Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MY experience is that Claro "generally" make a prettier stock than Blk., but Blk walnut makes a denser stronger stock. I do not believe they are the same species, from different regions.

I have some pretty nice claro walnut stocks, they can be very pretty... I was friends with a head honcho at Pachmayer Gun Works, (Steve) back when Frank Pachmayer was still alive. BTW, Frank was a great guy to talk with, he was very free with his info. I also became friends with their head sawyer in Oroville, Andy Gardener, what a great guy.

Andy and me hit it right off, we would spend hours talking gunstocks and stock wood, at the time he had been milling out all of Pachmayers stock wood for more than 45 years, I could spend at much time there as I wanted, nosing around, picking out stocks to buy. As Steve would say, "that's where all the good wood is". I bought and sold a LOT of stock wood from there.

Andy gifted me, a VERY spl. stock one day, he had it hid in a closet, and he asked that I put it on a gun for myself and I did! It's a naturally grafted French and Bastone, you can see the graft line right in the stock and forearm.

He had only seen two of them in more than 45 years of milling out gunstocks, it's absolutely amazing!

SR
hi SR - that is one reason i have my lil hammer still in kitchen. my Dad was an award winning gunsmith... and some of his stock were finished with Varathane. he would work the finish so that it was perfect as clean glass. pumice, etc. mine will just be finished to glass-like reflections... not a shop tool, to be household hammer for up at the ranch. interesting story, the lil claw hammer...

A smaller bore magnum like this is certainly not ideal for trophy hogs but with over 3200 foot pounds of energy, it worked. Two bullets did not break the hog's shoulder..that's how damn tough those things are. As a side note, hogs are usually head shot but i did not want to ruin the skull on a trophy hog so tried to put the first shot right behind the head but ended up hitting the shoulder blade (they really do not have much of a neck).

I think my .35 whelen improved will become my dedicated hog gun but need to work out some good loads for it first.

Our guide said he has seen hogs hit in the head with .223's run off never to be found. I believe it.
the new series Dirty Jobs had mobile butcher on other nite. the initial act for the buthering was with a .22 Magnum round

My dad and I have shot a lot of game over the years with 7mm Rem mag and 7mm Weatherby mag. They cause mass destruction in ungulate species of big game if you connect with muscle mass so it was eye opening to see how little happened to the hog. Totally different beasts.
7mm Mausers here....

In less than 3-4, minutes the hog had totalled the truck, just stood and looked at us, and then turned and ran off when he figured he wasn't shaking us out of the truck, probably a little winded after what he did to the truck. Long before cell phones, we had to walk (run) out of the woods and a couple miles to the store to call his Dad. Sherrif pulls into the store and questions us because we carried our rifles and backpacks with us, and I smelled like spilt beer..... But when he heard it and he knew Jamies Dad, offered us a ride, but his Dad was on his way.....

One more.

My Nephew is a licensed trapper as well as Captain. He was releasing a good sized boar he cage trapped in a golf course community, from the back of his truck right out of the cage he winched into it with the captive.

Opens the door and stands to the side of his truck bed, Boar hits the ground and in two steps had made two right hand turns and gores my nephew in the back of the knee, then runs off. He had kind of seen it coming, and was trying to jump onto the bed rail, but the Boar was quick. Put some old t-shirt on it and wrapped a bandana on it and drives to My SIL's house. an ER nurse, and she freaks on him (her son) and took him to the ER. He was so very lucky, missed alot of imprtant stuff in there, but it was a big bloody mess and real deep. Had a little emergency work done, but ultimately got admitted and in the morning had a Surgeon open it and really clean it up.

WIld Hogs dont play.
>WIld Hogs dont play.

...not nice at all! i see their bs trax often. too often. always pzz me off. but the pastures heal...

A legendary cartridge, as are it's offspring. One of my best friends shot a deer with a .257 Roberts and I have 8mm Mauser brass on my reloading bench right now for a friend.
I've had a .257 Roberts for about 40 years. Great round... mostly used it for woodchuck hunting. My buddy used a .243 Win... Both worked well in hilly windy terrain.

Back