Scared of heights?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found that just focusing on where im at in the tree I start feeling more at eas.

'' Look at the small picture , not the big picture.'' One move at a time leads to the next move.

Looking at the big picture can sometimes overwhelm us. But when we break a job down into little pieces it suddenly seams possible......wether its trimming trees or building a house. :)

snoop_dog_bb.jpg

Word!

How about scared of a sudden decrease in height?

I took a big unplanned swing today. The job was a no clean-up limb removal on a big silver maple. The tree had been hard topped ten or fifteen years ago except for the spar that went out over the house(maybe it was too hairy). My job was to remove said spar. I got myself as high of a tie in as I could trust the nasty old tree, descended on my branch and got to work. At about 45 degrees from my tie in I had a branch that was touching the house drop where it connected to the house. I had no way to swing it off without smacking the line so I decided to set my spurs on the branch and lean out far enough to cut, grab, lift and throw. I have a groundie who is a big guy like me and wants to climb. I wanted to show him how to lessen my weight on the limb by leaning out on my climb line. "Hey Scott watch this! See how the limb I'm standing on lifts up when I do this...POP-POP uuuuugh!" I took two branches with me the one I was standing on and the one my core line was on, both about three inches in diameter. Both missed the house and thanks to my prep work I wasn't impaled on any stubs behind me. The whole thing was surreal. I didn't fear for myself, just the house. I had to climb back up and finish the spar, another fifteen feet beyond where the breakage occurred. I had no rigging options because of the house and the power lines. Using a lowering line I tied it off and put half hitches on the spar on the way out in case of another catastrophic failure. I climbed a lot slower and more tenatively and finished the job. I wished I smoke or drank when I got to the ground. My heart was still racing and my hands were shaking. The whole incident reminds me of the joke, "What are a rednecks last words? "Hey, watch this!"" :)

isnt it funy what goes through your mind when the sh!t is hitting the fan. i know a guy who fell 40-some feet outa fir tree. landed in kneeling position. broke his back. he was using a fairly big saw when it happened an 029 i think. he held onto it all the way down. i asked him why he didnt let go of the saw. he said "i guess i just wanted something to hold onto" i couldn't help laughing... btw he was back climbing 18mos later...one tough customer.

Stumper said:
I'm afraid of heights. Seems normal for anyone who has the intelligence to understand that falling can cripple or kill you. Remind yourself that your rope and saddle are taking care of you, breath deep and go on. One nit to pick-Corn has a stalk. Trees have trunks, branches, leaders , or (a word that is correct but I dislike because it sounds small to my ear) stems. :angel:

This is the best quote I have heard in a LONG time. You hit that right on the head!

Stumper RULES!!

I, too, remind myself when i get 'uneasy' up in the tree.

There are a few instances where I get the "un-easy feeling." Mostly when I am way out on a limb over a high voltage open aluminum. I go with the notion that the sooner I get this limb off, the sooner I get back to the comfort of the big wood. Dead or rotted trees give me that feeling too!

I must bee knutz. The crazier and wacker it is, the more I seem to enjoy it.

http://*************************/cranepics/6.JPG

blaster you are nuts. no doubt about it. only a maniac would do that. looks fun! wish it was my job;) you arent scared of heights-you're sacred of heights :cool:

jeeze mb you are as nuts as my husband!! he does all that. NOT a good thing, i dont need anymore gray hairs. i just cant believe you guys taking chances like that! if something should happen because of those things you guys do, what are we supposed to do when you are gone???

MasterBlaster said:

MB,

any chances you'll be heading through NJ this summer?? I have a killer high tulip poplar in my backyard that i need to piece down; need to hire a climber for a day!
I dont know any local climbers who have the ballza to head to the top of this one!

Have fun
Ron

those tulip poplars grow pretty big out this way...how big is the one you are talking about eyeinstine? Rough height and dia.? Any way to throw a rope in it and take it down in one shot? If so, call me so I can get it on video.

njforestfire said:
those tulip poplars grow pretty big out this way...how big is the one you are talking about eyeinstine? Rough height and dia.? Any way to throw a rope in it and take it down in one shot? If so, call me so I can get it on video.

Hi John,

i didnt get a chance to go out and really look and measure the tree today, but i would say with an educated guess that the tree is 70' high and about 40"-48" at the stump..
There is PLENTY of tie in points for climbing.. Shouldnt be hard at all to climb(if your not scared of hights like me!), and piece down; just someone needs the ballza to go that high! Theres nothing below to worry about dropping limbs on.. If my pole barn wasnt in the way, i could drop it in one piece.. but i put the barn in 3 years ago without thinking about taking the tree down then... I really didnt realize how big the rot area was in the backside of the tree.. Still plenty safe for climbing, and the tree would probably be fine for MANY more years; but i want to finally finish the backyard and get the top soil in and spread, and some seed planted.. that is going to be the kids play area now. So i dont want to make a mess of the new turf area by taking the tree down later; and i dont want to take a chance of a dead branch, or god forbid, the tree fall when the kids are playing.. But like i said, it is plenty strong and safe right now..

You climb?!!? :)

Ron

eyeinstine said:
MasterBlaster said:

MB,

any chances you'll be heading through NJ this summer?? I have a killer high tulip poplar in my backyard that i need to piece down; need to hire a climber for a day!
I dont know any local climbers who have the ballza to head to the top of this one!

Have fun
Ron

Ha, that would be cool. :cool:

it seems like the longer your in the tree that day it seems easier, i guess you get use to it. but the next day in the beginning it like it starts over again...

ozy365 said:
Pay attention to physiological responses such as:
1. Low blood sugar 2. Adrenaline fall off after dropping the top 3. Illness as previously noted 4. Blood pressure changes (cinching belt too tight keeps BP higher in the torso and head) 5. Visual dissonance in relation to vestibular input (focusing on close object to the exclusion of distant objects while moving, IE puking after reading in a moving vehicle, watching you saw as the tree rebounds from top drop) 6. Previously mentioned evolution wanting something under your feet, not just a saddle under your butt.

I would guess one or more of the above. I would firmly rule out the wuss factor.
For sure. A good night's sleep and proper diet could contribute also.

Latest posts

Back