Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The refill of this year's bay is coming along. At the length I cut my wood I get 9 rows stacked into the bay that is 2.5 x 3.5m and to 2.3m high which comes to 20 odd cubes or 5 and a bit cord. I have 6 and a half rows stacked so I'm 3/4 of the way there. This is for winter 2021.

View attachment 677949

I look at that and think, 'When you going to do the splitting?' then i remember I'm the only one here with a small stove. Hurumph! nice stick btw, and very nice shed.

Scrounged up half a Tucson full of zogger wood in 3-4 foot lengths. The power line tree trimmers went through the area around work earlier this summer and left quite a few pieces over 3" dia. Mostly Locust with a piece or 2 of Mulberry. The Poulan 2000 made quick work of it once I got it tuned.

I look at that and think, 'When you going to do the splitting?' then i remember I'm the only one here with a small stove. Hurumph! nice stick btw, and very nice shed.

Too big is defined as "Doesn't fit in the heater", so by that definition, splitting is done. 12 inch diameter is the limit and I can get two rounds that size in side by side. The important thing is getting the air flow around the logs right and you need to have enough heat in there already, you don't want to start with big stuff of course. As you can see in the pic though, I put smaller rounds up high in the rows so there's always some smaller material to get things going.

Scrounged up half a Tucson full of zogger wood in 3-4 foot lengths. The power line tree trimmers went through the area around work earlier this summer and left quite a few pieces over 3" dia. Mostly Locust with a piece or 2 of Mulberry. The Poulan 2000 made quick work of it once I got it tuned.

:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

Extreme winds came up tonight. We were driving into town and saw a tree hit the line. Huge blue ball and sparks everywhere. That one only caused the power at home to flicker (wife was on the phone with my son) but a few minutes later the power was out for good.
Oh snap, pun intended :surprised3:.
Glad you're alright, that stuff aint nothing to play with.

Going to be some trees down, no doubt. We had to swerve around 3 spruce trees on the way to town.

I took all of the geriatric trees off my land a couple years ago so knock on wood we have done pretty well.
Hopefully it stays that way.
My kiddo(8yr old daughter) asked me today, why do we have to cut down all these dead branches; well better to get it all done now rather than every little storm that blows through, theres plenty enough random branches that come down and we have the time now :yes:.
When trees come down in a storm my wife calls it natural pruning, same with the forest fires. You prune it, or nature will, and sometimes nature will even when you already have.
Oh forgot to say, I swerve for spruce too, but stop for oak and locust :laugh:.

Extreme winds came up tonight. We were driving into town and saw a tree hit the line. Huge blue ball and sparks everywhere. That one only caused the power at home to flicker (wife was on the phone with my son) but a few minutes later the power was out for good.
We had lightning strike a power pole the other night and knock the power out for about an hour. Not much wind but it sure put on a light show.

Latest posts

Back