Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like burning cookies in the shoulder season, especially the fall. They are thin and heat up quickly, but the coals are very small and cease to put out substantial heat quickly, so when you stop putting cookies in the stove stops putting out much heat.
That being said I had a small fire this morning because it was pretty mild out this morning and it warmed up nicely today. Everything was great until I let the house to chase down a saw for another member, came home and it was 74/5 in the house, the girls decided to make bread and some desserts :dizzy:.
Oh well, it could have been worse, like your tropical paradise :havingarest::lol: .
I'd be running around in my underwear if the house was 74/5*. 68 is perfect 70 is getting a bit warm.

Fire pits . . . In most parts of the world, very cool. We happen to live in "high desert" up here, 6,000--8500' above sea level in my community. The driest country you can imagine, and it's all pine forest.

Some years back, a friend up the road wanted help one day to burn off a bunch of slash that a previous owner of his property had pushed into a mining pit. I went up there one day, midwinter, and helped burn this pile of crap. There was knee-deep snow on the ground, hard to walk through. We had to fight to get that $hit ignited and keep it burning. We got a bunch of it burned and called it quits about 4 pm. Then shoveled a ton of snow on it--easy to do as there was plenty available.

Two days later, early in the morning Dave was shaving and caught a strange glint from the window. Flames leaping 2' in the air from that pit.

Which explains why our fire chief and others were on hand yesterday afternoon when a bunch of out-of-town folks were enjoying a campfire on national forest land during a "fire ban" (they were just beyond the big sign announcing it). I'm sure they thought it was cool, as there's still patches of snow from the 15" we got a couple days back. Someone among them was presented with a $500 fine. No sympathy here.
I build some big brush fires. I let the stuff build up till it rains then torch it, and sit on my bench and drink a beer. Last week we had some crazy wind , 20 miles per hour with gusts of 40. I had a little pile of Oak bark and splinters and was thinking of lighting it, then a big gust blew up. So I decided to wait. Couple days later I decided to burn up the pile while I was splitting. It had rained all night and was a perfect time to burn. I saw my neighbor so walked down to chat, and ask if the smoke bothered him. He said the smoke wasn’t blowing his way and he didn’t care, but the state had put a fire ban on, till further notice. I figured it was in case something got away it would tax the fire dept, so I put it out.

Your issue, in kiwi parlance, is a classic mullet dilemma.
View attachment 820098

This is to say, that with an electric saw you could be all business in the front and party out the back.

You're welcome.
Lol! Nice description. Is there an electric saw big enough to cut like a 365 though? If I were starting out now, knowing what I do now, I'd give serious thought to a quality electric saw instead of my little ms180. It could be corded, I've a power socket on the outside of the garage wall right where I tend to do my cutting.... But I think it's still want the 365. Speaking of which I think I ought to have another go at tuning it, I know a few of you guys run them, how the **** of you tube the thing by ear!? Fairly sure it's bouncing off the limiter like crazy when piss revving, but fine in wood. Dont think it's right though, it would bog in the pine if I put a bit of weight on it which I didn't expect. Having a limited carb there's less than a turn on the screw stop to stop so I don't know how far of factory I have put it and I can't tell 4 striking apart from bouncing off the limiter. Any tips for a guy without a tachometer?

I build some big brush fires. I let the stuff build up till it rains then torch it, and sit on my bench and drink a beer. Last week we had some crazy wind , 20 miles per hour with gusts of 40. I had a little pile of Oak bark and splinters and was thinking of lighting it, then a big gust blew up. So I decided to wait. Couple days later I decided to burn up the pile while I was splitting. It had rained all night and was a perfect time to burn. I saw my neighbor so walked down to chat, and ask if the smoke bothered him. He said the smoke wasn’t blowing his way and he didn’t care, but the state had put a fire ban on, till further notice. I figured it was in case something got away it would tax the fire dept, so I put it out.
Restrictions here too. “Personal” fires (ie fire pits) are still allowed here but must be 3’ in diameter or smaller. No burning permits for brush etc are being issued until further notice for the entire state. Which sucks cause they had a good system where you could pay $5 then register your fire online of by phone each time you wanted to burn. They’d tell you the restrictions each time you burn when you called in.

Finished cleaning up the top of the Norway Maple I cut down the other day, did some maint work to the F-150, then started making another bench, this one for my next door neighbor.

The bench itself is half round Black Oak (the twin piece of the one I used for my cabin), and I found a piece of 4" thick Red Oak that was just the right size to turn into legs. It has all been sanded, now just need to cut the back of the bench the right width for the legs, assemble and put a finish on it.

Also called my Tree Guy to have him look at a neighbor's problem. The neighbor mostly lives upstate, the house was his Mom's (she made it well into her 90s) but had been built by his Dad (who I never met). A very large Blue Spruce started to uproot and is leaning against and over the garage, which is attached to the house. Does not look like much damage, but a severe storm is predicted for Tue, so my Tree Guy will be here tomorrow morning with a crane to remove the tree from the garage. I'm sure I'll be watching the action.
Mike, is that blue spruce worthy of milling?

My home town has/had a lot of blue spruce as yard trees. Pretty hardy tree although a dirty tree. My childhood home had one of the larger ones in town. About 15 years ago the top 10’ broke off in a heavy storm. The last time I drove by, ur appears a new top has started growing again.

In 40’s they were widening our street and were going to cut it down. The wife of the original owner of the house climbed the tree and sat in it for several days until the road work had been completed.

LOL! With social distancing and stay at home orders I'm trying to maximize the wood from my neighbor's wood lot before everything leafs out and it's harder to get through where there are no trails. This is my exercise program now. Otherwise I'm just sitting here drinking beer!

I figure I'm approaching 90 wheelbarrow loads in my low impact firewood gathering. There sure are faster, more efficient ways to collect firewood, and I've passed on numerous opportunities on Craigslist in what seems to me is non-essential travel, but this is what is available to me and I'm making the most of it. I've probably stacked close to 40% of what I burn in a year so it's been good.

Plus with @Cowboy254 slacking off for a bit, somebody had to post photos.
That’s a lot of wood! Have you counted how many wheelbarrow loads per cord? I usually figure about 16-20 depending on the heap.

Restrictions here too. “Personal” fires (ie fire pits) are still allowed here but must be 3’ in diameter or smaller. No burning permits are being issued until further notice for the entire state. Which sucks cause they had a good system where you could pay $5 then register your fire online of by phone each time you wanted to burn. They’d tell you the restrictions each time you burn when you called in.
I don't remember if you saw my burn pile? It's kind of close to the woods on one side and the mowed yard on the other. I keep a pretty close watch on it when burning. Usually take the blower and blow all the leaves deeper in the woods. For the last month all I've been burning is bark and splinters. I would have kept burning, but, I have new neighbors and don't know if they'll rat me out. The wind was down the day I did start a fire. I have water at the pit, and a spray nozzel off one of my Dad's spray rigs. With just house pressure it can spray 50-75 feet. When we first built every one was like me, burned their leaves and spring dead fall. They used to just shake their heads at me though. I'd see which way the breeze was blowing and light the whole woods on fire and burn off the leaves. We're only talking about 1/2-3/4 acre, surrounded on all sides by mowed lawns. Would just walk around with a leaf rake dirrecting the fire which way to go. Haven't done that in years. All new city dweeler neighbors moved in. Normally I use common sense and burn while raining or snowing, but under current conditions I'm happy to follow the mandates. Like you said, I can still burn the bark and splinters in a 3' camp "personal" fire. It's just on a 12' bed of dead ashes. I have a cooler with just 2 beers and some hot dogs. If anyone did complain and the fire dept came out, I'd just say I was cooking my lunch so I didn't have to leave.

Lol! Nice description. Is there an electric saw big enough to cut like a 365 though? If I were starting out now, knowing what I do now, I'd give serious thought to a quality electric saw instead of my little ms180. It could be corded, I've a power socket on the outside of the garage wall right where I tend to do my cutting.... But I think it's still want the 365. Speaking of which I think I ought to have another go at tuning it, I know a few of you guys run them, how the **** of you tube the thing by ear!? Fairly sure it's bouncing off the limiter like crazy when piss revving, but fine in wood. Dont think it's right though, it would bog in the pine if I put a bit of weight on it which I didn't expect. Having a limited carb there's less than a turn on the screw stop to stop so I don't know how far of factory I have put it and I can't tell 4 striking apart from bouncing off the limiter. Any tips for a guy without a tachometer?
Well, actually, Yes there are. I saw pics of what looked like a Disston DA211 transmission with about an 8' bar in a lumber yard. The logs were stacked between poles, and the bar was pulled down with a helper handle to square all the logs. It had a big electric motor hooked to it.

Mike, is that blue spruce worthy of milling?

My home town has/had a lot of blue spruce as yard trees. Pretty hardy tree although a dirty tree. My childhood home had one of the larger ones in town. About 15 years ago the top 10’ broke off in a heavy storm. The last time I drove by, ur appears a new top has started growing again.

In 40’s they were widening our street and were going to cut it down. The wife of the original owner of the house climbed the tree and sat in it for several days until the road work had been completed.
Steve, I milled some Fir, that had been a live Christmas tree. As it grew they kept the lower limbs trimmed, so there were a lot of knots in the log. It turned out to be beautiful, nice pink color. People think it's Cedar, but not as red as Cedar. Made shelves in my wife's potting shed. Then I got the chance to bring home some big Blue Spruce logs that grew under the same conditions as the Fir. Lot's of knots. Turned out to be very bland, no where near as pretty as the Fir. Knots were OK in the wood. I was told it makes OK trailer decking. made sideboards for one of my small trailers. They are all grayed out now, but seem to be holding up fine. Five-six years old now.
This is the Spruce, might be fine structurally, just not pretty.
VLXBEQI.jpg

This is the Fir.
OkG9B2L.jpg

GHQLX5Z.jpg

Best thing to do is wind your H screw in (not too tight) and record where you are now. Then start it up and start winding it out until there is no doubt that it is rich. When it’s rich and burbling you will get your ear in tune by doing test cuts. Then work your way back in to the start and even past your starting point in 1/8th or even 1/4 of a turn increments. When your bouncing on the limiter it sounds different and you have less torque.
I used this method for my ps7900 and Ms201, they are both dogs to tune and it worked for me.

For those that get poison what do you use on it?
As much as I hate the new mask rule I dug one of these out of a box in the garage. There atleast 15 years old so can't catch to much crap for wareing it.View attachment 820170
Might want a bandana over that. Appearently the crazy go into a tailspin when they see N95 these days.

Fire warnings here. That seems early but been some small grass fires already.

There is merit in this. That said, the bent over row is virtually bullet proof as exercises go. Minimal involvement of the more vulnerable rotator cuff muscles, particularly supraspinatus. Worst case scenario, Harry will get some DOMS from trying to move too much weight but is highly unlikely to tear anything. It does make sense to ease into things, however.
I've had my right rotator repaired . But I think I may have buggered up my left one now. But cant get in to see a dr let alone get an MRI

Best thing to do is wind your H screw in (not too tight) and record where you are now. Then start it up and start winding it out until there is no doubt that it is rich. When it’s rich and burbling you will get your ear in tune by doing test cuts. Then work your way back in to the start and even past your starting point in 1/8th or even 1/4 of a turn increments. When your bouncing on the limiter it sounds different and you have less torque.
I used this method for my ps7900 and Ms201, they are both dogs to tune and it worked for me.
That's basically how I do it, out of the wood though. I just turn the high out until there's no mistaking it to be too fat, then start leaning it out until it starts bumping the limiter, then I go another 1/8 to half turn in. 1/8-1/4 for his stock saw would be just fine, 1/4 in the summer and an 1/8 in the winter, or tune it at an 1/8 past the limiter and leave it there all yr, you'll know if it's too fat :yes:.
This is how I like mine to sound @LondonNeil

Might want a bandana over that. Appearently the crazy go into a tailspin when they see N95 these days.

Fire warnings here. That seems early but been some small grass fires already.
We are under "mandated" mask wearing. here. I have the same ones as James and that's what I'm gonna wear when I go out. Anyone gives me sh!t I may just pull it down and start coughing in their direction.:surprised3: :laugh:

Latest posts

Back