Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If a fella has the spot to do it a long row north to south top covered is the best. Baked by the sun in the morning baked by the sun on the other side in the afternoon. Not done it myself but I certainly see where it would be great. Full ventilation, full sun. I hear you can take green wood to burnable in around 8 months stacked like that.
I live on top of a hill in Mt Airy. The wind blows constantly. Oak stacked on my court, in the sun, with no cover, split from now till May or so, will be ready to burn next Fall/Winter. The other thing is, in the cold months here, the humidity drops and freezing thawing seems to push the water out. I split about six cords of Cherry back in October. A friend asked for a half cord. I told him it wasn't ready yet, but he wanted it. He came back in a couple weeks and said he wanted a full cord, it was burning great. So, I burned about a cord of it. Different wood, and different environment.

I want to find a couple white oaks around me to mill. My favorite piece of furniture is a bench my Great Uncle made from a white oak log. He originally made it for my other GU (his brother-in-law), but gave it to me after he saw how much I loved it. I'd like to make a matching bench like that, then maybe a kitchen table for the misses. I'm torn between white oak and black walnut for her table.

Now to learn about milling with an Alaskan mill. Pretty excited about the venture. Hopefully this all works out.

Oh, and @chipper, the bar studs are fine. LMBO!

Kt1LlQN.jpg
That enough saw for that haybale ?
You may need to get it ported lol

I'm no web expert or even very techy nor am I privy to how this particular site works so I'm guessing here. Advertisers or sponsors may value by per click. So the number of visits in a given time a site receives will determine its value to an advertiser or sponsor. If my sticker causes 5 people to look it up over its lifetime and if a thousand stickers manages to attract one active member like one of us, it likely pays for itself. Besides, who doesn't like stickers? Lol. I just wanna know how many posts I have to make to get the t-shirt! [emoji23]

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

There was talk of an AS hat back in the day ...
Never saw one of those but have seen plenty of As holes ;)

a skidder cone makes it so much better. the big yellow one's are worth the money.
I made a similar device from the front corner of a large SUV bumper cover, using the fog light hole as my choker access. It works ok, but then I built a log arch that works better. Arch doesn't work without direct attachment to the tractor, and I couldn't reach it down the hill side far enough to pick up the front of these logs. I arched these two from this point on my driveway to my processing area. I am sure the bumper cover would have helped, but I was pulling through leaves, and didn't bother pulling it out of the shed and putting it on these two. Me being lazy. The first log came up a little easier, but still a couple grunts, and a whining hydro:

I can't tell, is that packing Nut round or does it have a hex shape like an actual nut?

It’s 1-13/16”, I put Blue Locktite on the threads and zapped it on with a 3/4” impact, with the appropriate size air hose. It needs a bigger than standard hose. It’s a new nylon lock nut, only went on once.
07A03A7D-8478-49D6-B4A8-5B8FB719720A.jpeg

Birthday party?
LOL! I forgot to mention that on our trio to Indiana I told the family, "Point out any woodburners you see from the highway. Just holler out!" I think I was the only one enthusiastically playing though. My wife did spot a couple, but I found most of them and even called out firewood stacks, a guy with a chainsaw, and a pickup loaded with wood. Maybe they were just sore that I was winning the game... :yes:

It’s 1-13/16”, I put Blue Locktite on the threads and zapped it on with a 3/4” impact, with the appropriate size air hose. It needs a bigger than standard hose. It’s a new nylon lock nut, only went on once.
View attachment 968793
I recently repacked a couple bucket cylinders from an old kubota. The packing nuts on those are round with a small dimple. You have to line that dimple up with the threaded fitting on the back end of the cylinder, stuff a 3/8 rod in (I used a bolt). This holds the nut in place while you loosen it by turning the rod. This is how it is called out in the FSM for removing and more importantly installing new packing. If you tighten the packing before installing into the cylinder it will be ruined as it is now compressed too much. It's a different set up, for sure.

20210126_180357.jpg20210126_172957.jpg20210131_184857.jpg20210131_184305.jpg

Bucket (tilt).
But the lift cylinders are set up the same on that model loader.

I know most require tightening prior to installation into the barrel. I went into this one blind, assuming it was no different, but pulled back when the packing was substantially larger than the diameter of the barrel when tightened. I found a reprint manual online and ordered it, read it (gasp) and learned something new 🙂

Had a great day in the woods. The whole family was out. The wife and kids made snowmen while I cut logs to 10' and used the tractor to skid logs to the old log landing. I was also a moving target for snowballs while I was driving through the woods! :crazy2:I scrounged a bunch of beech, some red oak and of course ash.20220227_155625.jpg20220227_160550.jpg20220227_160553.jpg20220227_160622.jpg20220227_160625.jpg

So the packing is squeezed between the halves of a two piece piston?
Yes, basically. I don't have good pics of the piston but it is shouldered for the packing glands and the piston nut, the round part with the indent, bottoms out on the piston shoulder to give the packing a specific preload.

Pic of Shouldered piston with packing. See how it is torn, I removed it without loosening the piston nut to relax the packing, not knowing what I was doing.
20210127_111441.jpg

Round nut with bolt (see barrel with bolt in pics above, this is how the piston nut is held in place to tighten everything up after assembled into the barrel)
20210131_184314.jpg

Had a great day in the woods. The whole family was out. The wife and kids made snowmen while I cut logs to 10' and used the tractor to skid logs to the old log landing. I was also a moving target for snowballs while I was driving through the woods! :crazy2:I scrounged a bunch of beech, some red oak and of course ash.View attachment 968889View attachment 968890View attachment 968891View attachment 968892View attachment 968893

I like your ballast. Is it filled with anything? I have thought long and hard about building a purpose built counterweight. Something I could still use to yard logs with. I have to drop my counter weight which I don't like, because I often could use the ballast when I turn around to grab the logs with my forks.

I like your ballast. Is it filled with anything? I have thought long and hard about building a purpose built counterweight. Something I could still use to yard logs with. I have to drop my counter weight which I don't like, because I often could use the ballast when I turn around to grab the logs with my forks.
Thanks! I don't have it filled. The option is there if I need to. My rear tires are filled with beet juice as well. I estimate it to weigh around 425-450 lbs going by steel weight tables. The plates are 1/2" with 4" I beams along the bottom and between the plates where the 3 pt mounts are welded on. I also have a chain box on it. Here's a little video of it.
View attachment received_2928650377461673.mp4

Latest posts

Back