Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know my uncle gets pissed at me when I tell him to take it easy, but I think we all can use that advice sometimes. My buddy WaynO that I do a fair bit of firewood cutting with was over to plow my driveway, he told me he has to go in and have a hernia fixed. I tried telling him that he needs to slow it down being 63. He just about smacked me and told me that I'm no one to talk, lectured me about how I abuse my body I won't make it to 60 and be able to do firewood. Well he got me thinking, maybe I'll start noodling and quartering a few more biggies before I try moving them into the truck.

But , today definitely looked like it was going to be a bad day :(

IMG_20150125_123208.jpg

Took it apart and found that the axle nut had backed off , no cotter pin to be found , luckily , a carpenter happened by and had a nail in his pocket so we were back on the road in no time :)

IMG_20150125_125434.jpg

Leaning trees were falling soon there after .

IMG_20150125_132915.jpg

IMG_20150125_141823.jpg

In no time we had a load to haul out and still polly 2 more loads hauled out to the road to collect :)

IMG_20150125_161848.jpg

IMG_20150125_161901.jpg

It really was a great day :)

I did give my plastic barrel cone a beatdown today , it hit 1 stump or rock at speed , thot it was going to pop apart at the bolts LOL
I did give it an awful crease/dent latter in the day hauling a 12" to 14" at the butt tree length maple when it fetched up against a 3" maple sapling of all things , but it still didn't pop apart lol .
I'm pretty sure I'll get it back into shape after I haul some smaller ones with it .
So far , the metal cone rules lol

My sister called me one morning, her (at the time) husband was going fishing and the trailer wheel fell off. I was half asleep untill I realized she said fell off. I asked her where it was, loaded up and headed out to fix it. Packing a wheel bearing is a breaze at the shop, it gets real exciting doing it with traffic buzzing buy at 45 mph.

Yup , we got the warnings up here as well , calling for 8" then rain so my bare ground will be gone ,
Cantdog out on your coast was pushin snow today so he could make room for the snow and the snow and the snow and the snow that he's expecting there .
I like rain LOL

After the rain we just had the ground is still frozen so I don't think the trees will topple :( But , one can always hope ;)
We did take a quick walk past where I was yesterday , found a few weekends worth of leaners :)
Not sure who owns them :(
Jerry (Pioneergut600) will work on that this week to make sure it's within the boundaries of my "Permit" because we spotted at least a couple or more cord of leaning hardwood all in a close proximity :)
I hope it's in permit area LOL If not , gonna try to find out who owns it .

I had a cotter pin mysteriously fall out of my old Polaris 400 ATV, going down the gravel about 35-40. Not cool, luckily just went in ditch n didn't roll.

Brother had tie rod break on the old Allis 190 going down the road to in high gear. Luckily just ditched it too and no wagons/load on.

We've been getting snow on weekends down here. It only took about 3 hrs to clear the bus parking lot today. That wasn't too bad but the shop is a mess. We've got too many vehicles awaiting work right now and they're blocking everything. Tomorrow's going to be a day of moving stuff around in prep for Tuesday. Two different stations put the shop in an area of max local snow, 24"-28" worth, while the house is only at 23". I've got to gas up the Suburban and get fuel for the generator and snowblowers. I'm thinking maybe I should repair my big blower tomorrow night but that means pulling the drive assy to swap the belts and take off the augers.

After the bus lot, shop, and house I won't have much energy left for scrounging. @chucker, I'll leave a pile of snow for you at the bottom of the driveway. Take what ya want, just don't make too much noise as I'll be sleeping.

image.jpg No snow here but it's hot as 25-30 degrees 77-86 F went scrounging some wood today can't spell what it is called but it's in the wattle family of trees. Wil put up a pic or two. Anyway the land owners turned up and it's turned into more and more and more wood maybe 100-150 7x5 trailer loads with a cage that holds 3mtrs plus another trailer that holds about the sameimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

We got 7" on Sat, finally got to put that ATV plow to good use, and 2' (+/-) predicted for today/tomorrow. S/B fun!

Yesterday it was above freezing, so I took the Grandson's sleigh riding. Once the stuff got packed down, it was a chore to stop them before they went further downhill and into the stream. My daughter was supposed to send me pics and even a video, but nothing yet.

Unfortunately, we did not get a video of the first time I tried to stop their sled (they were both in one sled). Let's just say I can still do some acrobatics. My daughter says I went way up in the air, but I did not let go of the front of that sled, and we all ended up about 15' further down the hill, with my body cross blocking the sled. It was FUN!

Matt, I did not get mad at U, and U know the secret, just stay in shape!

Good luck with the storm everyone. I'm recharging batteries and have some extra gas on hand for the ATV or Generator, whichever needs it!

I just got in from getting ready for our first major snow event of the season , the little Bota with the loader is all fuelled up and ready , dug out the snow shovels , I fired up my little MEP015 to make sure it still runs , if we loose power for a bit it'll run my furnace fans to keep the house warm and power up a few lights and the wife put away the 2 extra loader buckets of scrounged wood in the porch , I've got plenty of food so I say "Bring it on !!!"

No snow here but it's hot as 25-30 degrees 77-86 F went scrounging some wood today can't spell what it is called but it's in the wattle family of trees. Wil put up a pic or two. Anyway the land owners turned up and it's turned into more and more and more wood maybe 100-150 7x5 trailer loads with a cage that holds 3mtrs plus another trailer that holds about the same

So how's that wood burn? Long burn times or is it lightweight and up in smoke right away?

Weather related: The vehicles are arranged here at the house. At work all the buses are lined up on one end of the parking lot and the shop is organized well enough for cleanup operations. The big snow blower is repaired, the old one is just as good as it's always been, and the generator is fueled and ready to run. The wood box is overstuffed and everyone's home for the day tomorrow except me. Gotta make the trek into town to make a couple of passes through the lot, around the shop, clean up what the city doesn't. I just love being essential personnel. But I saw something tonight I've never seen before. Twenty miles of interstate heading south was nearly bumper with utility trucks and there was a line of 'em at the toll booth that had to be thirty trucks long. I worked for the phone company years ago and I never saw that many trucks in one area. It's actually kind of impressive.

Here's to the next few days.

Latest posts

Back