Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about this scrounge, was driving by with my 1997 fsuper duty dump truck and a tree service was cutting up a nice shagbark. He said I could have it, and dropped it right in my truck with a skid loader. Right place, right time.

Heck of a scrounge right there! I saw a small one when I was out today that the top fell out of. It's probably just 8" - 10" diameter at the base, but it'll burn all the same.

Scrounged today and Thanksgiving morning. I think I picked up Sugar Maple. Looks like it anyway from the the bark. A guy came over with a chainsaw and tried to noodle some large oak rounds. Guess he didn't want the maple. Some dude walked over from across the street and kicked us out. Said he hunts in the woods in the back of the scrounge spot and all the noise would spook them. Oh well, I'll just go back tomorrow morning. Almost got into a fight with him. I have a temper and he thought he was a bad little dude. Totally ruined my scrounge morning.

Scrounged today and Thanksgiving morning. I think I picked up Sugar Maple. Looks like it anyway from the the bark. A guy came over with a chainsaw and tried to noodle some large oak rounds. Guess he didn't want the maple. Some dude walked over from across the street and kicked us out. Said he hunts in the woods in the back of the scrounge spot and all the noise would spook them. Oh well, I'll just go back tomorrow morning. Almost got into a fight with him. I have a temper and he thought he was a bad little dude. Totally ruined my scrounge morning.

You ask him if he owned the land or leased it ?
Shoulda told him you were tryin to spook the deer out to him .

Notice how them tree service guys don't know how to cut wood at 16" or something that divides into something you like to cut so you can stack LOL

We know how to cut to 16" but it takes more time and fuel. Get it on the truck and go. Let the homeowner worry about it. It is free after all.

SS, honda atv, fiskars spltter......you almost got a good thing going for ya, get rid of that german junk and get yourself a 372xp.......you'll never look back!

I've been tossing around the idea of getting a bigger cc saw, and putting a 16" bar on the MS271. Time will tell. I can usually talk myself into buying new toys that I don't need pretty easily. :chainsaw:

Notice how them tree service guys don't know how to cut wood at 16" or something that divides into something you like to cut so you can stack LOL

Actually, these guys did pretty good, about 8 ft sections for the most part. I really didn't care how long they were. Free wood, loaded, and didnt smash my wood sides. Just went in right over the top. I even had the trailer on there.

2014-09-29 17.41.05.jpg

You ever get your saw pinched yet? Thats the exact moment our relize life is easier with 2 or more saws. My daughters and wife tease me about my "collection" but ribht now its 76* inside and 14* outside.
Oh yeah! It's definitely on the short list. Pinched saws really grind my gears. I have a spare 029 on loan from my Pop's right now, so it's not really urgent yet. I'll get my own spare soon.

Actually, these guys did pretty good, about 8 ft sections for the most part. I really didn't care how long they were. Free wood, loaded, and didnt smash my wood sides. Just went in right over the top. I even had the trailer on there.

View attachment 382725
free is always the right length.. don't matter if there shorties or crotch'es, to long means "SAW TIME" ..... LOL

Deer actually are somewhat curious will come to investigate a strange sound. They will lurk in thick stuff until satisfied and then melt away. Just got to be on their bug out trail when it happens. Got my fair share that way a few times now. I plow snow commercially I have had deer standing less than 15 yards away watching me run a snowblower - or couple weekends back Hen turkeys less than 10 feet away while I shoveled a walk on a commercial account- first time that ever happened. Go Figure

heck there's firewood sellers down here that can't cut uniform. i agitate the firewood sellers at the hay /firewood auction i go to by walking around with my 16" measuring stick and checking loads. some don't have a clue how long to cut. just because they burn 20" stuff they think that's the norm.:dizzy:

Latest posts

Back