Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This pastTuesday, the plan was to cut and split some wood yesterday at my friends place, but heavy rain left us drinking coffee in his barn. While shooting the breeze, we decided to trek over to our Husqvarna dealer. My friend bought some oil, filters and assorted other stuff - I bought NOTHING!!

While there, rain stopped and sun came out. On the ride home, we came across the remnants of a white oak that had been taken down by the county. The easy stuff was all taken and the only stuff left was the trunk and larger logs. Did I mention these parts were also up an embankment.

We found it really hard to drive away from all that good oak, so.... off to his place (15 minutes away) where we got his dump truck and farm tractor, saws and other "implements of destruction", and headed back.

We set out cones and got to work. These photos were taken while I waited for him to take the first load back to his place. All in all, two full dump loads. We'll process it at his farm later.

All in all, a good day!

IMG_6685.jpg

IMG_6687.jpg
IMG_6682.jpg
IMG_6692.jpg
IMG_6681.jpg

This pastTuesday, the plan was to cut and split some wood yesterday at my friends place, but heavy rain left us drinking coffee in his barn. While shooting the breeze, we decided to trek over to our Husqvarna dealer. My friend bought some oil, filters and assorted other stuff - I bought NOTHING!!

While there, rain stopped and sun came out. On the ride home, we came across the remnants of a white oak that had been taken down by the county. The easy stuff was all taken and the only stuff left was the trunk and larger logs. Did I mention these parts were also up an embankment.

We found it really hard to drive away from all that good oak, so.... off to his place (15 minutes away) where we got his dump truck and farm tractor, saws and other "implements of destruction", and headed back.

We set out cones and got to work. These photos were taken while I waited for him to take the first load back to his place. All in all, two full dump loads. We'll process it at his farm later.

All in all, a good day!

View attachment 420898

View attachment 420899
View attachment 420900
View attachment 420901
View attachment 420902
S U C K !!!!! yep! thats how you spell it!! good score.....

Yard Sailin tomorrow morning :) A sure sign of spring ...... I sure wish someone would call Mother Nature and let her know ...
You guys make it over to the pig site in case this site gets hacked for good ?
We can start a refugee scrounging thread over there , hate to miss out on all the scrounging and how you guys go about it with a bit of guns , whiskey , beer and maple syrup thrown in ..... BBBBBBacon as well LOL

Whoop! Finally, what I have been looking for, for two years now, I "scrounged" up a competition cooking guy. That's what I have wanted, guys looking for the best quality wood. He heard about me and came over to see my primo wood. Just freaked out, said it was the best wood he had seen. Gave him wholesale on around 5 buckets of hickory and cherry, it's going to a competition tomorrow. I fresh split some of my "sweet" honey oak for him and he's like this is unreal, but he didn't want to chance it at the cook off, but is gonna come back and experiment at home with some of that.

Here's a shot of the little 'scrounge' we got from a neighbor weekend before last, a couple of houses from mine. Little mix of oak, hickory, and I think maybe a type of elm, not sure of that one though (I split a couple of pieces of what I think is elm...pretty stringy stuff and just as light yellow on the inside as it can be). Almost like sweet gum but I know it's not that. It'll burn outside in the firepit regardless, Lol.
IMG_1072[1].jpg

This find here was as crazy as it can get...saw a 'Firewood For Sale' sign on one of the aircraft hangar breakroom post-it boards...said $25 pickup load, all red oak and hickory, you load, you haul. I told the guy I had a 5'x10' utility trailer and he said bring it on, so I asked him how much...again $25 a load and said stack it as high as you can safely get it down the road. Had I not forgot tie-downs to lay down first, I would've stacked up and down both sides as high as the center and cinched the ratchets down, could've gotten several more splits. He just wants to get rid of it...damndest thing I've ever seen for $25, I even offered a little more, he'd have nothing to do with it. There's enough left already split to make 3-4 more full trailer loads. He's got about 20-25 red oak/hickory logs that are anywhere from 16"-30" diameter, 20-30 feet long, that haven't even been bucked yet. Needless to say, we're heading back tomorrow for a few trips to get the rest of the split hardwood...rain keeping us from fooling with it today.
IMG_1107[1].jpg

T-shirt and bikini weather up here today so out to the woodpile we went :)
Got there and found that the road hand been raised about 3' this week .

IMG_20150425_122720.jpg

Which meant that the woodpile was now over there :(

IMG_20150425_122716.jpg

But , with a little help from mechanization it wasn't too much effort to get it close LOL

IMG_20150425_123447.jpg

IMG_20150425_123549.jpg

We got it all blocked up and I split up the bigger stuff for easier stacking , sorry bout the blurry pic .

IMG_20150425_131558.jpg

IMG_20150425_131604.jpg

IMG_20150425_134131.jpg

It was a great day , I got 2 1/2 van loads plus a load in Jerry's tundra home , Jerry took a load home at the end of the day .

IMG_20150425_144534.jpg

BTW , don't eat the yellow snow .

Back yard scrounge. Pine is from the neighbor. Oak from a stump I finished. There is oak from a tree that fell a few years ago. The out side was punky but the center is rock solid. I planned to cut the log into big chunks and roll it to the property line. But when I was throwing big chips when I cut it, the plan changed and the wood went to the woodpile. Now when I was finishing a cut and was off the throttle I heard a metal on metal sound. Turns out there was a small pile of barbed wire and chain linked fence under the log and the leaves. Thankfully no kickback just an odd sound and a chain that made a date with the grinder. Healthy reminder why we wear our PPE and always pay attention. There was no way to know what was under or in the log so stay sharp.

Backyard clean up scrounge with a few rounds of pine the neighbor left on the property line for me.
95a3c7b945eac97fabc4380528247b4a.jpg

Latest posts

Back