Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy Father's Day to all you scroungers out there!
Thanks for all of the Fathers Day good wishes. I bought my Massey Ferguson 135 from a friend. He brought it home to MD to sell. We've been friends for a while and I knew he had a farm in WV. Turns out the 135 was bought new in 66 and lived on his family farm, one road over from my farm. So, he took it home to WV for me. I had the 8' grader blade on it and ran down my driveway and leveled all of the washed out spots in two passes. Didn't get pics of my place, I was in a hurry to get over to his place, I'd never seen it. He has 366 acres. He had two sheds and as we drove past one I saw a deer bedded down in the corner of the shed. He laughed and said more lived in the other shed because he kept hay in it for them. He's been cleaning up around the farm and we brought an old Gravely walk behind home. He was telling me his uncle had a saw mill on the property. We were in another shed and I saw a wooden pulley sticking out from under a pile of junk. It looked like the kind of pulley that big leather drive belts ran on. I asked if it was on some kind of transmission. He said yeah. So, I started climbing over stuff to get a look. The trans was setting in an old truck frame, so I dug more, and saw a firewall, uncovered more, and there was a model T engine. I might try and buy it from him and restore it as a drive unit, just like it is. Another friend has 4 model T's and he might give more for the engine than I will. His bush hog gear box blew up so we pulled it to see if we can get a new one. He has two riding mowers for the yard proper so we mowed the lawn. His Aunt, who actually owns the property was coming up later in the week to spend some time on the old home place. I had a really nice day, got my drive graded, saw Steve's farm and got his lawn mowed. Here's the couple pics I got of his place, Joe.

House and big barn:

Old log corn cribs inside big barn. Big barn was built around the cribs much later:

The shed to the right has the T engine in it:

A couple more, this is the shed with the deer in it:

And last, this Turtle that was crossing the road, It's not a box turtle, too flat. It's not a painted water turtle, too thick. Not a snapper. I did a search and think it's an American Wood Turtle. The thing was hauling butt and I would just keep up with it walking fast. It was hard to get a pick he was going so fast, Joe.

Hey Philbert, I love that limited edition wood handled fiskars! is it hickory?
Good eye Neil! Guys here were dissin' the Fiskars with it's composite, fiberglass, guaranteed-for-life handle a while back, so I decided to see if a wood handle would make it better. It does!
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/fiskars-x27-what-a-piece-of-plastic.269270/page-17 (starting around Post#330)

Similar strategy worked for me upgrading my grinder: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/hf-chain-grinder-thread.268303/page-3 (Post #46) - that one almost got me banned. . . .

Philbert

Good eye Neil! Guys here were dissin' the Fiskars with it's composite, fiberglass, guaranteed-for-life handle a while back, so I decided to see if a wood handle would make it better. It does!
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/fiskars-x27-what-a-piece-of-plastic.269270/page-17 (starting around Post#330)

Similar strategy worked for me upgrading my grinder: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/hf-chain-grinder-thread.268303/page-3 (Post #46) - that one almost got me banned. . . .

Philbert
Oh god the Fiskars battles used to be legendary around here. With good old CTyank leading the charge lmfao!

Neil , I hope you live a long life :)

I'm sure he will. And it will be more satisfying life if he gets a bigger saw :rock:.

My tip. Whatever saw you end up getting, make it a pro saw. Homeowner saws will do your head in sooner or later and you'll kick yourself for not getting a decent saw first up. Also, if you buy it new, you're not going to have to put up with the consequences of other people's mistreatment. The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.

I'm sure he will. And it will be more satisfying life if he gets a bigger saw :rock:.

My tip. Whatever saw you end up getting, make it a pro saw. Homeowner saws will do your head in sooner or later and you'll kick yourself for not getting a decent saw first up. Also, if you buy it new, you're not going to have to put up with the consequences of other people's mistreatment. The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.
I learned this the hard way...I'll buy new from now on.

I always buy pro saws. But, my friend and I were at an equipment auction and there was a little 14" Homelite, looked like brand new in case with some extra stuff. He pulled the cord and said the compression felt good. I said you can't always tell just by pulling. Told him the first thing I do is check the gas. Why would some one put a brand new saw in a junk auction? Because it wasn't running, why? If they straight gassed it it would be ruined. I dumped the gas out and it was pure oil. They had filled the wrong tanks, gas in oil, oil in gas. Flushed it out, filled with fresh mix. Started right up, smoked like a freight train, but ran good. After a while it quit smoking. He gave it to his son. For $35, made a good little starter saw. I normally wouldn't even look at it. Now I might start looking for stuff like that to flip, to make a little extra cash, so I can buy more good saws. Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we, start to hoard chainsaws! Joe.

Cowboy, I see an X-27, a Timber Jack, and some good running pro Stihls, and I feel right at home!

Neil, open your wallet and get a more modern 044/440. It is lighter, larger (displacement) & faster. Do it, and be done with it, you will never regret it. (They are also much easier for the "do it at home guy" to modify & improve performance).

So, my wife is complaining to a friend of mine the other day, "Why do I need 8 saws"!!! I just stood there and smiled, and later told him I'm up to 12! When she told me I could not buy any more, I got some for free for fixing other saws, what is she going to say??? Where there is a will, there is a way!

Thanks Steve, for years I've used the cutting & splitting as part of my "workout routine", which is why I used to do so much splitting by hand.

Oh, and tell Neil what you thought of my 044 (so that he knows the opinion is not just from the owner or from a Stihl guy).

I still do other things though, many overlook aerobic workouts. I biked 32 miles last night (a group of 4 guys), and did 44 miles the previous time out. The bike riding was later in the day after my friends return home from work, I split wood for a couple of hours earlier in the day (Black Birch & Pig Nut Hickory). Both are stingy as heck and often require the splitter to fully cycle. Trying to get everything I have already cut split by the end of June.

Back