Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
79 or 84cc kit definitely in my future. This saw is great but I need a tad bit more power. Got a small kine scrounge today (that's my Hawaii accent). Picked up maple (hoping it's sugar maple), some oak, and pine. Didn't feel like taking the pine but there's rounds all over the place. Seems no one wants to take it so I'd rather it sit in my yard vs rotting away in the woods. Saw cut through a big oak log easily. Spark plug is getting a tad more dark, around cocoa brown color with a touch of blackish coloring. Could lean it out some but I like the leeway of running it a tad rich. Made some noodles in the woods too. This saw loves noodling.

A church right down the street from me had a tree cut down in their parking lot. The remains have been lying on the ground for about a week. I'm going to ask them if I can cut it up tomorrow or Sunday. They'll probably say no though for liability reasons. Also going to ask a homeowner about 5 houses down about a stack of wood sitting in their side yard. It's been sitting there in rounds since the summer. They also have really large rounds sitting in the same disheveled manner that the tree service left it. Weeds are growing all over it. Jeez, people should have a little more respect for free heating fuel.

You are gonna like that pine once it is split and stacked and well dried. Throws heat great! Doesn't last long, but man, to get back up to speed in the morning it's great. And then I use the crotches and knots as just regular firewood, they burn longer, works just as good as anything else I have (well, hickory heartwood is amazing...). And easy to scrounge!

Yup, only thing this engine would fit into is something on rails. It was paired with a generator and installed as a skid. It is 600 rpm 4-cycle diesel and has a 13.5" cylinder bore and 16.5" stroke. The turbocharger is 18" diameter. Any pictures I get will be just parts of the engine and not the whole thing. Its in a room and I couldnt even get half of it in one picture. The interesting thing is this starts and runs smoother than most normal automotive engines.

The biggest I ever had anything to do with was a detroit diesel 12 banger on a small fishing boat I worked on. I thought that was pretty big...Compared to yours though, looks like a moped engine.

Every time someone mentions a big diesel generator this story comes to mind.

A friend worked at one of the local mines and they had several generators like the one @Marshy posted. They would always laugh because when you would fire them up, oodles of bats that were roosting in the exhaust pipe would come barreling out.

One time they went to turn over the engine and WHOOMP! It stopped suddenly. Tried it again and again. Nothing. Engine was apparently stuck.

Pulled a head off and one of the cylinders was completely full of mashed bat. Apparently the one cylinder that had an open exhaust valve was deemed a very hospitable roosting spot and bats literally filled the entire cylinder.

Needless to say, screens were added to all exhaust pipes after this.

Every time someone mentions a big diesel generator this story comes to mind.

A friend worked at one of the local mines and they had several generators like the one @Marshy posted. They would always laugh because when you would fire them up, oodles of bats that were roosting in the exhaust pipe would come barreling out.

One time they went to turn over the engine and WHOOMP! It stopped suddenly. Tried it again and again. Nothing. Engine was apparently stuck.

Pulled a head off and one of the cylinders was completely full of mashed bat. Apparently the one cylinder that had an open exhaust valve was deemed a very hospitable roosting spot and bats literally filled the entire cylinder.

Needless to say, screens were added to all exhaust pipes after this.
Lol I'd hate to be the guy cleaning that mess. Not going to happen on this one, it has a 18" turbocharger. :D

I went scrounging to an auction sale today. Invested $150 in 1 ton of rice coal and an Alaskan stove for it. 50 bags hand bombed onto my truck and trailer. I just wanted the coal to throw into my OWB once in awhile but they sold the burner with it.
I'll get better pictures of the burner unit tomorrow. I was just gonna scrap steel it but apparently they have a bit of value yet.
IMG_00001793.jpg IMG_00001789.jpg IMG_00001790.jpg IMG_00001791.jpg

Oh yeah! The previous owners of this house that we bought in May, left behind a very old indoor wood burner. I was going to scrap it, but I had seen a couple on Craigslist that folks had listed at $250 that didn't seem to be selling. I tossed mine up there for $100 and had people blowing up my phone to come get it. The guy that ended up getting here first drove two hours to pick that thing up. Made me wish that I had asked at least $150 after that, but my initial thought was to post it as scrap and just hope someone would come take it off my hands. Easiest $100 I've ever made. I hid it away in a drawer for either my second saw fund, or my mower fund, since I'll be needing a new mower in the spring.

You are gonna like that pine once it is split and stacked and well dried. Throws heat great! Doesn't last long, but man, to get back up to speed in the morning it's great. And then I use the crotches and knots as just regular firewood, they burn longer, works just as good as anything else I have (well, hickory heartwood is amazing...). And easy to scrounge!

Good deal. I keep questioning whether I should pick it up or leave it. Figured at the very least I could use it for the cool nights and mix it in with the hardwoods to get things going on the cold nights.

Finally finished cutting up the oak at the in-laws and bucked most of the poplar logs. The Makita made me forget about taking pictures, I love running that thing. All I need now is a Poulan 655.

I agree Zog.

A big quarter on a bed of coals gets going quick.

And if it's a piece that was close to the base and loaded with pitch.....:blob2:

Hey Reid:
grab that pine, dry it , split and stack it. Have to admit, lot of my pine is not dry but has slipped the bark.
When I forget the stove and feel the chill, I rake the ashes, find a few coals. a handful of noodles and couple pine splits.
Poof, I got a fire going again. Then pile on the hardwood.
Sometimes I just burn pine, the heat feels so good on these old bones, Have to monitor the stack temp, don't want to overfire.
At times, I use the pine to dry the hardwood, the borderline hardwood ( not quite ready to burn).
Don't be in a rush to install a BB on the 6421 you'll need 64cc more than 79cc. I would venture a guess that I use my Husky 455 and the Makita 6401 more than the Dolmar 7900. If you can score another HD Makita, then go for it.
The OEM 7900 P&C is the perfered route, you know what your getting, AM kits are a crap shoot,
Hey Zogger:
I like your wood wagon, has all the requirements, dent in the door, rusted out wheelwells, cant tell if the tail gate is bent. The only thing missing is the Duct tape and cardboard on the rear window.
Gotta get out of here before I get in more trouble.

CUL

Hey Reid:
grab that pine, dry it , split and stack it. Have to admit, lot of my pine is not dry but has slipped the bark.
When I forget the stove and feel the chill, I rake the ashes, find a few coals. a handful of noodles and couple pine splits.
Poof, I got a fire going again. Then pile on the hardwood.
Sometimes I just burn pine, the heat feels so good on these old bones, Have to monitor the stack temp, don't want to overfire.
At times, I use the pine to dry the hardwood, the borderline hardwood ( not quite ready to burn).
Don't be in a rush to install a BB on the 6421 you'll need 64cc more than 79cc. I would venture a guess that I use my Husky 455 and the Makita 6401 more than the Dolmar 7900. If you can score another HD Makita, then go for it.
The OEM 7900 P&C is the perfered route, you know what your getting, AM kits are a crap shoot,
Hey Zogger:
I like your wood wagon, has all the requirements, dent in the door, rusted out wheelwells, cant tell if the tail gate is bent. The only thing missing is the Duct tape and cardboard on the rear window.
Gotta get out of here before I get in more trouble.

CUL

Tailgate and all the glass is good! I even had a new/used windshield put in. Got the lights working, and three gauges work. I had one door window motor working, then it quit, but the vent windows work.

The zogger bogger MkII 3/4 ton, project for next year, is the one with cardboard for windows..it gots lots mo dents, too, but dang, twice the suspension of the MkI. I bought it for the axles and wheels, but got it running, so I'll finish it up "good enough" to be a runner/street legal. They both have the 6.2 detroits in them, the half ton is auto, 3/4 got a 4 speed manual.

Latest posts

Back