Scored some standing dead oak today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im glad I found this thread, I have a giant oak of my own to split up.

Log.jpg

Log2.jpg

The end is a mess of crotches and whatnot. Ive done some cutting on it but havent got very far. It dulls chains VERY fast, two cuts in the big stuff and its duller than crap. Im running skip chain too, which Im not impressed with. Also, whats the best way to cut a huge round without getting my bar in the dirt? I try to keep it level as I finish the cut but I always seem to get into some dirt.

AOD asked, "... Also, what's the best way to cut a huge round without getting my bar in the dirt? ..."
-----------------
(1) Cut it 90% straight down and then roll it over. Finish after the roll.

(2) Get a small log under it somehow. Cut it all the way until you hit the small log.

Big logs sell big saws. :chainsaw:

Also, whats the best way to cut a huge round without getting my bar in the dirt? I try to keep it level as I finish the cut but I always seem to get into some dirt.

I don't know if this would work on your huge rounds or crotches... but what if you got down about 85-90% the way through and then put a couple of wedges in to get it the rest of the way? I know that it might cause some (for lack of a better word) 'barber chair' effect...

Maybe you can get a wedge in there wide enough and then go after that last thread with a felling axe or something else easier to sharpen than your chain...

But then, if you are going to all the trouble of using wedges and a different implement, it might be just as time consuming as sharpening your chain... :)

Im glad I found this thread, I have a giant oak of my own to split up.

Log.jpg

Log2.jpg

The end is a mess of crotches and whatnot. Ive done some cutting on it but havent got very far. It dulls chains VERY fast, two cuts in the big stuff and its duller than crap. Im running skip chain too, which Im not impressed with. Also, whats the best way to cut a huge round without getting my bar in the dirt? I try to keep it level as I finish the cut but I always seem to get into some dirt.

Hate to be a spoilsport, but you look like an accident waiting to happen.I know some fellers that are carrying some nasty scars on their legs from not wearing chaps.You may also need your ears someday.Skip-tooth is meant for softwoods...that Oak looks pretty hard to me!

Hate to be a spoilsport, but you look like an accident waiting to happen.I know some fellers that are carrying some nasty scars on their legs from not wearing chaps.You may also need your ears someday.Skip-tooth is meant for softwoods...that Oak looks pretty hard to me!

Yah I know, sometimes I even cut in shorts! I had forgot my earmuffs that day too.

hehe looks safe to me

aww heck it aint gonna fly out he put a stick back there behind the load to keep it in the truck :) awsome wood score though I try not to count mine since I live right on the coast area there is plenty of thinned out reprod patches with nice dry wood they just left it to rot down so i cant let a good thing go to waste the best part is I dont have to split it the rounds range from 2 to 8 inches and burn just fine without splitting and actually burn longer so im happy with it also stacks on the porch much straighter. I also scored good myself the other day found 2 12 foot lond by 2 foot thick red cedar but ends they threw in a burn pile after a logging opperation over here on the ridge across the street from me I couldnt believe it they dont take the butt ends anymore cause the mills have downsized there saw or there to large for the chippers so they just cut
them off and leave them Im set for my kindling supply for a year or 2 now. and I dont want no lip about it either they left it in the garbage pile so its fair game.:chainsawguy:

Latest posts

Back