Sawing up big white oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldsaw

"Been There, Milled That"
Reaction score
Well, we got a break in the weather and finally got to the big oak. Funny how pictures never do anything justice. The original picture looked a bit more manageable.

P1010010.jpg

That's me.

P1010014.jpg

We started at the top. The tree had fallen along a shallow ditch and over the road. The top of the tree had already been cleaned up.

P1010023.jpg

Warm and humid that day. Went through two gallons of water. I've got to get back into shape.

P1010015.jpg

Getting the log off of the root ball.

P1010020-1.jpg

42" bar, and used all of it.

P1010024.jpg

Split the log to get it down to a manageable size. The small slab was still big enough to take out the winch. Going to have to mill it down on site.

mark

Last edited:

Wow... I can tell from the way these rings are growing that you have some beautiful stuff inside that first log. Very nice... even though I am up to my ears in oak at this point, this is premium stuff, and I wouldn't turn it down for nothing. I'd like to see a flatsawn board from the outer 12 inches of that log in the pic above once it's been dried and run through a planer. I'm telling you that if it dries without defects, it will be premium stuff.

Thanks

That looks like some fantastic wood!
A couple of questions for you:
1.Did you freehand rip that first log?
2.How do you like that blue-handled aluminum peavy? I am in need of one and am not sure if I want to forge out a hook and bracket out of some old leaf spring and try to make one, or if it would be better to skip all the effort. That handle looks like it would be much stroger than a wooden one.

Thanks-I kind of like looking at pictures of other people workin' hard...
Andy

That looks like some fantastic wood!
A couple of questions for you:
1.Did you freehand rip that first log?
2.How do you like that blue-handled aluminum peavy? I am in need of one and am not sure if I want to forge out a hook and bracket out of some old leaf spring and try to make one, or if it would be better to skip all the effort. That handle looks like it would be much stroger than a wooden one.

Thanks-I kind of like looking at pictures of other people workin' hard...
Andy

Yeah, my first attempt at a freehand rip that long. Did okay.

The LogRite, I love it. It bites when my regular one won't. I abuse it when I can, don't worry about the handle. It's a 60".

Mark

Nice work Mark - I'm always amazed how one of these trees can stand so long, live through so many storms, then the wind hits it just right & that's all she wrote -

Trees that big in open turf are okay. This one was on the edge of a steep slope into a shallow ditch...full of water. The situation wasn't the best. However, a log that big makes you think a lot before you do anything in "not flat" terrain.

Mark

Wow... I can tell from the way these rings are growing that you have some beautiful stuff inside that first log. Very nice... even though I am up to my ears in oak at this point, this is premium stuff, and I wouldn't turn it down for nothing. I'd like to see a flatsawn board from the outer 12 inches of that log in the pic above once it's been dried and run through a planer. I'm telling you that if it dries without defects, it will be premium stuff.

Thanks

Amen to that woodshop......that oak looks like it will have some amazing figure......what a beautiful thing! Hopefully I can come across some like that!:chainsaw:

This hot weather makes it rough,but that oak looks well worth the effort.Good luck with it.:clap:

Back