Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gotta get in on the 1000th page. Not a scrounge, but I got some wood delivered on Friday. I guess i scrounged it off Craigslist. Does that count? rps20170114_144024_176.jpg

12 cords of oak. Mostly white with a little red. Trucker was worried about getting stuck, so he put them on the ditch. Hopefully it won't be too much of a PITA getting them out.

I gotta get in on the 1000th page. Not a scrounge, but I got some wood delivered on Friday. I guess i scrounged it off Craigslist. Does that count? View attachment 550816

12 cords of oak. Mostly white with a little red. Trucker was worried about getting stuck, so he put them on the ditch. Hopefully it won't be too much of a PITA getting them out.
Looks like we need to have a GTG at your place and get that all bucked up.

I just got new chains made up for my "new" 6-10. Need to give her a try.

Unfortunately weather and snow prevented me from getting into the hunting cabin to retrieve the S2800 for you.

Looks like we need to have a GTG at your place and get that all bucked up.

I just got new chains made up for my "new" 6-10. Need to give her a try.

Unfortunately weather and snow prevented me from getting into the hunting cabin to retrieve the S2800 for you.

A GTG sounds great!! No worries on the S2800. That shouldn't stop us from meeting up. I've never run a 6-10. I'll be working on that pile for a couple weeks I figure. Would love company. :)

Edited to add: I got plenty of coffee, tea, beer, 40:1 etc.

Thought maybe you guy's that scrounge wood, might share some of your scrounging methods with the seemingly growing crowd of newbie wood burners. From what I have been reading, they would be quite appreciative to hear how you score, and where you score. There is a lot of useful and interesting information scattered throughout the firewood forum. I thought it might be nice to share some of your experiences in one thread, for those who are just starting out and maybe those who are struggling a bit. Thanks to anyone who cares to share.

Thank you @mainewoods for one of the bests threads on AS.:rock2::bowdown::rock2::bowdown:
scrounge on men. :chop::cheers:

I decided to skip working on the log wagon today and went back to the bush. Had a somewhat productive day when it came to getting home down and hauled to the landing. Not sure if I'm going to be able to get much home tomorrow though. The fields are still soft from all the rain we had and the snow drifts are like sugar. 1st pic is the old landing and the 2nd pic is the new landing.
IMG_20170114_132057.jpg IMG_20170114_161339.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170114_161339.jpg
    IMG_20170114_161339.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
I also decided to do a mod on my 440. The saw is getting too heavy for me so I decided to do a chain cover mod and remove some weight. Likely should have just used a grinder to do it but I thought that's the wimp way out. I picked Ash sisters to do the mod work. The branches were intertwined good so I figured when I cut the 1st one that it would jam the bar then swivel as it fell and land right on the chain side cover and break off just enough weight to make the saw lighter to handle. I even missed the face cut on purpose so it would swivel more. It went just as I figured I'm sure the saw is going to be much better to use. You can see where the bar jammed on the left side. I cut the other sister down and it went perfect. The 2nd one was a heavy leaner, I wish I had did a bore cut on them both. Normally I would have just cut it down low as one tree but there was just too many other trees that they would hang up on. Maybe should have removed the other trees 1st and left these until the last.
IMG_20170114_143940.jpg IMG_20170114_143926.jpg IMG_20170114_161325.jpg

I also decided to do a mod on my 440. The saw is getting too heavy for me so I decided to do a chain cover mod and remove some weight. Likely should have just used a grinder to do it but I thought that's the wimp way out. I picked Ash sisters to do the mod work. The branches were intertwined good so I figured when I cut the 1st one that it would jam the bar then swivel as it fell and land right on the chain side cover and break off just enough weight to make the saw lighter to handle. I even missed the face cut on purpose so it would swivel more. It went just as I figured I'm sure the saw is going to be much better to use. You can see where the bar jammed on the left side. I cut the other sister down and it went perfect. The 2nd one was a heavy leaner, I wish I had did a bore cut on them both. Normally I would have just cut it down low as one tree but there was just too many other trees that they would hang up on. Maybe should have removed the other trees 1st and left these until the last.
View attachment 550866 View attachment 550870 View attachment 550872

I just repaired one that was much worse than that, missing about a third of it.

Used Aluminum flashing and Loctite PL Premium. Bet it will be stronger than new. Fold the bottom over, and cover it with stuff, so no sharp edges.

Attachments

• IMG_20170114_192443456.jpg
    IMG_20170114_192443456.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20170114_192502000.jpg
    IMG_20170114_192502000.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 34

Latest posts

Back