Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last year I had trouble with my neck/back after hand splitting firewood. Split a bunch Sunday and no issues. The rear muscles of my upper legs sure are tight after this round. When I took the kids walking in the woods on Sunday afternoon those muscles were cramping like crazy which is something I’ve never had. Guess I better eat more bananas. On the positive side, leg cramps are a hell of a lot easier to deal with than neck issues!!

It was quite the experience. The chipper was a Whisper Chipper. It was pretty crazy. I'd throw in a 4" branch about 10 ft long with all the small end branches attached and that thing would suck it in less than a half a second. Throw the branch in and turn your back because you can't get out of the way fast enough and you inevitably get whipped by some branches. It was a very effective machine though.
We had a 16” Asplundh chipper. the whisper model was the next newer one from ours. Ours had a 300 CI Ford in line six. My uncle had the same model with a Ford V8. The V8 was a little wider and his guys kept knocking out the radiator, so Dad ordered ours with the six. The Whisper was much quieter, and knocked the high pitch wine way down. That’s why I can’t hear now. The doctor said my hearing loss is compatible with prop engine fighter planes. When I got married my wife said my back looked like a slave on a Roman gallion.

I run a chuck and duck--a Woodchuck 12. I know quite well why people don't love them. But it's ideal for the pine and other conifers that are pretty much all I cut in this area. Don't even need a chip truck because we shoot chips right back into the woods. Lord, how I love not owning a chip truck. What's nice about a chuck and duck--a drum chipper is its proper name--is the simplicity. Very few moving parts and no hydraulics. You basically have an engine, clutch & bell housing, then a belt transferring drive back to the drum. Three grease zerks (!)--just one for the bearing at the drive end coming out of the bell housing, and one for each bearing for the drum holding the four knives. My chipper is pretty much always running, unlike many in guys in the trade.

Once you know its tricks and learn how to avoid problems, it's not too bad a machine to run. You learn to push stuff in with an open hand, as it will grab stuff out of your hand and rip you open if you're not careful. You do get your hand whacked occasionally, but the only blood I've ever spilled to that thing was due to facial cuts before I learned to wear a helmet with a screen face guard. When you feed dead wood, it often explodes and shoots chunks back at the operator. A chuck & duck isn't for everyone, but I get along with mine. I am very careful to allow no one near it except for my well trained employee.

80 hp (I think, might be 72 hp or some such--hard to know for sure) Deutz diesel, and I do like that outfit--it's oil cooled, meaning no coolant to mess with, the oil runs thru the radiator and back into the engine.

Am now into my busy season, so little time to visit here. But we went on a scrounge mission today. I have an arborist who I've been getting wood from for a while. Pretty sweet arrangement, so even though I have my next season's wood in hand, I'm taking all he makes available to keep the pipeline open. Have been getting Lauren who works with me fixed with a winter's worth of wood.

Today's haul from down on the plains was mostly ash, some elm, a few lengths of mulberry, a bit of honey locust, and it was all fished out of a pile with much cottonwood, which we don't mess with. Lauren was having quite a time, as she lacks the experience to identify the various wood just by bark & such. And I've always thought ash and cottonwood bark have similarities, but they're not difficult to tell once you know. Got a full pickup and trailer load, but have to go back in a day or two to get the remainder. We've been getting a good bit of ash and honey locust from this outfit--nice to have.

Leg cramps . . . when I was 45 yrs old, first night out on a week-long cross-state bike ride, overworked from biking serous hills & being short on sleep--I got introduced to leg cramps. Thighs locked up tight--it's excruciating. Had never had them before and had no understanding of them. I learned fast.

With age, however, they are now a lousy, constant threat. Have learned to mostly prevent them, unless I forget or get lax about prevention. Bananas--have daily gone through 3--5 on hot summer days, and I don't like bananas. Now my go-to is coconut water. Two to three cans for any workday. Copious water, of course. Bananas when I can force them down. Hot shower after work is essential (not sure why, but it works). And vinegar. I swig apple cider vinegar from the bottle, can get three good swigs before gag reflex puts a stop to it. Have to keep a bottle of vinegar at the side of the bed, for the rare times when no amount of prevention worked. Oh, and no sugar late in the day. I used to mix maple syrup and peanut butter for a late evening snack--had to give it up.

My thighs are constantly at risk for cramps, but a builder friend--lots of ladder and on your feet all day--Frank said he gets 'em in his calves. Terrible either way. Frank's wife is nearly deaf, can't hear much of anything without hearing aids. He said he was out of the bed & on the floor one night, writhing with pain, and only way to get his wife's help was to throw the cat on her. :)

G'day fellas, a little light scrounging this morning.

Sliced up the next blue gum log with the 241 first up.

28th Apr 1.jpg

Stihl have this one to go

28th Apr 2.jpg

There's also another one that has rolled a couple of metres down the bank which I'll grab as well.

28th Apr 3.jpg

28th Apr 4.jpg

I think that by the end of this tree I'll have enough proper wood for the bonfire, then just need to scrounge up a few other bits and pieces then construct.

:)

Does Michigan have any rules about cutting trees near waterways? MN does. Not saying you’d get in trouble but the HO might.

Not trying to be a downer but just my reaction knowing how picky MN is about these things.
For the most part no, but certain rivers do, especially the "natural rivers" :laugh:.
This is backwater from a dam and the level is pretty consistent. I lived on the floodplain of the grand river and no-one ever said anything about removing trees, but I didn't ask either.
Saw a couple muskrats about 20' from me today, yesterday there was an opossum in their live trap(home owners, not the muskrats).
Where I piled most of the branches there's a huge hole in the bank from a broken fitting on a 4" drain tile, they didn't know why it was there lol. There is at least one critter hole on the back wall of the hole, they called it a cave :). I think they could use a couple more traps, and some new tile :yes:.
I had a couple mallards visit me down there today, they were only about 15' from me when I was pulling these out. Also saw two bald eagles yesterday and one today. When I dropped the cherry I heard whoo-hoo, I thought it was the homeowner, it was an owl. Great place to work, other than the hill!
Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 8.52.15 PM.png
Last year I had trouble with my neck/back after hand splitting firewood. Split a bunch Sunday and no issues. The rear muscles of my upper legs sure are tight after this round. When I took the kids walking in the woods on Sunday afternoon those muscles were cramping like crazy which is something I’ve never had. Guess I better eat more bananas. On the positive side, leg cramps are a hell of a lot easier to deal with than neck issues!!
Surprisingly I haven't had any hard core cramps(just minor) after my many trips up and down this hill and across it.
Today I brought a gallon of water with and was determined to leave if I drank it all. I finished it off and then finished de-limbing the maple the ducks are near in the picture and left, normally I would have went for one more. When I got to the truck I looked in the mirror and I was pretty sunburnt, wasn't expecting that. I was thinking of you and the lake logs when I was cutting that one up :).

Leg cramps . . . when I was 45 yrs old, first night out on a week-long cross-state bike ride, overworked from biking serous hills & being short on sleep--I got introduced to leg cramps. Thighs locked up tight--it's excruciating. Had never had them before and had no understanding of them. I learned fast.

With age, however, they are now a lousy, constant threat. Have learned to mostly prevent them, unless I forget or get lax about prevention. Bananas--have daily gone through 3--5 on hot summer days, and I don't like bananas. Now my go-to is coconut water. Two to three cans for any workday. Copious water, of course. Bananas when I can force them down. Hot shower after work is essential (not sure why, but it works). And vinegar. I swig apple cider vinegar from the bottle, can get three good swigs before gag reflex puts a stop to it. Have to keep a bottle of vinegar at the side of the bed, for the rare times when no amount of prevention worked. Oh, and no sugar late in the day. I used to mix maple syrup and peanut butter for a late evening snack--had to give it up.

My thighs are constantly at risk for cramps, but a builder friend--lots of ladder and on your feet all day--Frank said he gets 'em in his calves. Terrible either way. Frank's wife is nearly deaf, can't hear much of anything without hearing aids. He said he was out of the bed & on the floor one night, writhing with pain, and only way to get his wife's help was to throw the cat on her. :)
I’ve found that Himalayan pink salt helps. A friend that does 100 mile marathons and Iron Man races told me about it. It’s basically like unprocessed salt. It has sodium, calcium, magnesium, potassium, and most of the trace elements you sweat out. I could eat ten pounds of banana’s and it didn’t help at all. V8 juice worked better than nana’s, and magnesium supplements work very well. But, for me, the pink salt worked the best. But, I’m 65, and my B/P is 120/74. So, my doctor said I can use salt for my cramps.

I claim no special knowledge regarding cramps, however my old man would cramp every single day from his teen years until a couple of years ago. It just wasn't a normal dinner if Dad wasn't jumping out of his chair at some point clutching his leg. He has almost eliminated them by increasing his plain salt intake. He has exercised a considerable amount all his life. From what I have seen, people's causes of cramp vary and so might the solution. The only thing with increasing your salt is that in some people it can raise blood pressure so if you're thinking of going down that path, to it in consultation with your doc and make sure your BP remains ok and your blood tests as well.

Regarding the salt, I've never been one to reach for the salt shaker, as everything tastes fine to me without it. But a couple years ago when I mentioned my leg cramps to a physical therapist, she said maybe salt would help. So I began dumping sea salt (like the Himalayan pink, it has potassium and other trace minerals) on pretty much everything I ate. I've always had low blood pressure, so I wasn't worried.

Then last year about this time my annual physical exam with my doc was scheduled for Zoom. My wife, a retired nurse, took my blood pressure beforehand. Can't recall the numbers, but it was way higher than it had ever been. Altho when I told my doc she just nodded and said fine. Apparently what's high blood pressure for me is regular for others. So I've not been doing salt in the past year. But I'll try the Himalayan pink.

And, yeah SVK, leg extension is Job One when the cramps hit. Numerous times I've tried to climb out of bed and either stand and walk or get my legs jammed between bed and wall. Have had some interesting times stumbling around, nearly fell downstairs one time trying to get to the kitchen for vinegar. Kind of funny to my wife, but nothing about cramps has ever made me laugh.

Kind of funny to my wife, but nothing about cramps has ever made me laugh.
What about the cat getting thrown onto the wife lol.
One time my leg started to cramp as my kiddo sat down on my foot, I straightened it out and sent her sailing :surprised3:. I was laughing, and writhing in pain at the same time, would have made heck of a video :laughing::cry::laughing::cry::laughing:. Everyone else was just looking on wondering what was going on :laugh:.

I forgot if I posted a pic of the rock I planted last week, went back a few pages and didn't see it, so here it is again. It seems to be thriving. I've been watering it for an hour every morning. It even started to produce fruit after a day of two.
liXSsUR.jpg

4aNiqko.jpg

The only times I've had read bad leg cramps is when I biked too hard ... usually trying to stay with younger/stronger guys.

Sometimes it would happen in the middle of a ride, other times several hours later.

I don't get them when I stay "within my limits", but I always eat lots of salt.

When I was in college, on the wrestling team, they did not understand the importance of hydration, and we were not allowed to drink during the 2.5 hr workout in a heated wrestling room. We often dropped about 8 lbs from weigh in to weigh out, and I was wrestling at 177 lbs. The first thing we did after practice was drink fluids, then pour salt into the palm of you hand and pop it in your mouth and wash it down. Otherwise, you would often get light headed. Looking back on it, we must all have been tough SOBs!!!

One time I tried to get back down to 167 for a tournament. I could not drink anything for fear of not making weight. I tried to chew a piece of gum and it just broke up in my mouth and was like chewing on sand paper, it did not even stick together! Turned out to be a big mistake, 167 was the most crowded weight class!

Back