Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck with your business I'm sure you will do just fine. I almost went into business with a partner years ago but it just didn't feel right to me so, I opened up my shop myself and appointed my wife as my secretary and book keeper. That was almost 5 years ago and in hindsight was the best move we ever made. What kind of business do you have?

I'll be tipping a few after my boys' soccer game.

Been a week of new beginnings here. Broke up a toxic business partnership and going out on my own. Time to celebrate in riddance and relief and also toast to future successes.
good luck SVK. i'll toast to your future success in about 10 minutes.:cheers:

Manhood issues? I must have missed that discussion.

About the giver getting the biggest/best reward. Isn't that pretty interesting? Lets say there's no higher being. No divine guiding hand. Why does it feel good to help someone else? Why isn't it just the strongest shall survive, kill or killed, etc? I've always wondered about that. Probably shouldn't discuss this in a public online forum though. There's a few topics one should never discuss.

Very basically, earlier societies (great grandpappy zogazug days..) found out it was a good idea for the family group, then small tribe, to stay cooperative. It works as a force multiplier, provides better security, and more productive, division of labor, which all worked together to make more successful humans. Becoming altruistic worked on a small scale, eventually it will overcome it all and work on a planetary scale. Ain't there yet, seems to take a few zillion years...

I've had similar circumstances to both svk and matt.
My business partner of 14 years that I supported through injury/surgery/recovery 8 years ago couldn't see to carry the load through my injury/surgery/recovery and wanted to close the company , so , off to the lawyers we went , me with no money and on crutches but structured a deal and bought him out is stead of closing .
When the surgeon lifted restrictions I was off and scrounging , after I had enough I cut & split for me I delivered a cord to a retired couple I know , he was mad at me for splitting it and that I wouldn't take any money , I told him he was paying exactly what I paid for it but when I have to pay for wood he'd have to pay for it , after a bit I find out that the do nothing for anyone family members found out , they wanted to know why I would just give wood away , what was I up to , what was my motive , now they're suspicious of me .....
I plowed open and knocked back the retired couple's the snowbanks this past weekend with the Bota last weekend because they couldn't see the traffic when trying to get out of the drive , they wouldn't let me leave without paying ,(I know that they've paid a fortune for snowplowing this winter) so I told them 20$ not the 40$ they wanted to give me , they sent 20$ with their good daughter the next day , I sent it back with the good daughter , the rest of the family is suspicious of me , I gave them 2 banana boxes of kindlin this summer because I split way more than I burn , the rest of the family wants to know what I want and why would I do that for nothing for people I hardly know ....
I gave him a running Poulan chainsaw that Pioneerguy600 picked up in a box lot of saws and got it running ,I supplied the bar and chain from a dumpster dive find , he needed it just in case he had to trim up a bit of wood for the stove , family figures something fishy is up , who gives a saw away for free , what am I up to .......
They just don't buy it that it's because I can and it's because I want to .

BTW , I don't remember anyone with manhood issues , even when , the Marcy was posting (I think that was her name?)
Clint , small steps , ramp it up a little slower LOL
Is ash as easy to split as popple , a 10" diameter by 3' stick was heavy to trudge through 3' of snow but it split up easy in quarters and much easier to handle .

Yup, it's a great feeling to help someone out without being asked to. You always seem to be rewarded, in some way, later on in life. Even if it's just to restore someones faith in mankind. You may never know how much you have truly helped that person out, but they know, and that's what's really important. Heck Matt, you made me feel good!!View attachment 415105

Called karma guys...and it's what a decent hearted, compassionate person does to help a fellow man, woman, etc. Matt shined when his opportunity arose...guarantee the powers that be took notice, saw it. Just my thinkin.

I've had similar circumstances to both svk and matt.
My business partner of 14 years that I supported through injury/surgery/recovery 8 years ago couldn't see to carry the load through my injury/surgery/recovery and wanted to close the company , so , off to the lawyers we went , me with no money and on crutches but structured a deal and bought him out is stead of closing .
When the surgeon lifted restrictions I was off and scrounging , after I had enough I cut & split for me I delivered a cord to a retired couple I know , he was mad at me for splitting it and that I wouldn't take any money , I told him he was paying exactly what I paid for it but when I have to pay for wood he'd have to pay for it , after a bit I find out that the do nothing for anyone family members found out , they wanted to know why I would just give wood away , what was I up to , what was my motive , now they're suspicious of me .....
I plowed open and knocked back the retired couple's the snowbanks this past weekend with the Bota last weekend because they couldn't see the traffic when trying to get out of the drive , they wouldn't let me leave without paying ,(I know that they've paid a fortune for snowplowing this winter) so I told them 20$ not the 40$ they wanted to give me , they sent 20$ with their good daughter the next day , I sent it back with the good daughter , the rest of the family is suspicious of me , I gave them 2 banana boxes of kindlin this summer because I split way more than I burn , the rest of the family wants to know what I want and why would I do that for nothing for people I hardly know ....
I gave him a running Poulan chainsaw that Pioneerguy600 picked up in a box lot of saws and got it running ,I supplied the bar and chain from a dumpster dive find , he needed it just in case he had to trim up a bit of wood for the stove , family figures something fishy is up , who gives a saw away for free , what am I up to .......
They just don't buy it that it's because I can and it's because I want to .
Good for you @dancan Glad to hear you are not in the camp that talks about giving until it hurts, but rather are living your life believing that is is good to give until it feels good.

Good for you @dancan Glad to hear you are not in the camp that talks about giving until it hurts, but rather are living your life believing that is is good to give until it feels good.

You summed it up right there Erik...leaving absolutely zero doubt and nothing in question. Genuine post.

And, thanks for all the nice thoughts fellas, but I'm telling you guys, you all would have done the same too. All you'd have to do was see the poor old fella and know what its like to be cold. It seemed like it was meant to be, I turned around and took a chance and the guy said I could have the wood, then seeing the old guy......it was meant to be. I felt this urge inside me to strike up the conversation and you guys already heard the rest.

So I went back to my scrounge spot from yesterday, somebody else had found it too, but I was still able to fillthe F150 up with another load.

Good for you my man. Being ahead like you are on wood, I know if the same situation presented itself helping out the older gentleman, you'd shine again. Regardless of how sore our backs are, regardless of our jobs, doing what you did takes character and integrity...and nothing in return. No upmamship, nobody loses..its a simple win/win deal. Folks like you, me, other good, decent people, are a rare bird nowadays. But it's alright in my book...ain't never been one of the 'keepin up with the Jones' mentality' no how. I'm like you, help a man if he's down...makes me sleep a little better, find that perfect spot on the pillow. Sure beats tossin' and a turnin' all night. Matt, you did a good deed. A silly ass 'like' means nothin to what you did for that gentleman. Good for you man.

Reid, it is also about making it a better place here & now right here. There is no downside.

The recent post from my nephew & others confirm why this was, is, and will be my favorite thread. Nothing better than good people!

I help my neighbors all the time, then they respond, not just with me, but with other neighbors, then you end up with a better neighborhood.

Latest posts

Back