School me on firewood (dirty muddy conditions) chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepyfz450

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Long story short......

A few weeks ago one of my really good friends was skidding wood by himself when the piece he was pulling out god snagged on a stump. he went to cut the branch that was holding him up and it sprung and broke his leg....... yeah ouch but thats a whole new topic. my friend is a great guy who would do anything for anybody so me and a few of his friends decided we would cut the rest of the firewood he would need for the season while he recovered.

Last weekend we geared up and headed onto the hill. 12 guys 2 tractors (with farmi winches) 3 dumptrucks and easily 20+ saws. we cut and split 9 full cord in about 5 hours.

So here it my question. what is the best setup (chainwise) for cutting muddy dirty logs. I normally run Stihl full chisel and it cuts great but man does it dull fast in dirty conditions. I couldnt keep a chain on any of my saws sharp for half a tank of fuel..... it sucked. Most of the cutting i am used to is wood that hasnt been skidded so it reletively clean. I know there a lot of options out there Chipper, semichisel but what works the best and doesnt cut slow as hell?

thanks Josh

thanks for the input

Semi chisel stays sharp a LOT longer and you won't really notice a big difference in speed.

I cut a lot of dirty stuff too, and I don't own much full chisel anymore.

The question that's going begging here is what is he thinking, cutting this year's wood now? Does he have a kiln that he dries firewood in?

He could greatly reduce his consumption, and effort in getting the wet wood to burn, were he to prep the wood a year or more ahead. Much less work in getting the wood out, too.

Greater efficiency everywhere in the process. Reduced opportunity for injury besides.

The question that's going begging here is what is he thinking, cutting this year's wood now? Does he have a kiln that he dries firewood in?

He could greatly reduce his consumption, and effort in getting the wet wood to burn, were he to prep the wood a year or more ahead. Much less work in getting the wood out, too.

Greater efficiency everywhere in the process. Reduced opportunity for injury besides.

My buddy has a outdoor wood furnace. burns the best and most efficiant with greener wood. seasoned wood goes up faster. no struggle getting it to burn just throw it in and shut the door the burner regulates the rest. I dont have one but know 6+ people with them and they all say the same thing they prefer greener wood.

Semi chisel stays sharp a LOT longer and you won't really notice a big difference in speed.

I cut a lot of dirty stuff too, and I don't own much full chisel anymore.

I cut a lot of wood that has been skidded and semi chisel works the best. It may cut a little slower at first but doesn't get dull as fast. I can get a lot more wood cut without having to sharpen the chain, sometimes 2 or 3 tanks of gas. I save my full chisel chains for when I am felling and bucking clean wood.

I cut a lot of wood that has been skidded and semi chisel works the best. It may cut a little slower at first but doesn't get dull as fast. I can get a lot more wood cut without having to sharpen the chain, sometimes 2 or 3 tanks of gas. I save my full chisel chains for when I am felling and bucking clean wood.

what make chain do you like best?

if your stihl dealer carries RMC, get that. you can also get the skip RMF if your lazy like me when using long bars.

I like the Stihl RMC. It does cut a bit slower, but it is worth it in timed saved not sharpening. 441 with RMC = never have to sharpen, never have to fuel! LOL

what make chain do you like best?

I like the Stihl chain the best. The Oregon chain that I have on my Dolmar is good too. It seems to be easier to sharpen but dulls up a little quicker than the Stihl chain. My little J'red saw has a Windsor chain and I haven't had that one long enough to see how it compares to the others.

Stihl RM or Bailys/Carlton SC. I can't tell any difference between the two in speed or holding up, but the RMC cuts a bit smoother. The Bailys SC is a LOT cheaper though.

Have run the Oregon DP. It beats Oregon LGX or LPX Chisel, but still goes to shooting powder quicker than RMC or the Bailys/Carlton.
Files nice tough.:msp_rolleyes:

Tried the Oregon Multicut, and it's just about as fast as chisel, and holds up almost as good as SC, but for the price you can buy 3 Loops of Bailys/Carlton SC. Crazy expensive.

Good on ya and your Buds, helping a pal through a rough patch!:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

+1 vote for Stihl RMC for dirty wood. I also find that it helps to cut so that chain is exiting the cut on the dirtiest side of the wood, rather than dragging the dirt through the cut.

My buddy has a outdoor wood furnace. burns the best and most efficiant with greener wood. seasoned wood goes up faster. no struggle getting it to burn just throw it in and shut the door the burner regulates the rest. I dont have one but know 6+ people with them and they all say the same thing they prefer greener wood.

Running inefficient fires (green/wet wood) is one of the reasons neighbors complain about OWBs.

Harry K

My favorite chain is the woodland pro SC chain. Most of the wood that I cut has been skidded with a skid steer and is fairly dirty so I hear the OP on only getting half a tank out of a sharp full chisel chain.. Price has a lot to do with why I like it the best. It does cut pretty good and stays sharp much longer than chisel. Only available in 3/8 .050 though.

The oregon chain would be my second choice. The 70 series DP chain isn't too bad and the bumper drive links aren't exactly safety chain, but I still don't like it as well as the woodland pro.

Stihl is my least favorite due to price and availability. My local stihl dealers don't cary it and they look at me funny when I ask for it. I figure if I have to wait I might as well get twice as many loops for the same money from a site sponsor.

I have tried some of the carbide crusted "inject-a sharp" chain from bailey's. It does seem to last for a long time but it always feels like it needs a touch up whether new or freshly sharpened. I wanted to like it, but the cutting speed is just a little too slow for me.

I've bucked up logs taken out of a mud slide and my round file skip chain (Stihl brand) did better than I thought. I filed it when the skidding crew (two guys and a tractor backhoe) had problems. I filed it less than I feared would be necessary.

Of course, we have special West Coast mud out here. It probably works better with long bars and skip chain..;)

Hey, give your buddy a lesson in safely cutting springpoles when he is ready. There's a couple of ways to cut them without breaking any bones.

thanks everyone for the responces. i really like stihl chain but like everyone else i hate the price. i think i will try a few different brands and see. i know some pretty handy spring pole tricks myself once he is better i will show him (i know a little late).

Running inefficient fires (green/wet wood) is one of the reasons neighbors complain about OWBs.

Harry K

Yeah i hear you. as far as the green/wet wood fires they are much more efficiant in a OWB. You use much less wood through the season than seasoned. I know they definately do smog pretty good. my friend lives in the sticks so he doesnt have problems with neighbors but i know what your talking about most villages are banning them.

Back