Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LondonNeil

LondonNeil

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Not sure what spikes are on it... Only seen this piccieea7000_1.jpg

I'll hold off getting a spare chain (I find I can touch up a chain with the 2 in 1 very quickly anyway), see how I go with the 18, and decide if longer would be handy. I don't recall having buried my 20" bar so the 18 will probably be fine. However, I still haven't got a mantle over either of my fireplaces. When I had a mature Oak felled from the garden about 5 years ago now I kept 3 chunks of the trunk about 4' long. I had no firm plans at the time but when the stoves went in I thought of milling a chunky 4-6" thick board to use as a mantle. I've not had the saw to do it..... Until now. Tree was a turkey/european Oak though which is much more prone to rot..... Time to free hand slice open one of the trunk chunks to see if they are still viable. This could be what triggers a 25" rollamatic E, a set of bar adapters and an 84 dl, 3/8* 0.063 full chisel rs chain.

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
. AS Supporting Member.
I thought the 18 a little short to take advantage of the 7900’s power but it’s probably best for shipping. Pick up a 24-28 and you’ll be pretty versatile.
Dolmar sold to makita in Canada (not sure about the rest of the world) and the 7910 is not available here. Just the 73cc version.
Makita has owned dolmar for a loooong time, just changed the name recently.
We still have them available here as a 7900.
https://www.makitatools.com/ope/ope-shop/2stroke-professional
Looks like it stinks to be Canadian in this instance, at least you guys have friends here in the states:cheers:, also good your close to the border :cool:.
https://www.makita.ca/index2.php?event=toollist&categoryid=7&subcategoryid=40

Jeffkrib

Jeffkrib

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
Not sure what spikes are on it... Only seen this piccieView attachment 656507

I'll hold off getting a spare chain (I find I can touch up a chain with the 2 in 1 very quickly anyway), see how I go with the 18, and decide if longer would be handy. I don't recall having buried my 20" bar so the 18 will probably be fine. However, I still haven't got a mantle over either of my fireplaces. When I had a mature Oak felled from the garden about 5 years ago now I kept 3 chunks of the trunk about 4' long. I had no firm plans at the time but when the stoves went in I thought of milling a chunky 4-6" thick board to use as a mantle. I've not had the saw to do it..... Until now. Tree was a turkey/european Oak though which is much more prone to rot..... Time to free hand slice open one of the trunk chunks to see if they are still viable. This could be what triggers a 25" rollamatic E, a set of bar adapters and an 84 dl, 3/8* 0.063 full chisel rs chain.
Well done Neil, welcome to the club of owning a beastie saw in suburbia. like me your neighbors will now really appreciate you taking a sickie to do your big cuts.

LondonNeil

LondonNeil

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
He he! I had new neighbours move into the house behind over the winter and hadn't run either saw in months..... My fiancee tells me there were lots of strange looks when I ran a few tank fulls through the other week. They will get used to it though. The other house behind is empty and for sale. Whenever we notice the agents showing it my fiancee shouts, 'Quick! Get your chainsaw out!'

MustangMike
A 7900/7910/461 are all fine saws, but if I were only running a 18" bar, my saw would not be that heavy.

Very often a smaller saw will run right with them with a smaller bar.

I run 20" bars on my 60 + 70 cc saws, longer bars on the larger saws, and smaller bars on the smaller saws. The 28" light bar on my hybrid is very handy in a lot of situations, especially for felling when the tree gets a little wider at the bottom.

LondonNeil

LondonNeil

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Don't get me a wrong, I'm not advocating a heavy saw. I ordered the Makita over the 261 as it is more adaptable, a really good deal, and used sparingly so weight less important to me.

It's 6.6kg. thats 14.4lbs My only comparison is the 038 which is 15lbs I notice the weight of that, boy yes, but I can run 2-3 tanks through it blocking up uglies easily enough. I'm working in a comfortable environment though, which helps a great deal.

JustJeff

JustJeff

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Got a call from my wife’s cousin “I got another load of wood for ya”. That usually means it’s already bucked up and in a pile. Plus he has two elm for me to take down. My son and I ran the splitter for an hour and a half tonight to clear the way. I still have about a cord of pine to split up for campfire wood but the hardwood spot is bare.

MustangMike
It was Milling Day, at least for a few hours in the afternoon. Ended up with some nice Red Oak boards, but the darn things are so heavy I had to roll them on a log to get them into the trailer (was going it alone today).

Can't complain, when I cut the first side piece off, someone driving by stopped and bought it from me!

Attachments

• IMG_20180607_151311417.jpg
    IMG_20180607_151311417.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20180607_163849374.jpg
    IMG_20180607_163849374.jpg
    8.9 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20180607_163858453_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180607_163858453_HDR.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20180607_153625943_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180607_153625943_HDR.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 21
MustangMike
It's 6.6kg. thats 14.4lbs

I think in real life you will find the 044/440 is often 14 lbs or less, the 7900/7910 is about 16.6, and the 460/461 about 14.75. I checked out one of the HD used saws that can be converted to a 7910, but it was no light weight, I passed.

KiwiBro

KiwiBro

Mill 'em, nails be damned.
I think in real life you will find the 044/440 is often 14 lbs or less, the 7900/7910 is about 16.6, and the 460/461 about 14.75. I checked out one of the HD used saws that can be converted to a 7910, but it was no light weight, I passed.
Did I miss the link to the UK retailer selling a 461 for £550?

Cowboy254

Cowboy254

Compulsive scrounger
. AS Supporting Member.
It was Milling Day, at least for a few hours in the afternoon. Ended up with some nice Red Oak boards, but the darn things are so heavy I had to roll them on a log to get them into the trailer (was going it alone today).

Can't complain, when I cut the first side piece off, someone driving by stopped and bought it from me!

Beautiful work, Mike!

LondonNeil

LondonNeil

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Mike I guess by real world weight you mean with bar and chain? I agree it is difficult to compare without including and I know the Makita weight I have is power head only, the 038 weight I found may include a bar.

Anyway, yep they are heavy. I use the 180 for 90% of my saw work. The big saw comes out for noodling unsplitables and bucking the occasional larger round that I've collected that is still too long for my small stoves (12" or less is the aim). I tend to make a pile of half a dozen pallets as a temporary work table, lift rounds to that and cut. Very occasionally a big round is easier to cut down on the ground. I'm not bucking or limbing out in the field like you guys. So weight is less important. If I were starting again, knowing now what wood I get.... I'd likely have just one saw and it would be a 241 or 261 sized machine for everything.

Cowboy254

Cowboy254

Compulsive scrounger
. AS Supporting Member.
i was coming home from produce auction yesterday and passed a yard sale. i spied a chainsaw and turned around.:rolleyes: the guy wanted to much for a 028 super. looked around and found some new Stihl screnches and safety glasses. heres my haul for $4.
View attachment 656684

What are you going to do with them all? Take up juggling?