Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s funny how with square filing the general consensus is that the grinder is better, but with round filing the opposite seems to be the normal view.
I think that it has more to do with the initial shaping of the cutters. Round chain comes that way from the factory.

While you can buy some factory square ground chain, a lot of guys convert it from round, then square file to sharpen.

With the cost of some double bevel files being 12 times that of round chainsaw files (!!!!!!!!!!!!), it is expensive and time consuming to use a file to convert. But Silvey and Simington grinders are pricy, even used.

I am watching this thread with interest:
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/i-can-square-grind-with-my-round-grinder.358884/
Philbert (and other stuff)

I was going to say, "please don't bother doing that!"

Pics of "scrounging of nature's bounty" have been posted for a good while much to the enjoyment of the vast majority of folks on this site. Sometimes there are pictures of critters that don't live near you (that are fascinating to see).

Let's face it, there are some folks out there that would get upset if I posted pictures of my vegetable garden harvesting, because I'm killing plants!

Most of the folks on this site are outdoorsmen who appreciate all the stuff that is posted. (Women are also welcome, did not mean to leave anyone out!).

Let's just carry on unless there are things really over the line and THANK YOU VERY MUCH for making the title change. It should make things easier to stay compliant.

Many of the most reviled of our members have been moderators. There ain't no way of pleasing everyone. I'd name names, but that would be worthy of a report and subsequent deletion.

I think I was selected for this job on account of my thick skin and relative lack of popularity. It certainly wasn't because I was the charismatic leader of any forum.

Tell them to contact me and I'll take care of the heavy lifting, and possibly saying things that might offend.

We've know that...

1666581349765.png

C'mon now. Be nice. I didn't say I was a helpless hey-boy.
I still got plenty of arrows in the quiver, should a likely target pop up, beggin' to be shot.

I think that it has more to do with the initial shaping of the cutters. Round chain comes that way from the factory.

While you can buy some factory square ground chain, a lot of guys convert it from round, then square file to sharpen.

With the cost of some double bevel files being 12 times that of round chainsaw files (!!!!!!!!!!!!), it is expensive and time consuming to use a file to convert. But Silvey and Simington grinders are pricy, even used.

I am watching this thread with interest:
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/i-can-square-grind-with-my-round-grinder.358884/
Philbert (and other stuff)
I have often converted round (full chisel) to square. You don't have to "go crazy" with it.

If you get the angles right, and the corner of the file in the corner of the tooth, you can convert it a little at a time (start with the corner) and it will cut just great (like a goofy filed tooth). Subsequent filing will convert the rest of the tooth soon enough.

Some folks try to do too much at once, which often just makes it more difficult to get it right.

"Fatigue" is the enemy, try to avoid it and just do a little at a time.

I have often converted round (full chisel) to square. You don't have to "go crazy" with it.

If you get the angles right, and the corner of the file in the corner of the tooth, you can convert it a little at a time (start with the corner) and it will cut just great (like a goofy filed tooth). Subsequent filing will convert the rest of the tooth soon enough.

Some folks try to do too much at once, which often just makes it more difficult to get it right.

"Fatigue" is the enemy, try to avoid it and just do a little at a time.
🤔 So finesse and no fatigue is key when using a file? I like it! I've never converted round to square myself. Though I've often thought it wood be easy to do with a grinder, and like you said. A little at a time. Makes sense to me! 👍

Enough, Enough, Enough!

If all the off-topic stuff was deleted from this thread, you would lose half the posters and 3/4 of the posts.

You moved my post that was a joke about bear scat, there were no pics of dead animals (or dead hikers), so WHY!!!

The vast majority of folks on this thread are good with the variety of topics (and actually like it that way), so:

1) Why don't you just re-name the thread (Scrounging Firewood and other stuff),

2) Or relocate those who object to a crying towel thread.

I want to see the results of what folk's harvest on this thread, and the vast majority of posters here would agree with that, so let's stop the political nonsense and move on. This is getting absurd.
The bear scat post was honestly the best thing I’ve read on this thread in months. Still LMAO

Many of the most reviled of our members have been moderators. There ain't no way of pleasing everyone. I'd name names, but that would be worthy of a report and subsequent deletion.

I think I was selected for this job on account of my thick skin and relative lack of popularity. It certainly wasn't because I was the charismatic leader of any forum.
These sites don’t work without moderators. Thank you.

(I hope that you at least get some extra A.S. stickers for all your effort!).

Philbert

Obviously I don’t own the site and I’m not a moderator anymore so my opinion really doesn’t matter. But I don’t see why tasteful harvest pictures wouldn’t be allowed? If there’s excessive blood, guts hanging out, etc nobody wants to see that anyway. But a good clean harvest photo should be fine IMHO.

Unless someone is a vegan, they’ve got no business telling us what we should or shouldn’t do with game animals that have been legally taken. I can guarantee you that my harvested game is treated better than the hamburger you get from the store.

Latest posts

Back