Sawzall

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeguy347

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Has anybody else used a cordless sawzall rather than a handsaw to climb with? I have an 18 volt DeWalt cordless that I bring up into the tree whenever there are multiple small limbs (under 2") to cut. Its pretty light, and the instant start/stop of the blade is very nice - just pull the trigger. I find that the 6/8 TPI demolition blades give the fastest cuts.

can't say that i have tried that one but i would be worried about the possiblities of something getting caught or hung on the trigger and cutting myself or equipment, like sadle, rope.....:(

I had a construction guy try to tell me how wonderful a cordless sawzall would be in the tree. I can't see the point for my personal use. A sharp handsaw is light and cuts fast and clean. For bigger cuts I want a sharp chainsaw. If the sawzall works well for you that's great.:cool:

I do love my Zubat, but the DeWalt is nice too. It weighs about 6 pounds and rides real nice hanging off my saddle. I can get a full day out of a charge with no problem also. I won't touch it while limbwalking though... too much vibration.

6 pounds, an 020 only weighs 7 1/2 and you have alot more power and don't have to worry about the battery going dead!! you can cut larger stuff with it and its safer to use in the tree!! tell us again what are you gaining by using a sawzall:confused:

Like I said, I only use it on places when there is a lot of small stuff (under 2"). I have a cs300 when there is bigger stuff. Decided to give echo's little saw a try before putting out $400 for a 335. I like the 300 a lot, but wish I would have gotten a 340.

Hey they make em with a two cycle engine also, gas powered sawzalls, lasts longer than the batteries and makes more noise too. Just remember to use the green blades.

The idea is sound. The sawzall is just not the right tool. I believe the pony saw will be replaced one day just like the hand saws like my dad used were replaced with chain saws. I use my hand saw for many more tasks than just pruning. I would be lost without it. I can’t see the sawzall replacing it in its current form.

Yes, not a DeWalt but a Milwaukee. There are actually blades for pruning that I use. Does fit the bill between handsaw and chain but the batteries have me fustrated. I have not gotten as long as run time as you. I was also curious why more people weren't using them.

Originally posted by Milo
.... I was also curious why more people weren't using them.

Because they don't belong in a tree, in my humble opinion. As pointed out earlier, a climbing saw like an Echo 3400, Stihl 020T or Husky 335XPT only weighs a pound more than your battery jobbie and will perform 20X as fast. A good hand saw (like a Silky) will probably outcut your battery jobbie in most situations and weighs mere ounces.

Maybe next you can try one of those DeWalt 18v cordless skil saws in a tree? :rolleyes:

I've used a recipricating saw mostly for root prunning, blades are cheap.

Have taken it up for very tight parralel branch groups I call a "Trifrication" when you need to remove the middle one and a hand saw will ding up the other two. no getting a chainsaw in.

Stub off the branch with the hand saw then take the recip. saw and cur the stub down on an angle so you have a dogear, then you can get the blade in to finnish the stub off clean.

Very narrow usage, but they can have a place in the tree.

RECIP. SAW IN TREE

Interesting concept - your reciprocating saw in the tree.

I bought one for home last month, and thought about how it might work for certain pruning cuts.

Obviously there are spots too tight for a chainsaw, and I can't see myself grinding an ARS hand saw to a saber like narrowness.

Have you found a decent way to hang or carry it?

There are holsters for drills - would it fit in one of those, or do you do something better.

I'd like to incorporate more power tools if I can. I'm tired of getting tendonitis from excessive use of hand pruners and hand hedge shears.

Mario Vaden
Landscape Designer / Arborist
M.D. Vaden Trees & Landscapes
Beaverton, Oregon

M.D, i would use a loop runner but then i still don't like the idea of one in the tree:( i can see where you could get something stuck in the trigger and cut yourself or worse your climbing line:eek:

Thanks for stealing my next post JPS :D Unfortunately, haven't been on the forum for a bit. I was going to mention the spots where a chainsaw just wont fit, but the 1/2" wide sawzall blade sneaks in real nice. For everyone interested in battery life, I get full days on a charge without a problem. It lasts longer in the trees than it does doing construction gue the the intermittent use. I doubt I would have bought it specifically for tree use, but it is very nice to have for the right spots.

I am not the only one?

Yes I have used a cordless sawzall like this. You dont have to start the saw, so in tight spots it works great. I used it a couple times where there was a bunch of smaller limbs that were dead and spread out all over, so instead of starting the saw, cutting 1-2 limbs, stopping, moving, and restarting, you just pull the trigger and cut. A hand saw would have worked I am sure, but why not give it try for me. whatever works, works. JB

Sawzall?
Can anyone please post a picture or a link to an image of what you're talking about?
Thanks,

Sergio

Here is a picture I stole from the Home Depot site. It shows a corded reciprocating saw, but there are cordless versions available. Sawzall is actually a brand name manufactured by Milwaulkee tools. But it has become a synonomous term for all recriprocating saws.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back