School Auction Climb in Seattle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottbaker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all you rec climbers...

I thought you would enjoy hearing about a recent climb. My son Carson (16) and I donated it to his schools "Experience Catalog" a fund raising alternative to an auction where folks donate experiences and others purchase them...a great idea.

A father and a classmate of Carson's bought it. The son is an experienced rock climber. My son leads 5.11+ sport routes on rock and has been dragged up some big trees by me in the past.

We had a training evening in my yard and as you might expect John (the son) flew up the rope using his rock harness and texas style ascending rig. His Dad was struggling but did OK.

I had planed to take them up a big fir in the woods but decided to use an unusual form cedrus deodara in their front yard instead! (good move on my part!)

I set a couple of ropes and the boys ascended. I followed and we hauled up my one of a kind ledge (homemade by Knut Foppe in 1997) and set it up. I rigged the boys with double ropes.

Chris (Dad) was quite happy to ascend to the main crotcth in the tree and Naomi (Mom) came up to that point also.

We ate lunch in the tree...everyone had a great time.

I learned that next time I do this I will offer the option of "climb the biggest tree in your yard" right up front. Much easier than a climb in the woods especially with a variety of skill levels.

Here are a couple of pictures. If you like this post...let me know i have another picture from a recent climb that might get a response...but you have to say please!

Scott

Looks like you had a great climb. When you're setting up a rec climb for others, it's better to be in an easy to get to location with a tree that you've already assessed and set up for climbing. That is often a yard or park tree.

That cedar has an amazing form, almost a circle of leaders dividing from the main trunk?

The home-made portaledge looks excellent, thanks for posting the photos.
-moss

Way cool, Scott! It's great how a topped tree can regrow and soemtimes become very interesting, even aesthetically pleasing...

Let's see Carson with his ears lowered, eh? Heh..

Thanks for posting those.....

.. uh, and I'm sure a lot of folks here would like to see that other photo...and more...from your recent Oregon trip, right? purty please?

Here's me in top of a very flat deodar that Eli and I climbed for a bird's eye view of Seafair, last year.

Last edited:
Someday you guys (rbtree and Scott Baker) will have to explain the story behind both of you being photographed inside the same tree.

So... when are we going to see the mystery photo?

Scott,

The pictures are excellent...great composition and quality. Thanks for sharing them and the story...and sharing your skill in that way with other folks is very cool. You gave them an experience they may have never considered possible before.

Back