schools on forestry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huskykid141

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew any good colleges that have a good forestry program that i should go to. I know a couple. Any info would help, thanks.

Well some schools offhand here in the midwest that i know of are University of Wisconsin Stevens Point. They offer a 2 and 4 year degree in forest managment and are one of the best in the midwest maybe country (but then again i go here). They also offer all kinds of other outdoor degree's and a fire crew to go on that relates to timber jobs that are in the private sector. Some others are Michigan Tech. , Michigan State, Ohio state, Minnesota state. There are also some tech schools that offer logging courses in Cut-to length such as Vermillion university in Ely Mn that is a really good school but it's only a 2 year school and you would have to transfer to another school to finish up a 4 yr degree. One that may be closer to you would by Paul State College in Ny, but if i remember correctly there only a two year school. There's others just cant remember more right now, long day at class.

I attend Southern Illinois University-Carbondale (SIUC) we have forest resource management, outdoor recreatoin resources management, forest hydrology, and urban forest management specializations within the forestry program, and it is only getting stronger...we are getting better and better teacher and more people are attending, we have the Fire Dawgs(fire figthing crew-does prescribed burns and such, and a Conclave team-we've one the Midwestern Forester's Conclave for the last 16 years)..Penn State has a pretty good program(but i think it is dwindling), that would be closer.

do some research before you decide where to go..and make sure that you are ok with moving away from home before you do it

Out here, the best one is Oregon State. They have a pretty tough forest engineering program. I don't like the new beaver logo nor do I like their colors but they used to have a Koller yarder and have a logging class. I went to their quickie (crammed in 1 semester) forest engineering program. They don't have that one anymore. It is located in Corvallis, OR.

college

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if any one has gone to the unniversity of maine and if anyone knows anything about scholarships i can get. thanks

If you feel like traveling a little I took forestry at Algonquin College in Pembroke, ON. Had the time of my life up there, great classmates, awesome parties, great program... learned a ton, 12 month straight program with field trips in Algonquin Park and the Ottawa Valley, survival courses, the works! And not to mention a great faculty. I realize its a long trip, but a little adventure never hurt anyone, and its affordable too! Look into it anyways, we're not all crazy up here in da north eh?

:hmm3grin2orange:

Well if you really want to get away from home - come out and try British Columbia - west coast north of Seattle. Malaspina College in Nanaimo (on Vancouver Island) is probably the best (and one of the last real forestry programs left around anywhere). Check it out at: http://www.mala.ca/calendar/Technology/forestresources.asp.

Its a 2 year commitment but would pretty much gaurentee you a job in BC - which has the toughest a*ss kicking logging in the world (Since BC is kinda part of the PNW - I'll include the guys from N.Cal up to Alaska in there as well).

Like others have said - have a trade or some schooling as a fall back to logging. As fun as it is - its definitely not as good as it was. Good Luck!

Agree with MaLogger the U Mass is a very good school and program. Also U Maine has a good forestry program. The main campus in Orono, Me or the 2 yr program is also available in UMMachias campus down the road from me. My Mom was and Bro is a Proff there.:greenchainsaw:

One that may be closer to you would by Paul State College in Ny, but if i remember correctly there only a two year school.

Do you mean Paul Smiths College? I believe they are four year. I don't know much about the school, but they're in the Adirondack region, so they might be worth the look.

I attended Colorado State University in the past. They have a pretty good Natural Resources department, of which forestry is a part of.

Man come down south! you need to attend the one and only LSU! home of national champion the fighting tigers. Great atmosphere and hands down the most beautiful women in the world. You ever heard of the saying southern bell, well they are all there. Ha, man were every you go and study forestry, you will be pleased.

Michigan tech, great program. Small classes, lots of field time, and above all a quality education. The work studies done here are used and implemented worldwide.

I'll be attending..
hope to see you there!!

the events that i'll be doing
single buck
double buck
underhand chop
any other axe events
any chainsaw events

MurrayLumberjackcompetition010.jpg

MurrayLumberjackcompetition006.jpg

oneman.jpg

Back