Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BBQ's seem to be a big thing down south I guess.

Yup bbq's here are kind of events. Like family get togethers, holidays and block parties. I am giving my age away for those who remember, but when I was a kid politicans would have a bbq and host kind of a rally during their election campaigns. None of these are as common as they use to be.
The sad part is that it is mostly done with charcoal or gas now. Dhec regs will not allow new bbq joints to cook with wood and most people who cook at home don't want to go through the trouble or work of using real wood.
When people get a taste of real pit cooked bbq done over hard wood coals they understand why we go through the trouble. We have a saying good bbq starts with a chainsaw. There is no substitute for the real wood coals, direct heat and time.
We had a neighbor come over and eat. He told use his son-n-law thought he cooked the best q ever. He took pictures and measurements of the pit and burn barrel and watched what we did. He went and told his son-n-law he didn't know what he was doing. This was how you do the real deal. lol

I don't know about everyone else, but this has been a fairly "open" winter around here so far. Less than a foot of snow in the woods right now and the last few storms have been more wet than white. Just enough snow to keep the wood clean when hauling out logs, and easy to get around in the woods. Perfect conditions for scrounging.

Scott's BBQ in Hemmingway, SC cooks as close to the bbq we cook as any restaurant I have tried. Our techniques vary slightly, but the way the cooking is done is the same.

I found a short film that shows them cooking and the work that goes into it and thought y'all might enjoy. http://southdocs.org/cutchopcook-is-sizzling/

This is how I was taught to cook bbq and how it was done until at most restaurants up to 20 years or so ago.

I don't know about everyone else, but this has been a fairly "open" winter around here so far. Less than a foot of snow in the woods right now and the last few storms have been more wet than white. Just enough snow to keep the wood clean when hauling out logs, and easy to get around in the woods. Perfect conditions for scrounging.

The weather has been fluctuating here. We have had lows in the 20s and highs near 70 in the last few weeks. It's been a real crap shoot. We had snow Nov, 1. which was some kind of record for earliest ever. I think after the start of the new year it will get cool and stay cool. That's the way I like it.

No bbq's up here unfortunately. We can put on a pretty good wild game feed or fish fry though.

There are, just not as prevelant as down south.

I've heard great things about this place in Walker.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Piggy-BBQ/169248846457835

Also, there are a few guys running around with bbq trucks that are supposed to be really good.

Aaaaaand, don't forget about the Lutefisk feeds up here. :D:dizzy:

Well, I have a possible scrounge score. How much of a score remains to be seen. Found a guy on CL that has up to ten oak trees he wants to be rid of. All standing I believe. Asked him if there's anything near the trees that could be damaged. Told me there's a house nearby. Depending on how close the house is, I may just totally pass on this. I don't really know if I want live oak which will take years to cure and not that comfortable felling right now. Man it sucks being a newb.

Back