Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In regards to PI, I have now cut in PI areas (the children's camp) several dozen times. No breakout yet but I am fanatical when it comes to cleaning up. I immediately shower with hot water and soap upon completion of cutting and wash all of my clothes in hot water as well. I am sure I will get it at some point but being careful helps. I also identify future trees that need cutting and sever the vines at the stump so the PI plant can die/dry/start to decompose before I get back to cutting down the tree. Then use the pickaroon to pull the vine off the logs before I cut.

I normally am not the one handling the rounds at the children's camp but have not heard of anybody having issues after handling the wood I have stripped of PI.

So does Bear have poison ivy growing up his tree or not?

The third picture sure looked like it to me. The resolution of the picture wasn't too good, but I would be very surprised to find that it was not the dreaded vine.

Note: you guys that are very allergic? Start taking some pills called Rhus Tox (link). Basically, they are a sugar pill with a diluted dose of poison ivy antigen (the stuff that makes the rash). By eating it on a daily basis, most folks discover that the rashes they get are not as severe, and they eventually become immune to the poison ivy. The pills are not marketed as a cure for poison ivy; rather they talk about arthritis relief. I suspect that there may be some sort of regulation that prevents them from claiming that it works for immune problems. Walgreens has a similar product, too.

During the many years that I have been doing this, I have gotten several guys that worked for me so that they were either immune or at least not bothered as much by the stuff. Myself, I have always been immune, so the pills were never a benefit to me. Imagine it! Walking through the woods, chopping up all the wood & underbrush with absolutely no fear of getting a rash from poison ivy. Yep. That's me. Bees 'n other bug bites don't bother me either, so I am completely unconcerned by any allergies. I seem to have been born for this kind of work.

They come in several concentrations. Start on the weak ones (6x), and work your way up to the 30x. If anyone finds that they actually help with their arthritis, let me know.

From the ABC27 web site

Here is today's heat warning for the following PA counties
  • Adams
  • Cumberland
  • Dauphin
  • Franklin
  • Lancaster
  • Lebanon
  • Perry
  • York

I'm sure that is quite uncomfortable for the folks in Pa. Around here, that kind of heat index doesn't hardly get mentioned. Now if it's actually 103° ? We would have a heat index more like 115° and the news-casters will then act like you will probably die if you step outside.

Nope. I should I'd hate for the people I cut with to watch me crook some day.

If you study up a bit and do some research, a crafty fellow with a bee allergy and poor pocket can get a small bottle of epinephrine and a diabetic syringe for about $15. Then you have about 3 to 10 doses of the right medicine for a tiny fraction of the cost. Naturally, your doctor probably won't help you.

Those epipens are pure piracy; sanctioned by our loving government that sells the rights of ownership to a company that buys them off for the right to screw the public. Many of the outrageous pharmaceutical prices we pay are because of government sanctioned price protections on products that have been on the market for over 50 years.

I put on Bull Frog 100% sun block Zinc Oxide the grey pasty stuff. Barrier to block skin and hard to wash off and I have rubber gloves to throw away....
I use a machete to strip from the bark..... wash machete when you get home or next time it will get you .....View attachment 671477
Was looking for pics when it turns red

With so many vines out in the woods here I strip all of them so I dont trip with a running saw
Vine on the right is not PI

Virginia creeper turns a very similar shade of red, but the leaflets are 5, palmately compound. Very easy to distinguish from poison ivy.

5598-004-08808ACE.jpg

Fall colors? Got you covered:

Poison oak, eastern.
topu1220164.jpg

Poison ivy:
9-poison-ivy.jpg

A dirty rotten variable plant, you cannot count on the fall color for identification.
images

68_fall_foliage_leaves.jpg

This one's kind of pretty:
poison-ivy-crazy-leaf.jpg

virginia-creeper10oct04.jpg

From the ABC27 web site

Here is today's heat warning for the following PA counties
  • Adams
  • Cumberland
  • Dauphin
  • Franklin
  • Lancaster
  • Lebanon
  • Perry
  • York
Not to bad out right now. Stopped at the new oak scrounge and helped drag a little brush. I'll be slinging saws and the fiskars tomorrow if the rain holds off. May not find it as comfortable then.

Good point.

They were founded in 1649, and have annual sales of approximately $1 billion (US).

Could be a fly-by-night organization.

I like my Fiskars axes and splitters. No tool does everything for everybody though.

Philbert

Yeah, and they are operating at an annual profit of about 7.8% on that income, with a positive cash flow of 83.8 million euros (2016). That'll pay for an awful lot of warranty replacements.
Gross sales in dollars, today's conversion rate=$1,386,833,562.00
BTW: they are also making those Gerber knives that folks like so well. Quite frankly, I am a bit disappointed. I like my Leatherman (made in USA!) much better than Gerber's product, yet I have always liked everything Fiskars.

Youse guys will like this! I got some guys willing to pay me to haul them some extra wood. Here is my pile of oak across the street. It's just waste wood to me.

View attachment 671531

In fact, all that wood came from just one tree. We didn't even keep the big pieces, either.
U suck !!!!

QTLA ??

My urban dictionary is of no use here. :(

Quote To Laugh At (or About) maybe? I have often wondered this myself but couldn't find anything on the internet.

My understanding is that QTLA means "quoted to like again" but I could be wrong as well.

Youse guys will like this! I got some guys willing to pay me to haul them some extra wood. Here is my pile of oak across the street. It's just waste wood to me.

View attachment 671531

In fact, all that wood came from just one tree. We didn't even keep the big pieces, either.
Holy moley

View attachment 671398

Whoop Whoop! or rather barp barp, burble burble, barp barp!

Not run it yet, won't get chance until the weekend....may not even then! visually it looks great though. 2015 according to the plate. virtually new chain, semi chisel (wtf! semi chisel on a 71cc pro saw?!) I'll need a spare or 2 anyway. bar has a little use but nothing much judging by the paint. rails have had a file to debur but groove looks parallel and deep so loads and loads of life there. I did notice Oregon didn't make it straight :confused: fairly sure since the curve is gentle and uniform it isn't damage. it is slight and shouldn't be a problem. Its also noticeably heavier than the same length (20") stihl. Nose sprocket feels like its had a thick grease applied, turns smoothly but with that 'running in treacle' feel.
So long a the saw run as good as it looks I'm very very happy!
nice saw Neil, can't go wrong with a 365 any day, made to last. I know of 1 with a lot of hours with the most uncaring individual that has ever ran a saw.

Latest posts

Back