Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just about had to turn in my scrounger card yesterday.

Was walking though a shopping area with my wife and daughter. In a very full roll off container behind a store there was not one, but two hand trucks aka two wheeled carts sitting in the pile.

Since I'm 1500 miles from home, transportation would be tough.

But, this is what he did not get, my unported MS440 Noodling Red Oak (it really runs like a larger saw)!

Good saw ya got there! That round is the size I was splitting last year. I was surprised that it split but it did. I have to call and see if they are selling more this year. A truck that held 4 cord of hardwood rounds was $200 plus $100 to deliver.

Just about had to turn in my scrounger card yesterday.

Was walking though a shopping area with my wife and daughter. In a very full roll off container behind a store there was not one, but two hand trucks aka two wheeled carts sitting in the pile.

Since I'm 1500 miles from home, transportation would be tough.

I hat when I am away and see good free stuff I have to leave. Good size pile of oak last weekend but we were 1.5 hours from home.

fired up the log splitter yesterday, it sat all winter but fired up first pull ! I guess the gasoline enzyme stuff does work. My splitter has a drip leak from the filter when running. Not worth draining a 10 gallon tank. I am wondering if I could patch it with some thing if I cleaned it up 1st.
gypsy moth caterpillars are a plague around here. Lots of trees are stripped clean, took a few pictures of some in our yard. This is the 2nd year of this so lots of trees may be dead next year. Good for scrounging but bad news overall. I had to wash my truck for the 1st time ever, the poop and chewed leaves were thick and the wipers could not clear it up even after a hard rain. I almost fell in the driveway because I was rolling on the poop.004.JPG 004.JPG 001.JPG 003.JPG

Took the family out in the new to me camper this weekend. The scrounged firewood from the backyard piles made a nice camp fire.
893c5b4029638b4f51055c19d28dd354.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Standing that round up looks like a feat in itself!

I did have someone there to help a bit, but mostly was the work of a long piece of Hard Maple I cut to use as a lever. You learn to do these things when you don't have heavy equipment. Can't let stuff stop you!

Back in the day, Stihl Dealers were discouraged from selling Pro Level saws to individuals who were not Pros. They were considered too dangerous, and there were litigation concerns.

Homeowners were to be guided toward the more mild mannered saws!

Unintended kickback from a powerful saw was a major concern.

I had a dealer refuse to sell me an MS192T "That's professional use only". No good explaining the difference between homeowner and professional GRADE saws. Something wrong with his reasoning as he was plenty happy to sell me an MS361.

Yeah, I get all that. But...

You know, I was at the footy last week with a mate of mine and we had a coupla beers. It was a good game, 70,000 people in attendance, and in the end my team won in a thriller. After the second beer, he said to me, "You know, that second beer went down better than the first" And I said, "Yeah, you're right! So it stands to reason....." . I can't actually remember the end of the game, but those extra beers definitely went down better as they went.

Let's be honest. You have a tiny saw. Sure, it's a Stihl which makes it awesome. But still tiny. You need a bigger saw. It stands to reason.

I started out with a 50 odd cc saw - the landowner MS310 Farmboss. Started off liking it, but liked it less over time. It was ok, not great. Didn't necessarily want to start. Couldn't pull a 20 inch bar happily in aussie hardwood. Air filter was stupid. Anti-vibe next to non-existent. Eventually I told Cowgirl I was going to buy some new tyres for the Subaru and went and bought the 460 workhorse as well.

My first new saw was the MS310 with 20 and 24" bars. Worked a lot of softwood up to 30" inches. Then ran into a clearcut job of a grove with a coupld 4' DBH. MS361 came home with me. That was in the first years of production. THe MS361 with up to 28" bar and the MS310 made a really good team. Then I somehow found an MS441 CM in the trunk of my car after a trip to the dealer 2 years ago. 441 with 32" bar just laughs at that big softwood. 361 is pretty much a spectator any more with the 310 16 or 20" bar and the 441 with 25'-32" bars as the main saw.

Also have the MS193T (after my MS192T took a wald one night).

Yes, one should have at least two saws, 1 on the smaller side and one bigger one.

Scrounged a free fridge for my garage. Well more like an unexpected trade I did some work for a buddy to get his old poulan 2150 running and since he knew I could use a fridge he gave it to me when I dropped off the saw.
ed82586965b63a5bc903685ead3a1968.jpg
b8897b380a5055efb7ea6133e07ee023.jpg

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

My first new saw was the MS310 with 20 and 24" bars.
Excluding a wild thing that died an entirely unnatural death just prior, that's how I started out too. Can't bring myself to part with the 310 now. Next came the 7900 and the two saw plan was realised. Then a few tiny saws came and went but a 241 stuck around. I tripped and fell into a 395 sale, then was lured to slightly racier part of town chasing an edgy 261. Now, I think the new 2 saw plan will settle down to the 261 and 395. With old-faithful (310) there to lean on when/if one of the other two break my heart.

Wood Nazi, nothing wrong with making this one a 12' then the next one can be 16'. Last count I had over 20 trailers, about 7 we use often. My wife hauls a trailer at least 3 days a week pulling mowers. No hitch on the minivan or I would buy even more trailers. Daughter even has one of my trailers in Ottawa.
I was in the 2nd floor of my barn for that picture. A few minutes before that I might have been throwing raccoon crap at my wife from up there. No pictures of that and I likely made my own supper that night.

I keep reading of these bug infestations over your way, I'm assuming this is caused by global warming / climate change, allowing the bugs to get out of control?

They have always come and gone in 7 year cycles, some are just worse than others.

It is why the Timber Co sold the land I purchased upstate NY in 1985, and they have only been real bad up there once since then.

They have always come and gone in 7 year cycles, some are just worse than others.

It is why the Timber Co sold the land I purchased upstate NY in 1985, and they have only been real bad up there once since then.

We have cicadas - green, about 2.5-3 inches long - that have a 7 year life cycle. And when that one summer in seven comes around you can hardly hear yourself think if you go outside. Oh the screechening!

Back