Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think 32 and 36 it will run on the 7310. I was looking at them aswell.
I feel the same here as I do about putting a 28 on the 590. I'll run 32 and 36 on the 2095 If the need arises. Nice thing with the 7310 is echo went to large mount husky bar pattern so I could run the bigger bars on it if I had to. Just prefer to go to a bigger saw then push the limits of a smaller one.

Good to see you posting again James, it has been a while!
It's been a little while. I'm still working on the square filing thing. I decided the 590 will run nothing but square as a way to keep me practicing all the time. 20210513_170337.jpg
Still not perfect with keeping the corner lined up but it's getting better.

This will likely be an expensive scrounge, especially because I have plenty of standing dead Red Oak in the woods away from more critical infrastructure. Two nights ago we had a tremendous wind and rain storm. Sadly this big old oak uprooted, and fell toward my driveway and my private utility lines.

IMG_0636.jpg

It took out both the power and neutral lines, but sort of caught itself on the slope of the land and the super strong comcast cable. In the process it also took down a young hickory there.

There was some urgency to getting my wife out in her car, so I pole sawed a path past the low hanging branches and severed power lines and got her out. Left me with some sketchy sawing to get the branches off the line. I decided to let a pro read the various tensions, and put the right equipment to work. He strung a basket line around the limbs and stabilized the back side of the lines before taking the weight off:

IMG_0638.jpg

Once he cleared the intended path of the power lines, he moved on to a long list of folks who had trees needing attention. I had a private Electrical Contractor reset the one utility pole that was listing badly then splice the several points the power lines were severed.

IMG_0639.jpg

And, I started sawing up the tree. Today I'll press my small fleet of tractor, arch, ATV, and cart to move this off the edges of my driveway and into a convenient processing location. Both the Oak that was about 38" diameter (Is is still called DBH when it is uprooted and laying on the ground) and the much smaller Hickory were green trees, so once I have them hitched, I'll pull them to the two year from now pile.

And, since I am often asked - yes the last seven utility pole spans to my house are my private maintenance responsibility. Local power company stops at the third pole on my driveway. When something like this happens they promptly remove the fusible link there and leave me a kind of a greeting note. It took longer to get them to come back and re-engergize the repaired line than it did to remove the trees, and repair the lines.

IMG_0640.jpg

I guess with access to the pole number database a super sleuth could find my home. That's ok with me - bring your saw and splitter.

Wow jere39 looks insane over. Do you have to pay for new poles after the cleanup?
Well, I would have to pay to replace any broken poles, but that one didn't break, it just tilted in the rain softened soil. So, that large maintenance truck re-set it to plumb, and they dumped a mix of stones and setting compound down the elongated hole. Then they had a hydraulic tamper on a long spool line on the back of the same truck and tamped it good. I suspect once it is plumb and the lines all restrung all the force is vertical. So, in this case, the pole was resurrected and hopefully lasts another 20 years.

This pair were experienced pros. One rode the pole truck, the other the bucket truck and they helped each other. Nice to find a company as good as this one. Of course, I haven't seen a bill yet.

IMG_0637.jpg

🤞you found something to keep you warm.:innocent:
I’ll agree with that sentiment.

Seems like anytime I tell someone that I’ve found a promising gal, that person goes up in smoke. So I’m real hesitant to say anything anymore. But I will say prospecting has been better recently.

View attachment 966226My ported 590 has been putting in some work lately. I'm sure it would pull a 28 if I needed to. But anything over a 20 I'd just grab the 7910 dolmar. I gave the dolmar back to my cousin so I've been looking at the 7310s to take its place.
Hey JM how do you like the full wrap on the 590? I see they go for around 100$ my 590 is stock but wears a 24" and a set of larger felling spikes

This pair were experienced pros. One rode the pole truck, the other the bucket truck and they helped each other. Nice to find a company as good as this one

Some of those utility guys are magicians. I have seen neighborhoods where a tornado comes through, and 3 days later, all new utility poles and power lines in place. They get a lot of practice.

Philbert

Hey JM how do you like the full wrap on the 590? I see they go for around 100$ my 590 is stock but wears a 24" and a set of larger felling spikes
Honestly I bought cause I wanted it. I've had a few situations where it was nice having a handle down the clutch side but not enough to say definitely order one.
It's very well made and solid as a rock. No clearance issues with a scrench to get the bar off.
IMHO the full wrap on the 590/620 is just like big felling spikes on a 590/620 it's a want not a need.

Thanks for the great info! Yea its definitely a want vs need thing. But for the 25$ the felling spike upgrade gave the wolf a better bite. Having dual spikes is nice. It helps keep me square in the cut. Thanks again JM, your 590 looks awesome :baba: :baba::baba::rock:

Attachments

• 20210628_083554.jpg
    20210628_083554.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • 20210628_083634.jpg
    20210628_083634.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
We had the same wind storm here in South Central VA, some rain but not enough to mess things up. I haven't yet walked through the woods, but we didn't loose any trees to the wind. The ice storm we had must have taken all the weak trees and limbs out. Many trees have widow makers hung up in them from that storm, to the point that if the wind is blowing hard er than a breeze I won't go in the tall trees. i seldom have anyone around to help so I have to be careful. I didn't get to 73 by being foolish! (after I turned 50, anyway).

Latest posts

Back