Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ECHO claims to have the lightest 2-cycle saw. Check out their CS-2511P, and 2511T. 5-6 pounds 'dry weight'

Almost the same size as the XL I was using, it’s 26.2 CC. This Echo is 25 CC. This is lighter and probably more powerful.
69955709-553F-4652-B1BB-AD5AF3AC3340.jpeg35343C00-4712-4935-871E-43E24F642FD3.jpeg

When the time comes that I can't shovel a driveway ... throw dirt on me!
That’s basically what I said in one of the chainsaw forums. “If I get to the point I have to put one of those big ugly D handles on my beloved Homelite Super 1050 to crank it over, please take me off shore fishing, hand me my 1050, and give me a push.” I’ll tread water as long as I can to keep from getting salt water in the carb.

Almost the same size as the XL I was using, it’s 26.2 CC. This Echo is 25 CC. This is lighter and probably more powerful.
View attachment 888827View attachment 888828
Went into my local Ace and all of the Echo’s were gone. All brand new Stihls in place. I’m not sure what’s up. The Southern States about 5 doors down is a Stihl dealer too. I wonder if they lost their dealership?

Interesting. I don’t see it being good for trail work though, it looks bulky and cumbersome.

Your link wouldn’t play, this works.

Cracks me up how a chainsaw manufacturer makes the absolute worse tree care video trying to sell stuff. Skinning up the sides of live trees, no flush cuts, no cutting to laterals. When our Boy Scouts did trail work in NM the Park Service held them to a much higher standard than that guy was using

It’s time for a new saw for the hiking trail volunteer work I do. I’ve been using a Homelite XL for a long time. It needs work, and I have a surge in volunteers right now. I want a saw that’ll keep them dragging brush away, instead of standing around. The Homelite XL would normally be considered mismatched, with the 18” bar it has. I weighed the whole saw at 9 lbs. I think that type of mismatch is good for brushing. It gives some reach into the bushes, but isn’t heavier than it needs to be. Most cuts are well within what the smallest power head could do. And we could just take it easy with the bigger cuts, or bring in a bigger saw just for those. We’re working 4-1/4 miles back on the trail right now, it’ll be almost 7 miles back eventually. We don‘t have stock to carry our equipment, the saw needs to be carried in along with backpacking gear. So lightweight is essential. Our group’s parent organization might purchase the saw for us, I’m thinking Stihl. I looked at the 193 T and 193 C-E online. What do you guys think on this subject?

We’re mostly cutting 1/2” to 3” bushes.
View attachment 888749

ECHO claims to have the lightest 2-cycle saw. Check out their CS-2511P, and 2511T. 5-6 pounds 'dry weight'
This :rolleyes:.
I just talked with a dealer about one last week in the rear handled version. I asked when their dealer days were and he told me and said he'd be happy to ship it to me. I'd probably have it shipped right out to have ported, beasty saw ported for a baby saw. The 2511 top handle I have is so small it's crazy.
Remind me and I'll get a picture of it next to an old craftsman 2.0, probably similar in size to your XL.

I never started on it. I went through a bit of a rough patch at the time I bought the saw (hence my mini melt down) and just put it away on the shelf.

But it's my plan to start working on it soon and have it ready for the upcoming firewood season in April? My neighbor is not going to be much help. He never did a pressure/vacuum test, so I'm on my own.
Awesome, look forward to seeing you get it running properly.
Maybe the neighbor will end up coming thru for you, could he have been in a funk of his own, we all get there at times.

It’s time for a new saw for the hiking trail volunteer work I do. I’ve been using a Homelite XL for a long time. It needs work, and I have a surge in volunteers right now. I want a saw that’ll keep them dragging brush away, instead of standing around. The Homelite XL would normally be considered mismatched, with the 18” bar it has. I weighed the whole saw at 9 lbs. I think that type of mismatch is good for brushing. It gives some reach into the bushes, but isn’t heavier than it needs to be. Most cuts are well within what the smallest power head could do. And we could just take it easy with the bigger cuts, or bring in a bigger saw just for those. We’re working 4-1/4 miles back on the trail right now, it’ll be almost 7 miles back eventually. We don‘t have stock to carry our equipment, the saw needs to be carried in along with backpacking gear. So lightweight is essential. Our group’s parent organization might purchase the saw for us, I’m thinking Stihl. I looked at the 193 T and 193 C-E online. What do you guys think on this subject?

We’re mostly cutting 1/2” to 3” bushes.
View attachment 888749
View attachment 888750
View attachment 888751
View attachment 888752

Occasionally we’re cutting trees like this.
View attachment 888755
View attachment 888756

And this is a rare bigger one, it was probably 15-16 inches. It’s oak. Only a couple times I’ve had to cut trees 18 to 22 inches.
View attachment 888757
View attachment 888758
You want some more Homelites? I could send you a whole box of them.

probably similar in size to your XL.

I had it inside my backpack. Except for a set of loppers, hard hats and shirts, we didn’t look any different than typical backpackers. Fuel and oil were inside packs too, or in exterior pouches. We used backpack stove fuel bottles, and one water bottle.

4EA943B5-D41A-4D8B-AC63-459CA9D408A6.jpeg

I hate to say it, but for the work you describe I would check out some of the newer battery powered saws. DeWalt also makes a nice one, you may be surprised.

My brother says he uses his 241 a lot less since he got one.

Are they gonna run 2-3 days without access to a charger?

We use both of those, but they’re way too time consuming for the areas thick with brush. At least one chainsaw is a must, the rest of the crew have hand tools.
The 193T is an excellent brushing saw but dangerous if not 'two-handed'. It also hard to start unless you have the dealer put on the 'easy start' then it is a ***** cat. Why they engineered a saw that the pull to start is unbelievably hard for such a small saw is beyond me. I have both the 193T and a Husky top handle. The Husky seems a bit lighter but I don't like it as it has such a small fuel tank.

The 193T is an excellent brushing saw but dangerous if not 'two-handed'. It also hard to start unless you have the dealer put on the 'easy start' then it is a ***** cat. Why they engineered a saw that the pull to start is unbelievably hard for such a small saw is beyond me. I have both the 193T and a Husky top handle. The Husky seems a bit lighter but I don't like it as it has such a small fuel tank.

The 193 is 1.74 hp, the XL is 1.43 hp. The 193T weighs 7.28 lbs, XL weighs 7.8 lbs. So pretty close. I could one hand with the XL though, it never kicked back.

The 193 is 1.74 hp, the XL is 1.43 hp. The 193T weighs 7.28 lbs, XL weighs 7.8 lbs. So pretty close. I could one hand with the XL though, it never kicked back.
I'd just like to know why is a top handle so sought after, and why the hate of the ms180? We ran them as truck saws at the township. They were always very reliable, had decent power and were very light. Arguably they took more abuse then the bigger pro models we had, and if im.not mistaken has the same engine construction as a ms 193.

Latest posts

Back