Saws or Guns?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keep Saws or Sell/Trade for Guns

• Keep Saws

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Get Guns

Votes: 18 78.3%

• Total voters
Guns. Chainsaws are just a tool. I've been screwing with them for a long time but never saw them as anything more or worth collecting.

For the most part guns will only appreciate. Especially Milsurps, which are drying up more and more by the day. Even Mosins are bringing good money now, much more than they're worth IMO.

Personally I started acquiring guns 20 years ago just cause I liked shooting. My father died when I was very young and my mother sold all his guns and I didn’t inherit any of the cool old stuff he had. My uncles never offered any of them up to me when I got of age. I just figured I’d buy my own. I’m not a die hard hunter, but enjoy bird hunting when I can get time off of work. My friends are huge hunters but don’t have a lot of coin to spend on guns. I just kept buying guns over the years and putting them up and shooting them when I have time. My wife thinks I’m ridiculous and wants to know when enough is enough. I am not a hoarder of ammo too bad. I keep a few hundred rounds of each caliber on hand. I have found lately it takes a bit of patience to find ammo when you get a bit low. I get that the “rifle in every caliber” as my wife says is not for everyone and I have slowed my purchases down in the last three years. I always have felt that if I needed some cash I could always sell a gun and make out pretty good compared to the initial investment. Disclaimer at this writing...(I feel really horrible that my son will not inherit his fathers gun like I didn’t inherit my fathers guns. Mine have all been lost in a very tragic boating accident as I was transporting them from my side of the lake to the other side of the lake along with all the ammo I had.) :))
Now chainsaws, I really came into in the last ten years. I bought property that has woods and I have a lot of trees that needed to come down due to damage. I love running chainsaws! I started with just a few homeowner ones and then I joined this site. I only have added two saws since joining and I really enjoy them. They are probably bigger saw than I need but the price was good and I kinda got the bug! I know they will never be an investment in the sense that I can get a higher return on what I paid for them. If I had more time and had a better garage/shop to work in I might be able to get some non running saws and make a little coin but I doubt it where I’m at.
My wife still says the chainsaws have been cheaper than the gun buying I usually have my sights on. Ruger single seven .327 stainless with the birds head grip at $649 is the current one I’m obsessed with having! You know to replace all I have lost recently, and be able to have a small defensive weapon for the home.

Good point. Though I suspect the sound of a revving chainsaw would make most perps run away.

I like that.
Perp forces the door. And is startled not by the sound of a vicious barking dog, or the alarm system sounding, or a gun getting locked and loaded, but if a chain saw reving up like its a haunted house thrill ride.

He will either run for the hills thinking if this guy sleeps with a saw, what other freaky stuff does he have going on.

Or he will calmly walk in and explain how your blade is upside down or it sounds lean on the high side, or say that husky is better then Stihl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like that.
Perp forces the door. And is startled not by the sound of a vicious barking dog, or the alarm system sounding, or a gun getting locked and loaded, but if a chain saw reving up like its a haunted house thrill ride.

He will either run for the hills thinking if this guy sleeps with a saw, what other freaky stuff does he have going on.

Or he will calmly walk in and explain how your blade is upside down or it sounds lean on the high side, or say that husky is better then Stihl.

"sleeps with a chainsaw", lol.
on a side note, I am in the "sleept with a saw" category on occasion. I went to help with a hurricane cleanup a few years ago, and I literally had my 044 under the blankets by my feet every night due to the local population of chainsaws odd tendencies to spontaneously grow legs and walk away.
On another note, I can't say I have had any easy quick gun sales where I got what I want for them.
I don't tend to sell many guns though, as my few are all more sentimental than valuable & not worth the effort for the return.

I like that.

Sorry to quibble but also running the bar "upside down" extends its life by a lot.

Guns. Chainsaws are just a tool. I've been screwing with them for a long time but never saw them as anything more or worth collecting.

For the most part guns will only appreciate. Especially Milsurps, which are drying up more and more by the day. Even Mosins are bringing good money now, much more than they're worth IMO.
I have a nice Mosin that cost me $100 about 15 years ago. Why oh why didn't I buy one of those crates of Mosins when you could find them for $65/rifle....

My pennies worth say that both are needed. I do not like guns or saws but I feel I need them. I really like my automobile collection though. I have more than most in the way of saws because I have used saws to make a living and yes it is hard. People need guns for a different reason because it is a life and death issue. I always have enjoyed getting together with friends and my grand daughter to watch them shoot for practice or pleasure, but again they take work to keep them in peak condition. First guns are essential for personal private protection along with plenty of ammo. Then there is the responsibility of ownership that one needs to take into account. It is an obligation for especially Americans that they have an array of weapons that they can put to use if an crisis erupts. Thanks

I agree with what your saying Ted, and I can tell your not a gun guy, which is ok. I really enjoy taking care of my guns, and dont find it to be difficult or hard work. The responsibility to owning a gun, (to me) is no more or less serious then owning and using a saw. If both arw used under the correct circumstances, neither will cause the user harm.

Latest posts

Back