saws at high elevation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never run a saw at lower elevation, It would probably scare me!

Funny you should mention that. A couple weekends ago, I ripped and quartered some green eucalyptus at my father-in-law's house. He lives at around 500 feet in Orange Park Acres, CA, east of Orange, CA. About an hour earlier, I had opened up the exterior port on the muffler from the stock 3/8" to about 1/2" to 9/16" and fattened up the carb a bit. That 044 just gobbled up the wood and ran like a banshee. I didn't have a tach and I had the H needle out to about 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 turns. It just had tons of power and I can only imagine what it would have been doing had I set it to 13,000 RPM with a tach. Hang on!

Obviously I was quite surprised when I tached at 12,500 at 8000 feet and the needle was only 5/8 of a turn out. It just seemed like the needle was too far in, and that despite the lower RPM, I was starving the saw. If I would have been doing more than 5 to 10 cuts in 8" wood, I would have experimented with richer H needle settings, and then would have had the first hand experience with the fact that the saw was actually running like it should, maybe even a little rich already at 12,500 RPM.

BTW royta - Awesome looking crew! Let me know if you make it up to Big Bear for woodcutting and/or fishing!

Larry, I have advertisements in craigslist and in the recycler trying to sell pine & cedar. I need to redo them as I've only had a couple nibbles. The only problem is that I can't store any wood. I have to pre-sell and then go out and cut. I need to sell the flat landers in their gazillion dollar cars on the fact (err, my opinion) that despite the fact the wood is softer, it is better than the standard run of the mill avacodo, citrus, eucalyptus wood they are used to burning. This is SoCal, image is everything. You need a stack of cedar outside your window. It looks nice and smells nice too. Think it will work? :) They only have fireplaces anyway, they shouldn't be concerned with wood efficiency anyway. Whatever looks the best to their guests is what counts.

Check out the decks of pine & cedar I saw while driving to our spot.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back