Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can shoot a deer standing under my apple trees but I can't put apples near my treestand and shoot a deer. Well I can but.:rolleyes::innocent:
Same here, I plant apple trees around my food plot and maintain the native ones with pruning and fert. Definitely has improved there apple producing capacity as some year's before instarted doing that they wouldn't fruit at all

More wood to cut and split. Hickory, Elm, Maple next.
I got all the Ash done last season so it's all on the 'next to burn' racks under the decks and the two portable racks in front of them. The pic shows one set of racks. There's a set like this on each side of the entry doors where the woodstove sits inside and both hold about 2 1/2 cords altogether.

IMG_20221017_154309202.jpg IMG_20221017_154253466.jpg

Some aromatic Red Cedars I dropped for a customer needing help clearing a build site. He had given me many Ash and Ironwood trees from the same site so I did this part for free.
Not sure what I'll do with it as I don't burn it in the woodstove.
I may use some for kindling or sell it for campfire wood to travelers.
It'll sit till next year either way.

IMG_20220929_141548871_HDR.jpg IMG_20221009_174116902.jpg

curious what you carry when out and about down there. I carry a 629-2 Mountian revolver in 44 mag when I’m out in the woods, but the rest of the time and around the house I carry a XDM elite in 10mm.
I have a 629 Back Packer... 3" barrel. I've taken whitetail with it. 1911 is for social work.

Have there been laws restricting hunting?
Around here it is mostly a problem of development eliminating huntable land. On top of that the recent law that requires you to have explicit permission to bring a gun on private property is presenting problems as now landowners are thinking about liability... This despite NY State General Obligation law that gives property owners immunity if someone is injured while engaged in various activities that include walking, hiking, bicycling, hunting, etc. as long as the landowner isn't charging for the access. Tractor Supply is the only local store I know of that posted a sign saying legal concealed carry is okay in their store.

Dang, I'm jealous of the ducks. Work had me away from home for all of hunting season this year, and the waterfowl is long gone at this point.

I did get to whack a squirrel with my new Browning BL22 though while working around the cabin.

View attachment 1026176
Get a few more and they make a great stew with rice, carrots, onions, peppers and more. It tastes like chicken.

Around here it is mostly a problem of development eliminating huntable land. On top of that the recent law that requires you to have explicit permission to bring a gun on private property is presenting problems as now landowners are thinking about liability... This despite NY State General Obligation law that gives property owners immunity if someone is injured while engaged in various activities that include walking, hiking, bicycling, hunting, etc. as long as the landowner isn't charging for the access. Tractor Supply is the only local store I know of that posted a sign saying legal concealed carry is okay in their store.
I believe that law was repealed.

They have been getting lots of pics of a bear in my neighborhood recently, mostly at night.

Recently, a 10 year old kid was attacked in CT in his backyard.

Black Bears have definitely been expanding their range in NY.
They are spreading everywhere. Years ago I would rarely hear about them near me in Central Mass. Now it is almost a daily thing to hear about them in someone's yard.

I believe that law was repealed.
At this moment (subject to change any second!) a judge put a stay on parts of it but a higher court has to review it... The state appealed the stay and in the long run it will undoubtedly be found unconstitutional in light of SCOTUS's ruling in NYSRPA v Bruen. For now it's in force... and the damage it did by making property owners concerned is going to last a long time.

IF brown bears were so aggressive and always trying to eat people, I wouldn't have had to work so hard every time I wanted to hunt/shoot one!!

Everyone we got, we WORKED for it!

SR
Most definitely. But there is always that "one" out there that will try and taky you out! Wether a person comes across that animal accidentally or not, is another story. We've had a mauling this year on Afognak a couple weeks ago. They are simply an unpredictable animal and can not be trusted. I would think with your experience hunting bruin. You'd know that. As much time as I spend working and recreating in the woods. I'm gonna pack heat! I'd rather have it and not need it. Than need it and not have it! Thats the bottom line plain and simple. I've been stalked by brown bear more than once and bluff charged by brown bear more than once! I don't take chances or put anything on faith when it comes to that animal. 👍

Most definitely. But there is always that "one" out there that will try and taky you out! Wether a person comes across that animal accidentally or not, is another story. We've had a mauling this year on Afognak a couple weeks ago. They are simply a unpredictable animal and can not be trusted. I would think with your experience hunting bruin. You'd know that. As much time as I spend working and recreating in the woods. I'm gonna pack heat! I'd rather have it and not need it. Than need it and not have it! Thats the bottom line plain and simple. I've been stalked by brown bear more than once and bluff charged by brown bear more than once! I don't take chances or put anything on faith when it comes to that animal. 👍
I’ve heard of more attacks from interior grizzlies and grizzlies in lower 48, seems like every year Wyoming and Montana. I definitely agree I won’t go out without a gun, anywhere actually. When we lived in Seward our neighbor was attacked by a brown bear, messed him up pretty bad. Several brown bear attacks around cooperlanding-kenai river and the Boy Scouts on resurrection pass trail. I carried a 44 with 300 gr hard cast loads for awhile then bought a ruger super redhawk in 480 carried last few years we were there.

Latest posts

Back