Saw Temperature Observation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roofgunner

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I don't remember if I posted this, as it's been a couple of months, but pardon me if I did. I had a Husky 55 go lean on me and I rebuilt it and it works better than new, but before I did that I bought a 455. I have a dealer who lacks customer satisfaction skills so I had to do the final saw carb tweaking myself, which was a success as I used to be a Kawasaki mech "back in the day". I cut up this giant black oak tree and figured I'd put the 455 and the 55 to the test with constant full throttle runs through the tree 40-45 inch trunk. The 455 was still under warranty. Both saws cut very well. One thing I did was after a run with the 455 I popped off the cover to just feel how hot it was. Surprisingly, I could almost hold my bare hand on top of the cylinder. It really wasn't that hot. The saw must have a good cooling system as it was about 45 degrees outside.

Wow that's pretty cool! Ha ha. No really after some hot runs like that to be able to hold a hand on the jug is pretty impressive. Did you do the same with the other saw? I had a 455 and 460 rancher at one point in time. With 20inch bars, they were my biggest saws and I used to cut everything with those baby's. Always started up ran great and cut good too. I'm a STIHL Guy now but never will forget those two saws.

Temp

I didn't try it with the 55. However, on both saws I checked the plug color to make sure it was good-a little on the dark brown side on the insulator. Both these saws have 20 inch bars. I have a feeling the 455 is still breaking in. I just bought a 445 from Baily's and they say not to run it full throttle for extended periods until it has 10 hours on it. Once that's done, I'll try the hand temp test on it. and I will try it with the 55 when the time comes.

The kid who's my ground Guy has the 445 with a 18 on it and he's ran it for two years now and so far its been a good saw. I have a nice modded muffler still for the 455/460 all polished and ready to bolt on. In fact I have a whole parts saws in a box. Piston and crank are fine and Carb too. I have no use for it anymore. The muffler. Added lots of extra torque to my 455. I would gladly send you the muffler if you want it. I sold the saw stock. If you want all the parts your welcome to them if you pay for shipping. I will send the muffler free of charge.

When I worked in another repair field, I saw a welder, welding on a
piece of aluminum, flip his mask up, and pick up that piece with his bare hands, right close to the weld......

aluminum......

When I worked in another repair field, I saw a welder, welding on a
piece of aluminum, flip his mask up, and pick up that piece with his bare hands, right close to the weld......

aluminum......

I think your kiddin. He couldnt have picked it up without hurting himself.:msp_confused:

aluminum transfers heat quickly, or so he said.

he may have been a tough mo-fo.....

I didn't touch it, but I am a big putthy.....

Back