Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Done a little back yard scrounging lately. Thought this tree was much smaller looking at it every day through the kitchen window. Turns out it’s 22 inches across the base. Biggest tree I’ve fell to date.

eea9361531de603bd4ce6b58730341aa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Very nice! Looks like good splitting wood.

I call a motion to REVOKE a scrounger licence! For the offences of:
a. Turning down zogger wood, aka no split wood
b. walking past wood on the doorstep
c. passing by Oak and locust. I bet even spruce.

Will anyone second this motion? ;)

I concur! There is no way I would ever allow firewood within 10 yards of my property go unscrounged, it's just wrong. It simply goes against scrounging etiquette. Heck, I'd even scrounge spruce just for the laughs. I'm not convinced that having enough already is a satisfactory excuse. I have two winter's worth bone dry and a further winter's worth half dry but all I can think about is going and scrounging more. Admittedly, the summer heat has wilted the flesh a bit but the spirit wants to scrounge and summer will pass. Actually, I don't think I have seen photographic evidence of @Philbert 's scrounges. I hope he's not just running the gas furnace.

Actually, the neighbour has five large leaning radiata (Monterey) pines that are getting past their use-by date. They're kinda like spruce in a way aren't they? I'd scrounge those. Mix in with our grouse Aussie hardwood, should be great! The arborist asked (on their behalf) if he could take them down on our side of the property boundary a while back but we've heard nothing since.

9th Mar 1.jpg

Slight change of subject - sometimes I worry about creosote and the flue catching fire when it is really cranked up. Having never looked in there it could have been coated. However, a few months ago, a good thunderstorm blew the chinaman's hat off the flue.

2nd Jan 1.jpg

That gave me an opportunity to peer down there when I stuck it back on. Even after shoulder season slow burning, it was almost like a gun barrel. A very light coat of ash and a little black stuff. No big globules of creosote anywhere. There's something to be said for burning dry wood.

Yea right. They said the brush crew will be here in a couple weeks. You guys need to come over here. I cant cut all this myself. I got the big pile 10mins from the house, the 2 big ash trunks a mile down the road and a 7 mile gas line project going on.
Just checked Hanover to Groveport 6 hours 15 minutes. Need to get my jeep fixed I could make a weekend trip.

City is doing heavy pruning on my block today. Only happens every _(?)_ years. Lots of 'zogger wood' (up to about 8" maximum) available, but I really have no place to put it. Plus, they are kind of cleaning up as they go, so (fortunately) I can't be tempted to sneak out later tonight and pick through it!

View attachment 638008 View attachment 638009

Philbert
Philbert being Philbert turned down the wood but he couldn’t resist.......... and offered to sharpen the boys chains;)

I call a motion to REVOKE a scrounger licence! For the offences of:
a. Turning down zogger wood, aka no split wood
b. walking past wood on the doorstep
c. passing by Oak and locust. I bet even spruce.

Will anyone second this motion? ;)
I guess I just had my card burned and unceremoniously kicked out. I've got a load of dead Oak on the truck now. I've got a bunch of 6-8 inch Hickory on there too. The only reason the hickory is taking up space that could be filled with Oak is, it was on the driveway, and it was farther to throw it back in the woods, so I threw it on the truck. :)

Just checked Hanover to Groveport 6 hours 15 minutes. Need to get my jeep fixed I could make a weekend trip.
You're going to need something bigger than a jeep. I don't know how but the guys over at the construction site dropped 2 of the big red oaks at the entrance so I could get to them.

Attachments

• 20180309_091325.jpg
    20180309_091325.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 43
You're going to need something bigger than a jeep. I don't know how but the guys over at the construction site dropped 2 of the big red oaks at the entrance so I could get to them.
The jeep is what I would have. I'd still be a guy running a second saw and that gets the work done faster.

Back