Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a plastic spray bottle full of premixed gasoline. Works great for stuff with bad fuel lines and the gasoline hasnt dissolved the plastic at all.
Going to have to try that. I sure hope the less than a year old trimmer doesn't have bad fuel lines since only 89 pure gas mix has been run in it. But Chinese craftsman quality it would not surprise me.

All last winter they logged across the street, all giant mechanized. Yesterday they started to chew up what they left. Man, another "every boy needs one"! tool..it is really big! I think it is this model:

http://www.tigercat.com/product/m718e-mulcher/

Attachments

• IMG_20150625_124158.jpg
    IMG_20150625_124158.jpg
    520.9 KB · Views: 54
Pretty nice, that would sure make short work of things. I wonder how it handles rocks ?

Not sure on rocks, small ones proly stir em up, bigger ones,,uhh,,I doubt it, but it's got grunt to spare. A neighbor has the same 5085 JD model that my boss just bought, and he got stuck deluxe trying to mow in that field in the pic. (I am noticing a theme with these big heavy JD tractors vs. georgia mud now... they suck, at least with the stock wheels)

First they tried to pull it out with a dumptruck from the road, (he was stuck only a pass or so in from the road in a soft spot) no dice, so they walked back into the woods and had the guy with the big tigercat to come out and do it. Hauled it out like nuthing, idled it out.

In retrospect and looking at the pics and stuff at the tigercat site, I think it is really the next larger model, with the longer square boxy back end, the 500 horse one. The mulcher part looks like what is on the smaller model, but the machine itself looks like the larger wheeled version. Geez loweez the tracked ones must be the mecha version of godzilla!

Put in a full days work today, started the morning dropping three tall leaners, and the two Oak were both badly rotten, my notchs did not do S***!

Luckily, I realized they were rotted, and tied one at 90 degrees cause I did not want to take out the play site. Left the hinge a little thick on the Black Birch, and it went down spot on the money. Actually, all three landed where I said they would, but those two Oaks were scary to work with, they both went real early, and I was on a steep slope with rocks and no escape route!

More trees in the PM, but nothing challenging, and dragged an Ash log out of the woods with the ATV winch and cut it up (see rounds in last pic).

Did all the work with the 362 and 044 #2. They make a great 2 saw combo, the 362 for limbing and the 044 for bucking. The new recipe port job Randy put on that 044 is just animal, it is impressing the heck out of me since I leaned the saw out after break in.

The weather was great, did not get soaking wet from sweat like last week, but the property owner just could not believe that a guy my age was still going strong at the end of the day, it sort of made me keep going! (we were picking up the rounds and putting them in the ATV drawn trailer, almost reminds me of yesteryear and loading the hay wagons on my Uncle's farm).

That is the owner in the pics, he did help out all day long, but was burned out at the end of the day.

Hope everyone enjoyed this beautiful day, enjoy the pics!

Attachments

• Wood6-26-15 001.jpg
    Wood6-26-15 001.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 72
  • Wood6-26-15 002.jpg
    Wood6-26-15 002.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 77
  • Wood6-26-15 003.jpg
    Wood6-26-15 003.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 72
  • Wood6-26-15 004.jpg
    Wood6-26-15 004.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 72
  • Wood6-26-15 005.jpg
    Wood6-26-15 005.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 70
  • Wood6-26-15 006.jpg
    Wood6-26-15 006.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 70
  • Wood6-26-15 008.jpg
    Wood6-26-15 008.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 70
  • Wood6-26-15 010.jpg
    Wood6-26-15 010.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 64
Slightly OT

What is it with string trimmers??? I swear they are the least reliable piece of OPE out there.

Of all of my spark plug toys I spend more time working on my string trimmers than everything else put together. I have three and only one of them runs. Actually runs great once I got those stupid caps off the carb screws and gave it s tune. Would barely start and ran at about half power before that.

I'm just about ready to throw the rest in the trash and sharpen up the scythe.

Amen! I was just thinking the same damn thing. My POS trimmer is barely a year old and is already giving me issues. The sucker refuses to run unless at full choke. I have to take the carb apart and clean/rebuild I guess. When those stupid things actualy run I also have issues with the line refusing to come out of the trimmer head. I may just buy a bunch of Roundup and just spray along the perimeter of my yard.

That's why so many of these companies are going to a universal battery/charger system and then various yard tools. They start instantly and work. The industry is still shaking out, but for sure this is the hand writing on the wall for the future, especially for just one yard quantity work tools.

Yep, I may go to a battery powered trimmer soon. Mother in-law owns a bunch of battery powered tools. They're all the exact same brand since her husband is a freaking great mechanic/handyman/near genius. Now she has all these battery packs to cycle through. She owns a hand held battery powered tiller/aerator. I didn't think it would last long but she's able to do her whole garden with it (granted it's on the small size).

Brother in-law owns a battery powered trimmer and cuts his whole yard. Co-worker uses a battery powered mower for his yard. I think it's time for me to ditch small gasoline burning engines (except for the Makita saw of course). Battery powered trimmer, maybe one of those old school push mowers (the ones with the rotating blades), and a hand held tiller/aerator. Only downside to battery powered tools is the freaking batteries cost as much as the tools themselves.

I pretty much suck with all 2 strokes. My trimmer, all my saws, and my sons dirt bike all seem to need something every time I go to use one. Fix one thing, then something else goes wrong. Ive got a dozen saws, different manufacturers, only the pos Poulan starts regularly. Ive already switched to an electric chainsaw, and a string trimmer is next.

Amen. I'm kinda the same way except my chainsaw runs like champ. My old ass Craftsman mower always starts on the 3rd pull as well. Everything else is extremely unreliable. I like to fiddle with things but I'm extremely pressed for time and would prefer to mess with something out not out of necessity but rather personal choice.

Almost forgot, we had a freaking ton of rain yesterday. I'm sure at least a handful of trees fell over nearby. I'll be on the lookout for them.

My Permethrin solution arrived in the mail yesterday. Going to treat my scrounge gear today in preparation for the upcoming weekend. I'm going to finish up my scrounge site once and for all then become a picky scrounger as I'll be several years ahead on firewood.

Now I'm off to cut the grass with my POS trimmer and work on my car. Need to cool down after typing all this while my computer continuously messed with me and moved my cursor around causing unintended letters to pop up all over the place. Stupid track pad.

Almost forgot, we had a freaking ton of rain yesterday. I'm sure at least a handful of trees fell over nearby. I'll be on the lookout for them.

My Permethrin solution arrived in the mail yesterday. Going to treat my scrounge gear today in preparation for the upcoming weekend. I'm going to finish up my scrounge site once and for all then become a picky scrounger as I'll be several years ahead on firewood.

Now I'm off to cut the grass with my POS trimmer and work on my car. Need to cool down after typing all this while my computer continuously messed with me and moved my cursor around causing unintended letters to pop up all over the place. Stupid track pad.

I have an old laptop I swapped for, but I use a full size keyboard and real mouse with it, cheap USB plug in kind. I'd like to find a cheap even more powerful laptop with a dead screen, then just use it like a desktop, get like a 21 inch flatscreen monitor for it.

I was using desktops and gradually upgrading them, but having the laptop battery is SO NICE out here. The power goes out all the time, meh, can stay online for hours anyway now, and not have to use the phone with the dinky almost invisible buttons.

One of my customers called me this week , wanted to know how much it was to replace the batteries on his cordless mower that he bought used last summer , he threw the mower out after he found out that the 3 were more than what he paid .
No scrounging this weekend but I started to relocate some loose piled stuff today , I even re-purposed some of my fence posts .

Hy_bzQqmst3itgBBsDCvPLoHlbqcw3kUV-IvdzD6ECY=w1223-h917-no

Got a cord moved and stacked before the rains got here , room for 2 more :)

I think I earned the "You Suck" award today.

A local tree service guy has had a broken 460 in his truck for over a year, and I've asked him numerous times to drop it off and let me see if I can fix it. The estimate from the dealer was off the charts (but I'm not sure if the dealer looked at it). The tree guy told me the top end was fried and it had no compression and would not start.

Well, he owed me $150 for a log that went to the mill, so I asked him if he wanted to give me the parts saw instead. He said "are you sure", I said yea, I will take it.

Turns out the CR was stuck down, I pried it up with a screwdriver, dumped the old fuel and put some fresh stuff in, and she started right up! Then I put a 20" B&C on it (cause I have an extra one of those) and she cut real nice! It is a much better out come than I was expecting!

She is dirty, stained, scuffed & scratched, but nothing is broken and she runs real well!

I think I earned the "You Suck" award today.

A local tree service guy has had a broken 460 in his truck for over a year, and I've asked him numerous times to drop it off and let me see if I can fix it. The estimate from the dealer was off the charts (but I'm not sure if the dealer looked at it). The tree guy told me the top end was fried and it had no compression and would not start.

Well, he owed me $150 for a log that went to the mill, so I asked him if he wanted to give me the parts saw instead. He said "are you sure", I said yea, I will take it.

Turns out the CR was stuck down, I pried it up with a screwdriver, dumped the old fuel and put some fresh stuff in, and she started right up! Then I put a 20" B&C on it (cause I have an extra one of those) and she cut real nice! It is a much better out come than I was expecting!

She is dirty, stained, scuffed & scratched, but nothing is broken and she runs real well!

You suck!!! with luckout clusters and easy fix oak leaves!

Latest posts

Back