Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This could be a good scrounging tool, or a two wheel cart with similar wheel/tire set-up, for no vehicle access forestry places close to the road. It would be a little nicer if it had matching treads. Saw it at the local junk yard/you pull the parts place.View attachment 637739
Those do work well, I'd like one with motorcycle wheels. Look at that axle :).
I've had those things piled very high and my 100 lbs plus toolbox in them, Only thing I don't like about LKQ(if that's where you were)is the only know that the car is there and not what's left on it, that can be a bummer at times.

This could be a good scrounging tool, or a two wheel cart with similar wheel/tire set-up, for no vehicle access forestry places close to the road. It would be a little nicer if it had matching treads. Saw it at the local junk yard/you pull the parts place.View attachment 637739
My neighbor had one of those, someone mass produces them with regular wheelbarrow tires. It is tough to steer on rough ground but works great on flat ground.

My neighbor had one of those, someone mass produces them with regular wheelbarrow tires. It is tough to steer on rough ground but works great on flat ground.
I have one with the plastic tub and two regular wheelbarrow tires. The first time I use it I was hauling a mountain of mulch across a dew covered hill, unlike a standard one wheeled unit I was unable to tip one handle to turn uphill a bit. It ends up I went for a ride as it pulled be down the hill :surprised3:. The great thing was there was nothing there to hit and no-one was hurt, that was the first time skiing behind a wheelbarrow lol. They are easy to steer, it's just different than a standard wheelbarrow.
I can carry a load that's heaping high on it of hardwood(not spruce) and as long as I put the heavy pieces up front it's pretty easy to move. This thing has done a lot of work for me through the years(at least 15-16), I've replaced the handles with some from a garage sale and repaired the tub. The only thing I've really wanted was taller tires to make going through deeper snow or mud a bit easier as well as make it ride smoother on frozen ground.
Here it is with a small load of scrounged wood :).
Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 10.22.23 AM.png

Well I didn' get the 490 done but the last cherry/birch had to come down. Grabbed the Del saw and 355 and went to work.View attachment 637622downView attachment 637623limbedView attachment 637624cut and loaded. All 16"View attachment 637626355 has become the grab and go truck saw pulls the 14 no problem and keeps getting stronger.

At the risk of flip flopping and great embarrassment, that looks like Black Cherry. Can be so hard to tell from pics.

Sorry to all!!!

That's the place. I stopped in to see what they would give for my minivan. $215. ...if I could drive it there.
Last time I was there, years ago, it had rained for days and the back seat bottom benches were everywhere as foot bridges thru the mud. Had our son with us then, and got to show him a stripped 280Z. I had one when I met his mom.
Motorcycle wheels would be great. Narrower and large rolling radius.

I have one with the plastic tub and two regular wheelbarrow tires. The first time I use it I was hauling a mountain of mulch across a dew covered hill, unlike a standard one wheeled unit I was unable to tip one handle to turn uphill a bit. It ends up I went for a ride as it pulled be down the hill :surprised3:. The great thing was there was nothing there to hit and no-one was hurt, that was the first time skiing behind a wheelbarrow lol. They are easy to steer, it's just different than a standard wheelbarrow.
I can carry a load that's heaping high on it of hardwood(not spruce) and as long as I put the heavy pieces up front it's pretty easy to move. This thing has done a lot of work for me through the years(at least 15-16), I've replaced the handles with some from a garage sale and repaired the tub. The only thing I've really wanted was taller tires to make going through deeper snow or mud a bit easier as well as make it ride smoother on frozen ground.
Here it is with a small load of scrounged wood :).
View attachment 637766

15-16 YEARS!!!!! You got to be kidding. I bought the exact same wheelbarrow, cracked the tub on the second use hauling firewood, completely unusable after 4-5 uses. Total junk IMO. I called the company (Jackson) and told them about it; they sold me a steel tub as a replacement (smaller but more durable). I have 3 double wheeled wheelbarrows, all with steel tubs. Love them but when it comes to an incline it is either straight up or straight down.

Before speed bumps and Blue Laws were extinguished, they used to set up Jim Conner's races in the parking lots on Sundays. The 240 Zs were stars!

Way better than the Mustangs and Camaro's of the day. Now I see the 2018 Stang beats the BMW M-4 on the track, and they yawn because the Camaro is even faster! Like the world is upside down!!!

Not long ago a Mustang GT beating a BMW M car would have been utopia!!!

Steeda is doing some real interesting things with the new Stang, both in the corners and in the straight line.

Only one wheel on my wheelbarrow, but I made Hard Maple handles for it, and put 1/8 treated plywood in the bottom, bolted and deck screwed to the handles.

Stronger than it ever was from the factory, and you can abuse the heck out of it throwing wood or rocks in.

(The Wheelbarrow was someone else's throw away).

The 280 was a big straight six with fuel injection. It also had a deceleration pump, whatever that is?
For firewood a flat bricky style wheelbarrow is my preference. I added a pipe clamp on each handle. This is obviously a makeshift one that I pulled the metal tub off off. A true brick wheelbarrow would have the riser 90* to the raised up bottom. Works great for small daily loads from the wood shed (fuel for two stoves). The atv trailer worked good too, maybe a weeks worth of wood, but takes up a lot more room in the garage. And the cat gets in the trailer and pisses in the chips and firewood litter. Which I don't care per say, but the stink stays after a while even when cleaned out. The wheelbarrow size wheel is definitely too small for scrounging in the woods however. Might work for a light load of saw and tools, but not for heavy loads here where the forest floor is thick and soft.
Edit: I used to make a few runs with light loads to the truck to get a tire path, then add a bit more as the ground tightened up some. Mostly I cut in the winter and used a sled for two big rounds at a time.
The smaller stuff was hard to keep on a sled.IMG_5600.jpg

That's the place. I stopped in to see what they would give for my minivan. $215. ...if I could drive it there.
Last time I was there, years ago, it had rained for days and the back seat bottom benches were everywhere as foot bridges thru the mud. Had our son with us then, and got to show him a stripped 280Z. I had one when I met his mom.
Motorcycle wheels would be great. Narrower and large rolling radius.
I like to go to the one in Wayland. I try to go when it's cold out, but not raining, as you know it's a mess.
My buddy in Walker has a few of the 280's, he had a very tricked out one when he was in Cali, cool old cars.
With the motorcycle wheels it would also be easy to switch the bearings out if needed to another side or weld a piece of an axle to a piece of square stock as they do :).
15-16 YEARS!!!!! You got to be kidding. I bought the exact same wheelbarrow, cracked the tub on the second use hauling firewood, completely unusable after 4-5 uses. Total junk IMO. I called the company (Jackson) and told them about it; they sold me a steel tub as a replacement (smaller but more durable). I have 3 double wheeled wheelbarrows, all with steel tubs. Love them but when it comes to an incline it is either straight up or straight down.
I agree about the tub, I reinforced the inside bottom and front of mine with plastic a while ago(I also stitched it with zip straps prior to that), it has been working, but has gotten a little worse than before. The reason mine got real bad is because I had a bunch of folks at our church who have no concept of manual labor loading fairly large rocks(took two hands to lift them) and they were throwing/dropping them in and it trashed it. I'd like to make a nice tub for it out of aluminum, but the pole barn has to come before I do any major fab projects, here at the house anyway :D.
You can see the cracks, it has been very well used, mainly at the house, but also on plenty of landscaping jobs as well as plenty of roofing jobs.
I've had no problems going across reasonably steep hill just as long as I remember which wheelbarrow I'm using.
Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 2.22.48 PM.png

Picked up three loads of oak and hickory rounds. Took the majority of this pile. They are cut to random lengths between 16-20 inches but for free I couldn’t refuse! I think I’m good on wood for a little. I have a 3 year plan set for now, my wife could kill me if I did a 5 year plan.

Attachments

• D8BC60B8-379C-4E12-8280-1FBBF9E6D423.jpeg
    D8BC60B8-379C-4E12-8280-1FBBF9E6D423.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 9
Picked up three loads of oak and hickory rounds. Took the majority of this pile. They are cut to random lengths between 16-20 inches but for free I couldn’t refuse! I think I’m good on wood for a little. I have a 3 year plan set for now, my wife could kill me if I did a 5 year plan.

You wouldn't let a little thing like that stop you, would you?

looks good. the hickory will be good in 2 but 3 years is better. S/S and top covered. tell the boss you need to start working on year 4.

lol...I was gonna say...if she wears the pants why are you the one getting the firewood?! :D
Because she told him to :surprised3::lol:.
But he has said elsewhere that he wears them, she just buys them :yes:.
I wear their underwear. My wife buys it on sale
Hopefully you know we're all joking :).
It does look like a nice load.
I think I'm at around 20yrs now :omg:, I blame the guys in this thread :laugh:.

Does rip/milling chain work better for noodling than regular chain or is it just better for milling? When I put the 32 on and cut big logs to 18" lengths I then noodle into quarters or eighths to be able to pick it up, these big ash trees around the corner from my house are alot bigger than I thought they were and I have to do alot of noodling to get the pieces down to size. I cant even get quarters off the ground.

And another thing, this stump is not turnable. I measure 18" from the base, cut down a little, put a wedge in the top, then cut down almost to the ground. Pull the saw, measure 18" to the next cut, repeat. I had like 6 cuts made almost to the ground then just cut the last little bit of each chunk all the way to the ground knowing I was probably going to get into the dirt on some of the cuts. I knew I was going to be changing to the 20" for noodling and I had spare chains with me, and I knew I could file the chain when I got back home(a mile away) anyway, so it wasnt a big deal. I just got done filing that chain and it actually wasnt bad. Just dirty. The ground out there is really soft so I think I got lucky, but what do you do in a situation like that to keep the chain out of the dirt? When I made the face cut I put the wedge right in line with the tree so when it fell the wedge would prop the tree up a little bit. Yea right. That 36" 15ft tall trunk came down and buried that wedge 6" into the ground. When it hit the ground it didn't roll, bounce, tip or anything. Just THUD. And thats where it stayed planted. It was like dropping a bowling ball on a beach.

Does rip/milling chain work better for noodling than regular chain or is it just better for milling? When I put the 32 on and cut big logs to 18" lengths I then noodle into quarters or eighths to be able to pick it up, these big ash trees around the corner from my house are alot bigger than I thought they were and I have to do alot of noodling to get the pieces down to size. I cant even get quarters off the ground.

And another thing, this stump is not turnable. I measure 18" from the base, cut down a little, put a wedge in the top, then cut down almost to the ground. Pull the saw, measure 18" to the next cut, repeat. I had like 6 cuts made almost to the ground then just cut the last little bit of each chunk all the way to the ground knowing I was probably going to get into the dirt on some of the cuts. I knew I was going to be changing to the 20" for noodling and I had spare chains with me, and I knew I could file the chain when I got back home(a mile away) anyway, so it wasnt a big deal. I just got done filing that chain and it actually wasnt bad. Just dirty. The ground out there is really soft so I think I got lucky, but what do you do in a situation like that to keep the chain out of the dirt? When I made the face cut I put the wedge right in line with the tree so when it fell the wedge would prop the tree up a little bit. Yea right. That 36" 15ft tall trunk came down and buried that wedge 6" into the ground. When it hit the ground it didn't roll, bounce, tip or anything. Just THUD. And thats where it stayed planted. It was like dropping a bowling ball on a beach.
I’ve dealt with some of those big rounds. It can be challenging to say the least if you are by yourself or don’t have a loader bucket close by! What you are doing is how I do it. Cut down almost to the ground, using the wedge to hold the cut open. Move down the log until you either get to a spot where you can cut through or get to the end. I have dug a hole under and fished a strap through and rolled a log with the truck. If this isn’t possible, I just carefully peck at the bottom of the cut and do my best to keep out of the dirt. I use full chisel chain to noodle.

Back