Sawmill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wchipper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking for a mill, and in my shopping I like the Norwood mill the best, also Harbor Fright has one that looks just like the lumberlite24, Does anyone know anyone with this mill that could tell me something about this mill. and yes cost does matter limited funds.

Thanks Cliff]

I have to check that out I didn't know Harbor Freight had a bandmill gotta watch what you get from them though quality used to be a issue. I used to do maintenance for a Company and they would buy us Harbor Freight tools some lasted a bit some not a day!! Just my 2 cents. I would like to see it though! Take care

I have a LL24 and it is a good mill. I have pushed it pretty hard and bent to bunks. Both were replaced. Two year warranty is great. I picked my kit up in Buffalo NY. I am not sure on the shipping cost to you. For a hobbyist it is a perfect mill. What do you want to know?

hp

Go to harber fright and type in Saw Mill and see if the green mill looks like the LL24 you have to space the saw and mill

mill

I have a LL24 and it is a good mill. I have pushed it pretty hard and bent to bunks. Both were replaced. Two year warranty is great. I picked my kit up in Buffalo NY. I am not sure on the shipping cost to you. For a hobbyist it is a perfect mill. What do you want to know?

What size motor

I dont know about the sawmills but harbor freight has a rep for selling junk. For instance cant hooks, they sell a knockoff of logrite's canthook. They " look the same" but from what I have read the harbor freight's cant hook will bend easily. If I had to choose between the two my choice wouldnt be harbor freight.

It looks like LL24 super light. I have had issues with the LL24 bending. The HF machine looks like it would be good for 8' soft wood logs only. I have the 8hp and it works, well slow, but works. I bought mine when the coin was low (the wife just started nursing school). It paid for its' self the first summer. Good luck.

saw

It looks like LL24 super light. I have had issues with the LL24 bending. The HF machine looks like it would be good for 8' soft wood logs only. I have the 8hp and it works, well slow, but works. I bought mine when the coin was low (the wife just started nursing school). It paid for its' self the first summer. Good luck.

Hey Are you looking to upgrade?

I have never ran a bandsaw mill so take this for what its worth. Looking at the Harbor Freight sawmills I would have to say that for that kind of money I personally would save a little more and look for a decent used LL24 I would imagine it would even come with a larger namebrand engine and much better customer support/part supplies. I bet the Harbor Freight would cut lumber but all and all quality I'm betting isn't there thats not to say if you like to tinker you couldn't slowly repair or replace things till its exactly what you need it for. Seen lots of guys on here do things that couldn't or some say shouldn't be able to be done sometimes that the best part proving "them" wrong!!:cheers: I wish you the best either way I hope you get to cut some lumber soon!!! Take care irishcountry

Thanks

I have never ran a bandsaw mill so take this for what its worth. Looking at the Harbor Freight sawmills I would have to say that for that kind of money I personally would save a little more and look for a decent used LL24 I would imagine it would even come with a larger namebrand engine and much better customer support/part supplies. I bet the Harbor Freight would cut lumber but all and all quality I'm betting isn't there thats not to say if you like to tinker you couldn't slowly repair or replace things till its exactly what you need it for. Seen lots of guys on here do things that couldn't or some say shouldn't be able to be done sometimes that the best part proving "them" wrong!!:cheers: I wish you the best either way I hope you get to cut some lumber soon!!! Take care irishcountry

Thanks that is probably very good advice, I would lov to find a used LL24 if one was out there reasonably pricesed.

I stay away from the Norwood chat room. It is a little one sided in discussion for me. The LL24 fits a small nitch market. A csm will supply all the wood a hobbyist wood crafter will ever want with out much capital investment. People trying to make money off milling, doing any volume of milling, or have heavy equipment start off in the Lumbermate class of mills (much better that the LL24). The LL24 will do most anything the Lumbermate will do. It will not take a 24” hickory log dropped on it. Roll a heavy log with a pig tail on the bunk and it will bend. You just mill slower and gentler on the LL24. After the sins of a colorful youth my body did not like the CSM and the others mills seemed too much at the time. Don’t forget you can add steel to the track and bunks on the LL24 over time and make it stronger, not faster. If you are going to add the 13 Honda just get the Lumbermate. It is not much more money and a much better machine. There really is no cheap band mill. Wait to you order a couple of boxes of blades, the bill for sharpening the blades, or start pricing equipment to sharpen your own blades. There is a real cost to any free board. Norwood used to have a list of owners you could call in your area and see the mills. I am not sure if this is true now. It can’t hurt to call and ask. Good luck.

I stay away from the Norwood chat room. It is a little one sided in discussion for me. The LL24 fits a small nitch market. A csm will supply all the wood a hobbyist wood crafter will ever want with out much capital investment. People trying to make money off milling, doing any volume of milling, or have heavy equipment start off in the Lumbermate class of mills (much better that the LL24). The LL24 will do most anything the Lumbermate will do. It will not take a 24” hickory log dropped on it. Roll a heavy log with a pig tail on the bunk and it will bend. You just mill slower and gentler on the LL24. After the sins of a colorful youth my body did not like the CSM and the others mills seemed too much at the time. Don’t forget you can add steel to the track and bunks on the LL24 over time and make it stronger, not faster. If you are going to add the 13 Honda just get the Lumbermate. It is not much more money and a much better machine. There really is no cheap band mill. Wait to you order a couple of boxes of blades, the bill for sharpening the blades, or start pricing equipment to sharpen your own blades. There is a real cost to any free board. Norwood used to have a list of owners you could call in your area and see the mills. I am not sure if this is true now. It can’t hurt to call and ask. Good luck.

Yes I found that to be true in the norwood site.
is CSM custom sawmill. I found a gentleman her local that has a LM2000, and he had me over we ran the mill on poplar, and re sawing worked great, and according to norwood the mill has the same RPM on both mills the way it is geared, and you are probably right with my knowledge I can beef up the mill accordingly and thanks for all your help it has been very helpful, I was just about to order the Harbor fright mill.

thanks Cliff

Last edited:
Back