Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can run 27" long and the door is 12"x 12" but that size is not practical because even though the burn chamber is polly 20" in diameter you always have something in there burning .
Beauty day here today so I shot over to my friends place that we had dropped a bunch of trees so he could make a back yard .
Since green oak is heavy I blocked up the stems and split them to make the carry easier .

View attachment 643533

Yup , block , split , file then repeat , daum yard trees :(

View attachment 643535

I had plenty already down the the next thing I know ...

View attachment 643538

My buddy is up there with my saw , 4 more maples came down this afternoon lol
I got the trailer with all the oak that I blocked and split up but was running out of time so to make it a proper scrounge load ...

View attachment 643539

I filled the last row with some nice spruce that we had blocked up the last time we were there :)
It was a good afternoon , my buddy was happy , the trees fell where we wanted , we did have a rope in a couple just for the extra safety factor because of powerlines .
Looks like my backyard. All rocky and stuff.
Lots of nice Red oak there. Great firewood after it seasons about two years, but great fuel.

I still have the little Poulan 3314 that I bought brand new in 2006. Sat in the shed for several years at a time. Dumped old fuel, reload, run. Then I started scrounging. It cut 3yrs worth of firewood that I will burn through the last of NEXT winter. None of the Huskys that I have now touched any of that wood. And it still runs.

I headed out to give the Lady Farmer some more wood today. Not many pics since she was mocking me taking pics of my wood. I'm not convinced she fully understands male needs - specifically, the need to take pics of his chainsawing and post them on the interweb.

Anyway, I split up the rest of the peppermint rounds from the other day and cleaned up a couple of fallen branches from the neighbouring blue gum. That made up the first trailer load. I used the 310 with a freshly sharpened chain and it did ok on the blue gum until the branch got to 12 inches then it was very slow going. The last few cuts I did with the 460 which ate it up.

2nd Apr 3.jpg

Nearby there was a long straight fallen blue gum. About 3 inches at the end and about 14 at the base which is deceptively far away. The round propped under the log was about a third of the way along from where I took the pic. In @dancan 's words, it was long, straight....and hers.

2nd Apr 1.jpg

Good BTUs in this though and nice and dry. The semi-chisel on the 460 made it cope a lot better with this hard stuff than with full chisel. With the log being dry it had started to crack along its length which made splitting the rounds much less of a pain than blue gum normally is. I halved the rounds too big to fit straight in the firebox with generally only one hit from the 8lber.

2nd Apr 2.jpg

The blue gum is more ashy than peppermint but has better BTUs so peppermint through the day and blue gum at night should go well. I've cut about 7 cubes for her in the last week, will hopefully get out and cut a bit for me this week. Nice day all the same and it's good to get a bit of 2-stroke exhaust in the lungs and sawdust up the nose. Makes me feel like a man again.

:)

A 2300 or s25 would out last the stihl and echo combined.
James, I love those little 25's, I guess we started using them in the late 70's. A few pages back you said you'd like an old Homelite, but it would have to come cheap. I got the little 150 Automatic for $5, dumped the old fuel, filled it up with fresh, primed it and it runs so well I cut two little trailer loads of Cherry with it Saturday morning. Now I'm going to start grabbing some of the little ones I used to pass on. My old rule of thumb was at least a 24"bar, and 70CC's. I will still only get ones that are old enough that I remember using them or older, Joe.

It was a really nice day today, so it was a good day to cut some firewood!

My helper came over, so we hooked the wagon behind the tractor and pulled it out back, to my stockpile of "scrounged wood" and got started cutting,

standard.jpg

You can cut a LOT of wood pretty fast with the tractor doing all the heavy lifting,

standard.jpg

So it wasn't too long and we had a full wagon!

standard.jpg

"Johnny" really kicked azz again today,

standard.jpg

So we hooked the wagon back up to the tractor and headed to where I do my splitting,

standard.jpg

We ran EVERYTHING through the 4-way wedge,

standard.jpg

and it didn't take too long before the wagon was empty,

standard.jpg

and we had another two cord pile of NICE oak splits...

AND, there's STILL another load left in our "scrounge pile" too,

standard.jpg

and even more in the woods to skid out yet, but that's work for another day!

SR

Latest posts

Back