scaffold vs taughtline hitch... not the same?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amhst56

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i am looking for the best knot to tie to a carrabiner and to my harness. a few threads said scaffold knot that is also a fishermans knot.

when i looked up on how to tie the knots, it seems like the scaffold knot wraps towards the bite and the fishermans wraps away from the bite.

am i missing something?

right know i use a taughine hitch for my split tail and a figure 8 follow through for my main line on ddrt because its a stiff static rope.

is a scaffold and fisherman different and whats the best knot to secure to a carabiner?

thanks

The diagrams I looked at showed the scaffold to be the same as the double/triple fisherman's (at least what we call the triple fisherman's). I think knot names are like common names of trees, tends to be a regional thing. Unfortunately there aren't latin names for knots so we can be sure what each knot is.

I personally use an anchor bend to attach to my biner. The key is to use a cinching knot ie not a bowline.

thx bc

i use a buntline not taughtline, sorry.

i looked at another site and they both are wrapped towards the bite.

just curious why u like the anchor knot the best and have u used the buntline and/or fishermans?

Put a load on a triple fisherman's and then try to untie it..

i was practicing with a triple fisherman and it did seem to tighten up alot.

im guessing u use an anchor hitch jolley?

would there be any negatives to use a triple fishermans on my split tail and just leave it tied all the time?

I use a buntline. No real negatives, but I never tie a knot I can't untie. Of course I've been married three times, so take it with a grain of salt.

lol!

i like the buntline also. easy to tie and tightens nice.
the anchor knot doesnt seem to tighten down enough for me to trust my life on it, but ill have to try it somemore.

these 3 knots seem to be the most popular to tie to a carabiner. but i can find a thread on any of these knots saying one is better than the other.

i guess it comes down to personal experience?

how much of a tail do u leave for these knots and is it the same for all knots?

thanks for the help

lol!

i like the buntline also. easy to tie and tightens nice.
the anchor knot doesnt seem to tighten down enough for me to trust my life on it, but ill have to try it somemore.

these 3 knots seem to be the most popular to tie to a carabiner. but i can find a thread on any of these knots saying one is better than the other.

i guess it comes down to personal experience?

how much of a tail do u leave for these knots and is it the same for all knots?

thanks for the help
Anchor bends are where its at. They're like ANY knot, and should be inspected regularly.
My bridge is tied into ring opens with anchor hitches. Never doubted them once. Maybe.. 6" of tail.

For that matter.. The mcrs is built on anchor bends. They're most definitely a trustworthy knot.

Back