Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cowboy, a wedge or two and an X-27 will free a lot of stuck saws, and is lighter than a second saw! I'm sometimes surprised how well it works. (but I always have a second saw just in case).

You're right of course, Mike and @benp . I always have wedges and the maul with me, you'll note one in the log in one of yesterday's pics. This particular cut was at a splintered fork and the cut closed up rapidly early in the cut and I wasn't quick enough to get the saw out. Too early to get a wedge in in any case. The other saw was a few metres away while I would have had to walk at least 25 whole metres to get the maul. And back. I've never actually needed to use another saw to cut one out but on this particular occasion it was the nearest to hand. Still, it wasn't the worst example of ****uppery I committed yesterday. I'm so embarrassed I'm not sure I can bring myself to admit it in public.

Often, I can use the wedge to free the saw after it gets stuck, you don't need to have the wedge in the cut ahead of time (unless you are expecting a pinch). What I was saying is that it is surprising how easily a wedge will often open up a pinched cut with just a few wacks with the splitting ax.

No felling , scrounging or splitting here today , 28*, 70 mph wind gusts , 12"+ of sideways snow .
I even brought the little MF1020 from out of the woods yesterday , took the winch off of it and mounted the snowblower .
I wouldn't trade this snow event for a week of 40*C lol

macdonaldbridge_20170213-145319_nrcBSi3O6vodxI1q.jpg

Here's a cam pic of a major roadway and bridge in the city .
It should look like this .

a5a20c3295bcaf5c577bf230456d8114cc10e1fabf491440a908bdfe51b42087.jpg

You're right of course, Mike and @benp . I always have wedges and the maul with me, you'll note one in the log in one of yesterday's pics. This particular cut was at a splintered fork and the cut closed up rapidly early in the cut and I wasn't quick enough to get the saw out. Too early to get a wedge in in any case. The other saw was a few metres away while I would have had to walk at least 25 whole metres to get the maul. And back. I've never actually needed to use another saw to cut one out but on this particular occasion it was the nearest to hand. Still, it wasn't the worst example of ****uppery I committed yesterday. I'm so embarrassed I'm not sure I can bring myself to admit it in public.

Well, I mean...since you brought it up, you gotta share now...haha

We are scrounging cabbages, broccoli, collards, mustard greens now. Grass is finally greening up..cows keep looking at it going "wonder what this green stuff is"? They went six months eating only old hay and brown stuff. I'll start mowing end of the week or next week most likely. I start cutting 2021/22 season wood shortly now.

Definitely been a warm winter, my blueberry bushes and cherry trees are starting to bud and my elderberries already have small leaves. I'm dreading a bad cold snap come March or April, I know its going to happen I just hope its sooner than later I hate to see all my fruit trees get hit.

We are scrounging cabbages, broccoli, collards, mustard greens now. Grass is finally greening up..cows keep looking at it going "wonder what this green stuff is"? They went six months eating only old hay and brown stuff. I'll start mowing end of the week or next week most likely. I start cutting 2021/22 season wood shortly now.
Hey Mark!

Enjoyed a bunch of the grits you sent this weekend for breakfast and dinner. Loaded them up with butter and bacon salt and they were delish. Thanks again!

Well, I mean...since you brought it up, you gotta share now...haha

Ok, it's confession time. Obtain :popcorn2:.

There was a good size peppermint that I liked the look of after I had cut up the other one on Sunday. It was the bigger one in the background.

5th Feb 3.jpg

I put a fresh chain on. The trunk was about 30 inches and I took a wide buttress off the far side to make it manageable with the 25 inch bar. Did the face cut. Start the back cut. I couldn't easily see how I was going and put the chain brake on a bit less than half way through the cut to have a look around, letting Limby idle in the cut just holding him there with one hand. Cut looks good, chain brake off, continue cutting. Then the clutch cover falls off. Chain brake goes on in a flash just before the saw comes apart and I'm standing there like an idiot with the powerhead in my hands, the bar and the chain still in the tree and the clutch cover and a black rubber thingy that lives in the clutch cover on the ground. You RETARD! I hadn't done up the nuts on the clutch cover tight enough and while it was idling with the clutch cover facing down, the heavy vibration while idling had initiated their undoing :buttkick:. I normally do them up pretty firmly anyway but I reckon I might put a bit more twist on my nuts from now on.

I didn't take any pics of the saw in pieces, I was too busy self-flagellating. No pics means it didn't happen, right?

Anyway, there was some really nice wood in this one and once I put it all back together with some extra nut twisting, I started working back along one of the limbs that was held nicely off the ground.

12th Feb 2.jpg

Then one of the rounds hits the ground and bounces back onto the bar and flicks the chain off. And it started raining harder. Screw this, I'm going home.

Ok, it's confession time. Obtain :popcorn2:.

There was a good size peppermint that I liked the look of after I had cut up the other one on Sunday. It was the bigger one in the background.

View attachment 558017

I put a fresh chain on. The trunk was about 30 inches and I took a wide buttress off the far side to make it manageable with the 25 inch bar. Did the face cut. Start the back cut. I couldn't easily see how I was going and put the chain brake on a bit less than half way through the cut to have a look around, letting Limby idle in the cut just holding him there with one hand. Cut looks good, chain brake off, continue cutting. Then the clutch cover falls off. Chain brake goes on in a flash just before the saw comes apart and I'm standing there like an idiot with the powerhead in my hands, the bar and the chain still in the tree and the clutch cover and a black rubber thingy that lives in the clutch cover on the ground. You RETARD! I hadn't done up the nuts on the clutch cover tight enough and while it was idling with the clutch cover facing down, the heavy vibration while idling had initiated their undoing :buttkick:. I normally do them up pretty firmly anyway but I reckon I might put a bit more twist on my nuts from now on.

I didn't take any pics of the saw in pieces, I was too busy self-flagellating. No pics means it didn't happen, right?

Anyway, there was some really nice wood in this one and once I put it all back together with some extra nut twisting, I started working back along one of the limbs that was held nicely off the ground.

View attachment 558016

Then one of the rounds hits the ground and bounces back onto the bar and flicks the chain off. And it started raining harder. Screw this, I'm going home.

I have an old set of chaps with a full tank of bar oil down the left leg
not sure how the cap jumped off
someone must have forgot ... not me but I had no help that day

Back