Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me I always love you pics because is so different to where I live.
Regarding the insulators, take another look are you sure it’s not a pair of old school ceramic ear muffs from the 70s;)
Lol! Yeah don’t think they would work to great for ear muffs:laugh:.

Hot and dry here, few fires around and stage 1 fire restrictions on so wanted to scrounge some high elevation lodge pole pine before they close the woods to firewood cuttingView attachment 668406Nice and cool early in the morning, about 45* at 6 am here.View attachment 668405Not a huge load but just right for me and the ole ford.View attachment 668407Found this isulator for the old phone line after I cut the block, thankfully I missed it with the saw:omg:. This stuff is very dense, heavier than some of the red fir in this areaView attachment 668404
Nice truck! I love those square bodies

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Been adding to my pile. I try to cut and bring home at least 1 wagon load per weekend. I'm away all week so hard to get ahead. Also spent 2 hours and cut a bunch into 32" long rounds to get ready to split. I have lots of 16" stuff split to sell but have only a cord or two of 32" for my own OWB. I'm leaving the big stuff standing because I have no time to mill it anyway. My Woodlands Mills has been sitting there laughing at me all summer.
20180811_182034.jpg 20180811_131215.jpg 20180811_131143.jpg 20180811_131143.jpg

Hot and dry here, few fires around and stage 1 fire restrictions on so wanted to scrounge some high elevation lodge pole pine before they close the woods to firewood cuttingView attachment 668406Nice and cool early in the morning, about 45* at 6 am here.View attachment 668405Not a huge load but just right for me and the ole ford.View attachment 668407Found this isulator for the old phone line after I cut the block, thankfully I missed it with the saw:omg:. This stuff is very dense, heavier than some of the red fir in this areaView attachment 668404

I'm getting lazy in my old age and would have backed the tailgate up to the mountain and rolled that wood into the bed. I'm also guessing it's not as heavy as the green Oak I've been loading in my truck lately and it's easier to chuck it in the bed?

I'm getting lazy in my old age and would have backed the tailgate up to the mountain and rolled that wood into the bed. I'm also guessing it's not as heavy as the green Oak I've been loading in my truck lately and it's easier to chuck it in the bed?
That’s a good idea and I have done that before especially when they are too big to pick up, lol.7613715C-C220-410B-BB65-6A2DE470F367.jpeg65A47E8A-02B8-4A97-8289-034E3A93D5B4.jpeg But these small ones are actually easier to pickup and gently set them in the bed than try to roll, that and I’m trying not to scratch or dent my tailgate:rolleyes:. The woes of having a pickup that’s too nice to haul wood in...

That’s a good idea and I have done that before especially when they are too big to pick up, lol.View attachment 668676View attachment 668675 But these small ones are actually easier to pickup and gently set them in the bed than try to roll, that and I’m trying not to scratch or dent my tailgate:rolleyes:. The woes of having a pickup that’s too nice to haul wood in...

I miss Idaho.My father brother and I flew to Idaho Falls in 95? Dad had bizzness in western WY. and Lewiston. Spent a day in WY. and back to the motel in Pocatella. Then we drove to twin falls and spent the night on our way to Riggins where we got a motel for 3 days. Dad went on to work @ Lewiston next morning and my brother and I went fishing on the Salmon river w a guide service, we put in @ Whitebird and went north. I think it was about March/April. My brother caught a 5' Sturgeon, the river was high and the Steelhead were not there. The next day dad returned and we fished again, I caught a 7+ Sturgeon. I did not want to go home after 5 days in ID. and told my brother to fly back home to N.C. and sell all my possessions, mail me a check, and tell my girlfriend to come on up to ID. if she wanted to. Ofcourse I had to go back home but I'll never forget the scenery and beauty of the state or the wildlife we saw on our trip, 5 Moose,hundreds or more of Elk and Mule deer. The residents were very friendly. Almost everywhere we stopped to eat or get gas etc. people noticed our southern drawl and asked where we were from, then wanted to know about life in N.C.; 4 times as we stopped for breakfast or diner, strangers joined us and insisted to pay our tabs as they sat w us and we talked about Idaho and N.C. over the meals. It reminded me how my town was when I was a kid. I hope to go back to Idaho/Wy./MT. etc and stay one day.

Been adding to my pile. I try to cut and bring home at least 1 wagon load per weekend. I'm away all week so hard to get ahead. Also spent 2 hours and cut a bunch into 32" long rounds to get ready to split. I have lots of 16" stuff split to sell but have only a cord or two of 32" for my own OWB. I'm leaving the big stuff standing because I have no time to mill it anyway. My Woodlands Mills has been sitting there laughing at me all summer.
View attachment 668672 View attachment 668673 View attachment 668674 View attachment 668674
When out in the forest do you load those logs by hand into the bunk?

That’s a good idea and I have done that before especially when they are too big to pick up, lol.View attachment 668676View attachment 668675 But these small ones are actually easier to pickup and gently set them in the bed than try to roll, that and I’m trying not to scratch or dent my tailgate:rolleyes:. The woes of having a pickup that’s too nice to haul wood in...
Great pictures Nate.
I been working on a landscaping job the last couple weeks, they have these big black rocks that remind me of those rounds, I call them moon rocks because I can lift one right up thats about 2-3' across lol.
How you liking the 2511 now.

View attachment 668625 View attachment 668627 Did some cutting at the farm the builders bought. Running a tank threw the 310 will make you realise a light 50cc saw is the way to go even in small wood.View attachment 668628 Time to let the 7910 and @bear1998 ported 395 eat. Not much I won't take a shot at with the del saw but I found one:lol:.
You just have to have the right sub 50cc saw, the makita 4300 does a great job as does the ms241 and then the ms201/200.
@farmer steve wanted to know if your measuring those rounds :innocent: :lol:.

I miss Idaho.My father brother and I flew to Idaho Falls in 95? Dad had bizzness in western WY. and Lewiston. Spent a day in WY. and back to the motel in Pocatella. Then we drove to twin falls and spent the night on our way to Riggins where we got a motel for 3 days. Dad went on to work @ Lewiston next morning and my brother and I went fishing on the Salmon river w a guide service, we put in @ Whitebird and went north. I think it was about March/April. My brother caught a 5' Sturgeon, the river was high and the Steelhead were not there. The next day dad returned and we fished again, I caught a 7+ Sturgeon. I did not want to go home after 5 days in ID. and told my brother to fly back home to N.C. and sell all my possessions, mail me a check, and tell my girlfriend to come on up to ID. if she wanted to. Ofcourse I had to go back home but I'll never forget the scenery and beauty of the state or the wildlife we saw on our trip, 5 Moose,hundreds or more of Elk and Mule deer. The residents were very friendly. Almost everywhere we stopped to eat or get gas etc. people noticed our southern drawl and asked where we were from, then wanted to know about life in N.C.; 4 times as we stopped for breakfast or diner, strangers joined us and insisted to pay our tabs as they sat w us and we talked about Idaho and N.C. over the meals. It reminded me how my town was when I was a kid. I hope to go back to Idaho/Wy./MT. etc and stay one day.
Wow that’s pretty cool. I grew up 11 miles north of Kamiah, been to Lewiston and Riggins a lot. Live in Cascade now, nice area but getting over ran with people now. I would like to see Wy. some time, Mt. is nice too.

Great pictures Nate.
I been working on a landscaping job the last couple weeks, they have these big black rocks that remind me of those rounds, I call them moon rocks because I can lift one right up thats about 2-3' across lol.
How you liking the 2511 now.
Thanks Brett. Lol yeah I’m sure you can;).
Haven’t had the chance to run it for awhile but last time I did I liked it a lot. Need screen to cover my muffler mod before I run it more, pretty hot and dry now. Still wood like to try a smaller chain. Hotsaws101 has a good vid out now on one. What did you think of the 462?

Well my birthday is coming up next month so was just dreaming what I might need. I looked up HB axes and they have really gotten expensive so nope.

Looking at a new bar or bars for my small Husky patterned saws and those prices sure have gone up. Pro-Lite bars are now the same price that PowerMatch bars were two years ago.....Looks like Forester will be on my list LOL. Unforunately Trilink does not have as many choices in Ko95 pattern as they do in A041 pattern.

Wow that’s pretty cool. I grew up 11 miles north of Kamiah, been to Lewiston and Riggins a lot. Live in Cascade now, nice area but getting over ran with people now. I would like to see Wy. some time, Mt. is nice too.

I forgot to mention my brother and I walked to a bar a block away from the motel in Riggins 2 nights in a row and we could not buy a beer, they were all free or bought by the locals there. Ofcourse we had to buy a few rounds for the locals too as we talked,shot pool and danced w a tall, muscular cowgirl/Indian? who spun me around like I was the lady! and several other ladies. The bartender had moved there from Jacksonville N.C. 10 or more years before and recognized our speak as soon as we bellied up to the bar. I think her name was Cat, after we shut down the bar we went to her house for more fun and games. I tried to get her to go back to the motel and hop in the hot tub w me, but it was late and she apparently had a reputation to uphold in the town of about 400? .......I miss Idaho :heart:

Latest posts

Back