is a small jump to go to large equipment repair or to automotive repair. Granted small engine repair does not require computer knowledge for the most part.

:deadhorse:

Actually its a tie between the Honda GC/GCV motors and any Ryobi Reed Valve style Trimmer EVER made.

I like the small briggs, well designed engines that run and run and run...Id rather have a briggs than a Vertical Tecumseh, thats for darn sure.

Id still go with a Briggs VANGUARD Over a Kohler or Kawasaki though..

Had one of those Hondas come in during the spring for the annual check up
Only complaint was that it was not moving as well as it did when it was new.
The cable had sliped down just alittle, just enough to give it a problem, maybe a 1/4 inch. Don't jinks me on these :D

I don't remember who makes the Vangard for Briggs, think it was Honda, but they were/are imports. Had a few rebuilds a few years back on some Kohlers that if I remember right where on Billy Goat leaf loaders. ON the inside of the crank case was Yamaha:D Now if the day comes and Briggs starts biulding motorcycles, I'll give them a second look:ices_rofl:

Back